Facebook Group - Nairobi Expat Social (NES)

Hi guys

Thankyou to all those who turned out on Saturday afternoon to enjoy a few glasses of wine in the sunshine - it was AWESOME to meet you!

I have set up a facebook group - Nairobi Expat Social (NES)- where I will post details of upcoming coffees, suppers, hikes, safaris, horse-riding and anything else that you tell me you'd like to do.  Please sign up for the site, and invite other expat friends to join too.

I promise not to bombard you with personal messages - I'll post details on the group events page of what's happening, and keep fingers crossed that you dont all leave me to drink alone!

email me at [email protected]

Vanessa

Why posting on FB and not on a dedicated expat community / website such as Expat.com? :whistle:

@Julien
-> Broader audience in FB
-> Easier to use (especially for events/invitations)
-> Facebook work for a business/organisation

@Vanessa
Great initiative... Is there a hidden "business" plan behind this initiative ??  Anyway, I have send my FB request; would love to meet you one of these days if I can find time.

Cheers

@Peperuka you got a point there but i guess in expat community blog things can be made better too and meet all that. I vote for Julien's point.

@vanessa: Great initiative.. have put in a request just now..
@bubbly had this another great idea in a separate thread where she recommended that everyone could bring a friend along - should definitely add to the whole idea.

@Kalaah - hhmmmm....  Are you using Facebook ??  So unless you are using a blog that has an integrated membership system with an event theme (will be there, not there, may be) and automatic emailing, a shared wall to post pic/link/notes...  then sorry, Facebook is better.

peperuka wrote:

integrated membership system with an event theme (will be there, not there, may be) and automatic emailing, a shared wall to post pic/link/notes...

definitely something we should integrate this year on Expat.com :)

@Julien - yeah, you could your own for Expat.coms (what are you using by the way Wordpress MU ?) or you could do like Vanessa, that is create a group on FB (e.g. Expat-blog-[country]) and add a badge on the blogs per country.

;)

Haha - wow - didnt realise this would spark such enthusiasm, and debate... thanks to everyone who has joined the fb group, and for the comments posted here.

Why fb?
facebook.com/group.php?gid=279962198742

Nairobi Expat Social is exclusive to current expats living and working in Nairobi.  The expat-blog forum does not allow me to 'filter' those wishing to attend the events, i.e if I post details on this forum I have no control over who comes along as the venue/date/time are in the public domain. 

When requesting to join the fb group I ask everyone the same questions - nationality, current location, which organization they work for.  This is entirely confidential and used only to assess whether I think this person will fit well with the group dynamic. 

We're a group of expats who are keen to meet some new faces outside of the normal work/social circles, and to make the most of our time in this wonderful country.  If this sounds like you, please join us!

What? Where? When?
The full details of the events organised by Nairobi Expat Social will be available only to members accepted into the fb group.  I will post brief dates and details of events/meets on this forum, but for venue and time, you'll have to join the fb group.

Friends?
If those people chose to bring along a friend, that is fabulous!

Business plan?

Nope.  Just a social plan :-)

Who else might like to join us?
Please let friends and colleagues know about Nairobi Expat Social, and ask them to join by signing up to the fb group: facebook.com/group.php?gid=279962198742

Hope to meet you soon!

Vanessa

[email protected]

Nairobi Expat Social (NES) - UPDATE

The facebook group 'Nairobi Expat Social' that was started on 1st February 2010 now has over 100 members.  Small groups of us have met for coffee and drinks on several occasions in the last 2 weeks, and now have more events planned - drinks and supper in Westlands, coffee & conversation, book group, naivasha weekend, and more to come.

If you'd like to meet other expats living and working in Nairobi email [email protected], or join the facebook group to find out more: facebook.com/group.php?gid=279962198742

Vanessa

Hi guys,

i'm not an expat working in Nairobi, but will be visiting the city on biz in June / July 2010.
I was there last year in Oct 09. Like it alot.
Any chance i would meet up with members of NES when i'm there to understand more about the city and opportuntities?
Let me know @ [email protected]
cheers!
SHAUN

Hey..

coool initiative. Owuld surely like to join.

Formalities ????

Rajeev

Look for the group on facebook.

Nairobi expat social and apply to join.