Single woman considering move to costa rica

Hi
I'm Brad
Attending TEFL in Barva
Homestay thru jan in San Pedro.
Really like the area.
Starting Pensionado at ARCR
Looking to find quiet safe place to live and teach volunteer. Retired lifelong sailor hoping to be home from the sea, looking for place to spend out the years somewhere around here at this pleasant altitude and location. Saw your posts and thought I might contact you for more information and possibly a place to live.
Be glad to answer any questions you may have if possibly there is an opportunity for me. Quiet single widower honest intelligent self sufficient non drinker/smoker handy etc..
Thanks for the consideration or any referral/advise you may have
Brad
Capt- brad- 617 - 'at' that msn site..minus the hypens

Captbrad617 wrote:

Hi
I'm Brad
Attending TEFL in Barva
Homestay thru jan in San Pedro.
Really like the area.
Starting Pensionado at ARCR
Looking to find quiet safe place to live and teach volunteer. Retired lifelong sailor hoping to be home from the sea, looking for place to spend out the years somewhere around here at this pleasant altitude and location. Saw your posts and thought I might contact you for more information and possibly a place to live.
Be glad to answer any questions you may have if possibly there is an opportunity for me. Quiet single widower honest intelligent self sufficient non drinker/smoker handy etc..
Thanks for the consideration or any referral/advise you may have
Brad
Capt- brad- 617 - 'at' that msn site..minus the hypens

Note: the last response to this thread was over a year ago so you may not get responses here. You might do better starting a new thread.

Hi Brad,

I'm located in Montezuma, about 2 k from the beach.

I have a small 2 bedroom house for rent. Let me know if it's of any interest to you.

Montezuma is a very nice laidback village. 

Have a good night. Gini

Hi Brad,

I'm located in Montezuma, about 2 k from the beach.

I have a small 2 bedroom house for rent. Let me know if it's of any interest to you.

Montezuma is a very nice laidback village. 

Have a good night. Gini

I moved here as a single woman when I was 63 and I think one of the main items of security for me has been that I live in a gated community. I do live in Alajuelita which is 6 miles south of San Jose.  I adore the Central Valley. If you watch the news here, it seems that there is a lot of crime here (we get a bad wrap, even though it is one of the poorest areas of Costa Rica, second only to Limón)  But I have never feared for my safety.

I also advise friends to come down for a trail stay, for at least 6 months, before making a total commitment.  This can save a lot of expense if you do that.  Visiting here and living here permanently can be very different experiences.

I hope this helps you make your decision!  I have never, for even a moment, regretted moving here and I hope that will be your experience.

Hi
Thank you for the reply and offer.
I am in school thru to January so it will be awhile. Would like to stay up in mountains were its cooler, heat and humidity turn me sloth, but the moderating beach has all ways attracted me. I'll be traveling all around at some point, I'll stay in touch, you see my em,open a line if you want, get some more info, and maybe stop by
Most appreciate the kind offer to an unknown, a little busy now, but intrigued for sure. My time line may not work out for you, however would be pleased to have you in my network...haha...the Sea calls me back yet still...Il Mare owns my soul..

Hi SallyRose
Thank you for your encouraging reply,  your kind wishes appreciated.
Thought and planned long and hard and hopefull before coming here..again..from 35 years ago bringing a boat thru here north...inspired me then out of MANY places ive been and since... so finally full circle back...just hafta see.. God willing...pack the sea bag and wander on, if not.

CaptBrad, As a Pensionado, you are not legally permitted to work, even to teach TESL. Wages earned and hours worked, are usually, low although this part doesn't seem to apply to you.
Please read this article

Hi kolerias
Thank you for this important information.
Will be sharing, looking into this, and my school, thoroughly, and let you know what I find.
Was aware of most of it, most legit schools and volunteer orgs are aware and will obtain the permits, and tax docs, required as these are "jobs" that a CRequenio cannot do and the country obviously welcomes and needs these services. Especially in volunteer situations. There seem to be alot of offerings, so I must think there is a way to do this, 'above board'.
Thanx

One cannot have a work visa, when they have a Temporary Residency cedula, such as Pensionado Of course many 'work without one', but tutoring or helping a neighboring group is different from a filling a position where a local certified 'worker' is paid to teach English, so this is/may considered taking away a job.

Only a potential employer can apply on your behalf to get a work visa.

Brad
Don't believe all you read here..there are lots of nay sayers but I know many who et either Volunteer work or get help from schools in Heredia.
.Keep up your hopes..Also I often have House sitters on my property who help out in return for lovely little apartment inGorgeous MILD climate of Cenral Valley..
Good luck PM me if you like..

Hi Gini
Interested in your place.
Looked more into montezuma and I am going to have to come take a look at some point.
As I said, busy through to about 21st December when take another road trip of discovery. Was doing the coast from Hermosa all the way to Nosara.and Samana. Would have added Montezuma, Tortuga etc, and visited you but for time crunch. Took ferry and looks like easy-er way than go around, especially regarding roads down in that area need more time.
So!
End of dec road trip is planned directly to montezuma.
If place is still available, then will come see.
Excellent references. Possible boat job offer.
If you consider possible, please send some photos and details. I'll be coming anyways to see in person and stay awhile.
Thank you again for the offer.

Hi,

Sure! Sounds good.

Just make sure you get in touch with me before coming down.  Just in case I rent it!

I would like to send you a video of the property but this site doesn't permit it.  Let me know if you want me to send it to an email or phone. 

Don't hesitate if you have any questions, it will be my pleasure.  Gini

Supah!

WhatsApp
Be sure I will give you plenty of notice.
Totally understand as availiable
Thanks

Moderated by Alexia 5 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your personal contact details for your own security. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Ok! Keep in touch.

Hello all
I'm probably coming to costarica soon
From North Africa Could use some help and advice
Please contact me directly it's urgent

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Suggest you read the requirements for living legally and (not)working here.

Hi
I just read your post. Did u. Move to Costa Rica? It's been 7 years?☺️

no I did not with this covid can't.  house is almost complete though.

Hi there

I'm 60 and about to sell up and move to Costa Rica as well.  Being English, I'm not sure if the US and Canadians will be Ok about joining groups there etc.

I have a couple of questions -

I would like to know how people set up groups and people get to hear about them?

Is there a FaceBook group for solo ladies moving/ or have moved to CR?  If not shall we set up one?

Carmen x

Hi there

I'm 60 and about to sell up and move to Costa Rica as well.  Being English, I'm not sure if the US and Canadians will be Ok about joining groups there etc.

I have a couple of questions -

I would like to know how people set up groups and people get to hear about them?

Is there a FaceBook group for solo ladies moving/ or have moved to CR?  If not shall we set up one?

Carmen x

Carmen....Have you even been here to Costa Rica before ?

first ?  have you spent any length of time here?   extended time here or jumping in?  if the latter do so first. And where do you plan to live here? i am in the southern zone ojochal

The general wisdom on the street is, do not move to Costa Rica without having rented there first. One should rent at least partly during the dry season and partly during the wet season, and set up housekeeping so that you have to do errands like banking and grocery runs etc so that you get a real feel for what it's like to live there.

Costa Rica isn't for everyone. Many return to their home country within 3 to 5 years. I returned after 6 only because it took 3 years to sell my house.

Coming to Costa Rica on a whim worked out ok for me.i came i liked 9 years later still here.take a chance and live your way

For forieners no but CR is forcing vaccine on our youngest school age children and parents have no rights or say about it. Many had to get the jab to go to work. Costa Rica is turning into a police state. Been here 9 years and have definitely seen more check points and harassment by the police. always carry 20 thousand colonies for donation.