Questions

I'm thinking about visiting this summer to check it out and if I like it I plan to live there for awhile.  I want to immerse myself in spanish so I can become fluent.  Prefer not to live in tourist area.  Would rather live where a lot of locals live and be in an art community. Which town do you suggest?  How much is average cost for rent, food, and transportation?   Zwanda

Hi Zwanda!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

You might want to check out Santiago or Santo Domingo. The bigger cities might satisfy your art need.
Living costs will depend on your life style so hard to judge

Bob K

Thank you - I will google cities you suggested.  Do you have an idea or estimate how much rentals are? 2 bedrooms or a small cottage?  I would like to have an extra room to do art.

Bob made good suggestions.  Depending where you go in these 2 cities the rents can range from  US 200 to US 2,500!!!!! 

Immersing yourself in the culture and learning the language is great, but you need to learn a great deal about this country and its culture in order to survive here.

Read as much as you can before you make the move, then come for several months to get a feel for things!

thanks for the input. Z