Moving to PP to open a cafe/ bar

Dose anyone have any advice? Ill be landing in PP in a few weeks and would like to open a small cafe/ bar. I'm not set on that it be in PP but that's where I'll start looking. I just plan on getting a business visa when I land (good idea?)I have about $5000- 10000 usd. Is that even enough to get something started? I have been backpacking around Asia since January but have been renting a small bar in Malaysia for the last few months. but I would like to get back to Cambodia again. I am not thinking of getting rich, just sustaining my lifestyle. Any help would be much appreciated.

Yes obtain your business visa upon arrival (apparently now called ordinary visa)$25.

Here in Phnom Penh there are many small cafe/bars, many of course do not work, the Golden Sorya on Street 51 has seen small cafe/bars spring up and not all have a lot of customers.

The trick in my mind is to offer something different, many places offer the same or similar menus. How about a tapas bar? or a traditional British style cafe?

Perhaps the sum of $5,000 is rather small, but could be done, but would be tight, $10,000 is a better sum to start a business that is more likely to survive.

Where to base your business?

You will need to visit Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville and spend some time getting a feel of these places, then choose the one that feels right.

1. Siem Reap is very touristy, this is good for a business, but a lot of food places and bars are there already.

2. Sihanoukville is great if your customers will be backpackers and you are based near the beach of Serendipity, but the rainy season is very rainy and quiet.

3. Phnom Penh is an all year round city, good size expat population and tourists as well, a lot more foreigners work here. Many expats are on a budget of course, so they like cheap beer.

You will need to know who your clients will be and how much they are willing to pay.

You will need to stand out, be bold and be new.

1. Offer something different.
2. Offer great service, this is lacking here in many places.
3. Location of course.
4. You must keep the rent as low as possible or be strangled by it.

Remember you will need a business licence, this can cost $200-300 and then tax registration of $300 per year and then of course the monthly tax.

[Moderated: Off topic]

Thank you. There is a lot of helpfull info. I backpacked Cambodia for a month and was thinking PP or kampot. Do you know how much I can expect to pay for a small place in an alright location? And do I have to get the business licence and tax registration  forms filed out before I rent and open a place or is there some grace time?

Well, for business area start with 400usd

hi..
u need the rental agreement in order to register your business :/..

Perfect, thank you

Rental in Phnom Penh can vary depending on the size and area of course, on the riverside you can expect to pay anywhere from $1,000-$1,500 per month. Price also depends on if you wish a shop front or with rooms above, $400 is mention and I would say $600 per month is also a price for a good spot.

Seriously save your money with that little amount you will fail miserably ... Inexperience and  underfunded = failure  sorry all businesses are slow at this time and only surcive because they are funded elsewhere

Hi, Wimbleton! You mentioned in June that businesses are slow. Was it for low season? How is the catering business situation now in PP?

Can't help you much I am afraid but I am Canadian also, would be good customer if you open in PP. My friend wants to sell his bar but is right in front of the Royal Palace, he wanted 30, yes he is DREAMING I think but what do I know. Last time I talked to him about selling though was 4 or 5 months ago, he wants out of the country so it could be less now.  If you get here and want to meet him let me know.
If you want to go for a drink with a fellow Canadian let me know as well. Been here for about 6 months now, from Halifax.

@Acadian450 - is your friend's bar still for sale? I wouldn't mind having a look.

I may be missing something however i have not seen one restaurant,or bar  that i would consider purchasing  ..as you are aware the restaurant and bar business is the most time consumimg, , and has the largest failure rate .... That said , dont listen to me come stay several months to get your own take on it ! Location ,location location ...however the rents are tooooo high in these good locations !

I will check on the weekend ok.lost my phone awhile back so I don't have his number. It was for sale a couple of weeks ago, so unless he sold it since then it should be for sale.

Barry

I have a bar now on Victory Hill. A lot of people selling their bars are dreaming up numbers, but at the end of the day a bar is only worth the lease and what ever it comes with (chairs, stools, fridge...second hand) Its easy to get ripped off if you don't know how things work here.I have only bought a 6 month lease this time on a running bar and guest house. I have the option to extend but I wanted learn a bit more about doing business in Cambodia before I take on 5 years. Plus it minimized my initial investment so reduced my chance to lose everything. I have had it 6 weeks and could walk away leave all the booze and still have all the money I put in.

Hey Im in Sihanoukville now Im pretty busy now but if you're heading this way let me know and we can meet up some place.

yes if you have ,we can meet some where to talk about it
thanks

I have the bongo lounge on Victory Hill. Anyone in the area is of course welcome to stop in and say hi.