Single Woman looking to "retire"

I am a single woman (not yet 40) looking to check out South and Central America, with the possibility of staying long-term.

I'm currently researching Panama, Ecuador and Nicaragua... but am having a difficult time in trying to determine which!

I'm hoping that some might be able to shed some light and advise as to why Panama might be a better fit, as opposed to the other areas I am looking at.

I definitely want to go somewhere that has a active and welcoming expat community, preferably with some younger folk too!

And Coastal/beach area would be my desire.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated! :)

Not an expert on Panama but I recommend Granada, Nicaragua a Colonial city on a lake with a diverse expat community.  If you are looking for younger, cultured and more vibriant try Antiqua, Guatemala, also a colonial town 90 minutes from Guatemala City with a young North American/European population due to languages schools, ecotourism, art and history buffs

Thank you, El Cid!  I shall take a look at those

carolinesqueaky wrote:

I am a single woman (not yet 40) looking to check out South and Central America, with the possibility of staying long-term.

I'm currently researching Panama, Ecuador and Nicaragua... but am having a difficult time in trying to determine which!

I'm hoping that some might be able to shed some light and advise as to why Panama might be a better fit, as opposed to the other areas I am looking at.

I definitely want to go somewhere that has a active and welcoming expat community, preferably with some younger folk too!

And Coastal/beach area would be my desire.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated! :)

I am a single women and I have a condo in Panama where I spend 6 months each year. If you would like to talk or get in touch with me, let me know.

Hi.  I'm a single woman (older) and have been going through this process as well.  My first thought was Panama for a number of reasons.. expat community, low cost of living, easy access to States, if necessary, warm, healthy lifestyle. 
As I read, researched and asked questions my interest has shifted to Colombia, Medellin area.  And possibly even Ecuador.
There are so many options.
I have two months available in September and October of this year to explore.  I thought I had it all planned out but it seems to be shifting on me.  :)  My plan is to be completely relocated sometime mid year in 2014.  This means selling my house and my car and all my "stuff".  A huge endeavor. 
So... all discussion is looked forward to.

Patti

I was just telling another member of this group that one of the youngest expat groups I have seen has been here in Cuernavaca, Mexico.  In fact the leader of the group in Mexico City says her group is just as young.  I mean families with young kids and even teenagers.  It's a refreshing change!  :)

What other criteria do you have however in where you want to live?  You are very young so I'm guessing you will be looking for a job which is a full different set of issues.  You will need a work visa in Panama to do that.  Your profile says you are a Irish national so I'm not sure what that criteria will be for you. 

Interesting aside, we are moving to Perth, Scotland on June 28th and will be there for 6 months.  Then on to the Costa Blanca region of Spain.  My first trip abroad was actually to Ireland over 30 years ago and it's still a place that brings a smile to my lips because of how warm the Irish people were.  I am hoping for good things in Scotland to be sure. 

Best,

Florence

To Patti,
Hi, I am also an older single woman.  I have already sold my stuff and just have a pickup, dog, cat, horse and horse trailer.  I advise just having a couple garage sales and you won't have many regrets.  I have a feeling of freedom and am not encumbered.  I have paid all debts, owe nothing, rent month to month and have a traveling profession (nurse practitioner).. I am just waiting to find a place to rent in or near Boquete Panama.  I keep changing my mind where to live also.  I was ready to move to Costa Rica but they wanted thousands of fees on the pets.  I try to research a place well and talk to lots of people on these sites.  They provide a lot of valuable info, thats for sure. Julie

Julie's
I am so envious!  I am just starting to get rid of my stuff.   It took me a bit to get my mind around giving up my home..... But now that I'm there just want to get it done. I remember that sense of freedom when I loaded my car and headed for Los Angeles years ago. I swore then to never own more than my car could hold or more than I could pack up in two hours.  Life has a way of over taking one.
Anyway. ... Headed that way

I have pretty much settled on Medellin, Colombia and will be traveling there in September to look it over. I think Panama may be more than I can afford and I am really liking the idea of Colombia

Good travels

Patti

Hi, I have a low income myself to be exact $750 a month that I can depend on.  I read your post obviously and was happy to hear about an alternative with regards to cost of living.  Would like to hear from you and to keep in contact.

Thanks,

Char

[email protected]