Working a freelance therapist

i need some suggestions regarding legalities working as a therapist in Vietnam. I have some twenty years experience in a variety of pain release modalities (deep                          tissue,kinesiology(NOT),scenar, craniosacral balancing). Basically if it is muscular/skeletal (back pain, frozen shoulder etc)I can effect it for the better, quickly. I don't want to set up a shopfront and I don't need a partner (both of these maybe later). To begin with All I need is a suitable space and a massage table.

keerti wrote:

i need some suggestions regarding legalities working as a therapist in Vietnam. I have some twenty years experience in a variety of pain release modalities (deep                       tissue,kinesiology(NOT),scenar, craniosacral balancing). Basically if it is muscular/skeletal (back pain, frozen shoulder etc)I can effect it for the better, quickly. I don't want to set up a shopfront and I don't need a partner (both of these maybe later). To begin with All I need is a suitable space and a massage table.

Are you a Physiotherapist(Bachelor of Doctor) or just want to start a massage service?
In both case you do need to register to start it. Otherwise Police will be threaten for you. Another way without registration (risk)
is give 'something' to the police man who is in charge of your residence.

Hi Charma,
         thanks for your reply.How do I go about registering? Which department? Cost? And how much monthly graft might be asked for? What do I need to register? Any other information, ideas gratefully accepted.
Keerti

I would suggest if you want to do it as a business, head down to an Auscham meeting and ask some of the people at those meetings how to do it.You will have to have a VN name on the license if you want to do it legit.Save yourself the time and hassle and get someone to go see the local mafia boss(police) and pay him.I know its wrong, but its a lot more hassle if you start a business.

colinoscapee wrote:

I would suggest if you want to do it as a business, head down to an Auscham meeting and ask some of the people at those meetings how to do it.You will have to have a VN name on the license if you want to do it legit.Save yourself the time and hassle and get someone to go see the local mafia boss(police) and pay him.I know its wrong, but its a lot more hassle if you start a business.

What wrong brother? It's the 'precedent' in majority world.
@Keerthi
Anyway, starting a business is not much difficult if you have money.But in your case, you didn't answer again, you should register even a small business because you are foreigner. If VN citizens they may allow(illegal). You should give a detailed picture of your plan, so I we may answer.

Actually I don't have a problem with a bit of graft....I lived in India for a few years and just accept it as a part of doing business.... the only thing is to make sure everybody is clear about what is happening. what is expected.
   Charma, thank you for your offer. Could I mail you privately please?
Keerti

keerti wrote:

Actually I don't have a problem with a bit of graft....I lived in India for a few years and just accept it as a part of doing business.... the only thing is to make sure everybody is clear about what is happening. what is expected.
   Charma, thank you for your offer. Could I mail you privately please?
Keerti

sure brother.

Im not your brother.

Keerti,

You probably will have to get a work permit or register as a Massage Therapist. Just like the states, they think this will curb prostitution. If you register a company, which you can now do without a VN partner you may not have as much of a problem because once the company is registered you can apply for a temporary resident permit which will allow you to work in your business. It will cost around $200 +/- so it makes sense to just register and not have to pay the unofficial "fee" all the time and worry that they may shut you down and deport you.

Funny you should mention doing this because I had also thought about doing it since I had practiced for about 18 years. I owned a small chair massage business which contracted with 7 Wholefoods Markets and their Florida region headquarters. You may have heard of it, My Massage Corner, I was given a Best Practices Award by Massage Magazine a few years back.

thanks Doc,
          nice clear info>

keerti