Please Help! Might be moving to Bahrain!

Hi All,
Just looking for a little information about living in Bahrain and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My boyfriend has the opportunity for a position in Bahrain, which he is very interested in, we are still unsure of the total package, and it is still very up in the air but we were just wanting to get a feel for things...

First, we aren't married... What problems does this posess? I know that there will be issues in regards to visas but I have heard of couples where one person enters on a tourist visa, then just crosses the border every 3 months... how do-able is that? It would appear that it would not be necessary for me to gain employment immeadiately financially.

Secondly, if we were to do that, what are the opporunities for English speaking people to gain employment once there? Such at reception/ secretarial work or teaching english? How easy is it to gain sponsership for a working visa?

Thirdly, it looks like housing wise we would get 1000 a month, then the salary on top of that. What is the cost of living like in Bahrain? We have no children so that would not be an issue?

If we were to accept the position, where is the best area of Bahrain to live? We are a young english speaking couple.

Thank you all in advance of your responces.

1000 BD is more than enough for living expense in Bahrain. I am currently living in a decent studio in Juffair for around 300. You may want to check out Amwaj Islands if you enjoy living in a posh apartment by the sea. As for English speaking people I am sure there are plenty of jobs, the only problem is finding them. Networking usually helps a lot in Bahrain from what I have noticed. Though from what I hear most recognized schools are hiring English teachers all the time. Hope that helped

Hi Soon2BXpat,

Yes, I did end up in Bahrain. I have been here a month and a half and am loving every minute of it.
The move went very well, however, our shipping company on the other hand... our belongings are still in transit! :O But due here shortly! My biggest piece of advice is don't scrimp on the shipping :)
As for hardest part of the relocation, I guess it is establishing yourself within the community with a social network. I have been lucky and met some brilliant people here so far and always happy to meet more. So if you do end up over here, then would love to catch up for a coffee...

I dont really know what else to tell you, if you have any specific questions/ concerns, please feel free to email me, I am always happy to help! I know how daunting it is to move to here, but Bahrain is a wonderful country and I am loving every minute of it.

I see your from Surfers Paradise - Im from Brisbane originally - im actually holidaying in surfers in a month :) There seem to be a lot of Aussies over here from the Gold Coast, Ive met a few.

Anyways, If you have any questions - no matter how silly and small they may seem, please feel free to email me! Im always happy to answer - I know how daunting it can be :
Good luck with it all :)

No problems!
Look forward to receiving them :) it will give me something to do during Ramadan and the heat :)
x

Hi eaussie!!

I think we should be friends!!!

Please say yes

xx

glad thinsg turned out fine.

If u need a guide to show u around contact me

All old places and traditional locations,

The true and real Bahrain

First, we aren't married... What problems does this posess? I know that there will be issues in regards to visas but I have heard of couples where one person enters on a tourist visa, then just crosses the border every 3 months... how do-able is that? It would appear that it would not be necessary for me to gain employment immeadiately financially.

Hi, just wondering if you are still in Bahrain on a 3month visa and if you have had any problems with getting it renewed

Thanks in advance

hey hope you guys have settled in smooth? i think its time for another meetup with the new comers?! lets try and get something organized this time..will post in the other thread where everyones discussed it on previous occasions..