Get Out! Save Your Sanity!

As a long-term expat I know the value of changing one's environment when living in a difficult and/or restrictive culture.

Many of my friends who have lived and worked here in the ME agree that getting out of KSA two or three times a year is essential for keeping one's perspective and sanity.

This is obviously more important for those that are on single status here, as having your family around you gives you an emotional cocoon that makes everything easier to take at the end of the day.

If you haven't been out in a while and you are starting to feel a little "buggy"...plan a trip.  Try for a completely different environment.  From here Southeast Asia is an easy and fairly cheap destination.  Being surrounded by green trees and plants can be a wonderful tonic for the soul.

So..stop beating your head against the wall, learn how to book flights online if you don't know and save your sanity.

Get Out!

what if some one hasn't saved enough money to do so:(:(:(:(???

Maybe a quick trip to Bahrain or the UAE, then.  It doesn't have to be a big trip...and even a weekend can put a polish on the apple.

A new environment, maybe a movie and some different food...can work wonders on one's psyche.

I'm close enough to make Bahrain a day trip, which I did yesterday.  A brief stop at the US Navy base for breakfast and a little Western food shopping...a movie at the mall with a bucket of popcorn and I was still home in the KSA by 3:00 p.m.

yeah i been planing to go Bahrain.my hubby really wants to go there and i always "why u wanna go there? u dont go to bars nor u never like water parks,well its the food or movie,we have got better food and we have seen movies in cinema in our home town,so there is no point in wasting money over there" :(:(:(

anyway i m already having good time in Ryd:P

Glad you're having a good time, there, then.

I, too, have many movies at home, nearly 300...but I enjoy the change of environment once or twice a month.

I don't know about that "better food" in Riyadh statement, though.  Guess it's a matter of what one's palate prefers.

The only "great" meals I had in Riyadh were Turkish...and some pretty good grilled chicken...can't say the restaurant scene in Riyadh impressed me much.

yeah i know but i know we always got things to do...just like now ,we have planned for the breakfast with our friends and last night we watched movies with our other friends in their huge LCD.:)

about food;yeah it depends on your taste-buds,i m from pak and i get loads of options for Desi food and even continental ain't so bad.Turkish is quite good here specially Al-saraya

Gotta remember, nonz is married.  I am stunned at the doors that opens in KSA.

As a single woman here, I can't be friends with men (well, I can be but we can't do anything together lol). 

Married women tend to be friends with other married women, I think, because they are free during the day and at night, they are busy with their husbands/families.

I am left being friends with other single women and that really limits us (for example, we can't drive, have to depend on drivers and that really does limit how well you can get to know a city because YOU tell them where to go and if you only know a few places .. well, that's where you go lol.  Also, there are places closed to us--certain coffee shops, etc.).

One of my myriad reasons for coming to KSA was that I knew when I returned home, I'd have a new appreciation for the USA (and this is happening here, before I've even returned home lol so mission accomplished!).

Havent been out of KSA for a few years myself but am keeping my sanity intact, thank God. Plan to visit London in March for my daughters convocation for 10 days and hopefuly that will pump some adrenalin into my veins.

Visit Sri Lanka if you guys do really want a "taste of paradise"..... I promise its the closest you can find on earth.

exploresrilanka.com/

A trip out is a must i think.....

Dubai is my place to go as i have a lot of time on my hands at the moment...( still not working )

Im guessing once i start working ill have less time and will have to make the trip to dubai's little brother in bahrain.....

i f3l quite lucky in a way that my spouse ain't some anti social lethargic soul or living in Riyadh could be da hardest nut to crack for me.

i often go to Karachi and when i come back i get the queen treatment :):):)

Its been 3 weeks in Riyadh and i don't have to cook or do anything.i get my food on bed ..all i do is to watch TV,talk friends and use internet

but now its getting annoying & boring ..... :(:(:(

MisterStretch wrote:

Maybe a quick trip to Bahrain or the UAE, then.  It doesn't have to be a big trip...and even a weekend can put a polish on the apple.

I'm close enough to make Bahrain a day trip, which I did yesterday.  A brief stop at the US Navy base for breakfast and a little Western food shopping...a movie at the mall with a bucket of popcorn and I was still home in the KSA by 3:00 p.m.

I trust,,,, u only gone for movie (?????)

Ya logically correct too -- if u start at 9.00 AM Navel Base, u might be in Bahrain at 11.00 AM ( if toll is free)

11.30AM movies starts - ends 1.30 PM  ---------- 3.PM back to Navel Base

I think you are frequent traveller ( of course to Bahrain) and professional in Driving

nonz wrote:

yeah i been planing to go Bahrain.my hubby really wants to go there and i always "why u wanna go there? u dont go to bars nor u never like water parks,well its the food or movie,we have got better food and we have seen movies in cinema in our home town,so there is no point in wasting money over there" :(:(:(

anyway i m already having good time in Ryd:P

As MS said, The idea is just to have different atmosphere

For Muslims, Makah with Umrah never be the least option for change in mind ( here as well as here after benefits)

For everyone, Hill station like TAIF and BAHA will be more interesting if your budget doesn't allow to go out of KSA.

you can't imagine to have 300+ restaurant in one street or road ( yes u will find it in Crazy Bahrain - Awal cinema road)

Can u belive Al Baha is in Saudi

See Al-Baha pics here -- Great to place to see

thx for the idea sweet choice....u ever been there?

Many times tried especially in Eid Holidays- many families gathered and  BUS was arranged for the trip. some of our family members gone and still they talk about that

For me still pending

Couldn't agree with you more MisterStretch!!! I am lucky enough to get 18days vacation for every 91 that I spend in this beautiful country!!! In the next year i'll be going to the Bahamas in may, and Australia in October. I am desperatly trying to get in on a 5 night trip South Africa in June that some collegues of mine have planned. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. (i've heard there is some big sporting event there...hmmm what could it be???)

Again I couldn't agree more! If you can, get out there and see the world!!!