Deciding where to live in Ho Chi Minh City

Yes, there are plenty of "villas" around Phu My and Phu My Hung that would suite.  About 3 years ago, my friends lived in one, 3 stories, many rooms for $1200/month.  Lots of dogs,big and little, in the area.  I'm back home in Canada now but will write a friend who still lives in Sky Gardens and have her recommend an agent.  When we were teaching there 3 years ago, the average cost of tuition at one of these schools was around 12,000-15,000/year, often with discount for second child.  "Playing outside" is a bit different in Vietnam than Aus. or Canada... there's more concrete, less green space, but around Phu My there are a few more green spaces and most people come out at night to play as it's quite hot during the day, although you do get used to it.

Hi,
I am surprised the CBA hasn't addressed the Taxation position and health insurance requirements prior to offering that position here.

The TAX issue is the main thing to look at.  Non resident Tax is about 31 cents FLAT . It depends on the circumstances of the job and the Tax office looks at each case individually.  Also Medicare entitlements are affected .  If your home on a visit and have an accident or health issue Medicare can't be relied on.

There is a Tax treaty between Australia and Vietnam to help eliminate double tax, but that should have been explained in the package offered.
Also "Travel " insurance can get interesting if they know your actually living here.   Workers compensation should be part of the package offered as well. There is expat health insurance (advertised here) for reference , but expats can get very reasonable cover thru local companies.   

I'd be looking at what the Bank is offering in the deal.

Finding a place shouldn't be too hard.  There's a surplus of empty apartments that require tenants.  District 7 would be a good option as earlier suggested, but the dogs can limit your options.

A friend brought his dog here from Thailand . The procedure is simple compared to other countries..
HOWEVER.....taking the dogs back into Australia won't be simple. You may be looking at serious quarantine issues.  Australia is strict in that area. I'd check that out as well with the Australian quarantine mob.   

If your here long enough for the oldest child to require schooling, that can be expensive.   A good international school will be "ball park" around $1000 USD a month.   That's $1450 Aussie $.   Will the bank offer school fees subsidy in the package???? Because if the Aussie goes to 60 cents as some predict ,that's $1700 a month.   It may take the gloss of the salary offered.

Sometimes finding a place to stay is the easy part.

Good luck and hope it goes well.

Thanks for info.

My husband goes for a meeting on Thursday which I assume goes into more depth at minute it was an offer with a money value & asked if he's interested. I'm bit anxious about it & have been trying to find out as much as possible beforehand. I will tell him to ensure those things you mentioned are addressed in that meeting, especially schooling!!

We would have to stay in Vietnam until our dogs pass as I wouldn't want to put them through that stress coming back to OZ, they are 10 & 9 now.

I really appreciate all the help & info it's so dauting for me!

Hi MJLKAL,

Did you get my email ?

No, give me your email & I'll email you & you can reply.
Those villas look amazing I've had a look at them online.

Thanks

Hi Mjlkal,

You can send your email to this email : b**********************

Thanks.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security

Hi Mjlkal,

Please check your private message, you can see my email.

Thanks,

Hi Mjlkal,

Sorry I am wrong , because can not send private message on this website.

I had send email to you yesterday.  You can check in the junk email and another email items if can not see in the inbox.

From now on to the end of this year, Lakeview Villas having a big promotion is discount 15% on the public rates :)

You can send to me villas.sales AT vietnamgolfcc.com 

If not receive the email, please tell me know.

Thanks.