What Housing Can I Rent for $300 US?

Hi.

I've looked at the housing section here on this site and I'd like to hear from some expats living in the city.

If I want to pay about $300 per month, am I looking at renting a room in a hotel in the backpacker district, or can I get a flat?

Would I be best off posting an advertisement for a share?

I'm wondering what's possible in that price range in the city.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

-Mike

It is like any other large city, by looking around you can find a nice house to rent for $300 if you don't use an agency.
I don't live in hcmc but down on the coast in Vung Tau but I am paying $350 a month for a 3 story 4 bedroom house. A friend is renting the same type of house very close to me and is paying $1000 a month through an agency.

[please post in the housing section]

Thanks for the reply Don!  I will try to avoid agencies.

How did you find your place?  Word of mouth?  Help from locals?  Adverts?

Hi Mike,
With 300$/Month, you can find a nice 1 bedroom apartment in D1.
Don't rent the room in the backpacker area. It's so noisy there.

Actually how to rent without agent?

Hi kana,
Do u have any 1bedrooms apartment in dist 1 for 300$ to introduce?
Thanks

http://batdongsan.com.vn/cho-thue-can-h … -pr2583580
You can check it out. This is an appartment for rent near Ben Thanh Market price 6mil VND/month (~$300/month).
This appartment include all the funitures. I'm also looking for an appartment for my friend so I use that website. It's not an agency, so don't worry.

Ok thanks Kana , this apartment very and dirty. Thanks anyway;)

Mr Kevin Nguyen wrote:

Ok thanks Kana , this apartment very and dirty. Thanks anyway;)

Oh really! Sorry I didn't know that. I read the describtion and I thought that it's ok :(

Definitely word of mouth. Go to any cafe or restaurant that caters to an expat crowd and ask the waitresses about renting a house or whatever you want. If they don't know of anything usually they will know someone that does.
This is a big bonus item in Vietnam. If they introduce a house to someone they will get a referral fee. If you read through the post on this forum you will notice that every time someone is looking for a house to rent you will see people reply that they have a friend who has something. They are looking to get a referral fee.

VungTauDon wrote:

Definitely word of mouth. Go to any cafe or restaurant that caters to an expat crowd and ask the waitresses about renting a house or whatever you want. If they don't know of anything usually they will know someone that does.
This is a big bonus item in Vietnam. If they introduce a house to someone they will get a referral fee. If you read through the post on this forum you will notice that every time someone is looking for a house to rent you will see people reply that they have a friend who has something. They are looking to get a referral fee.

Yes, some people will get a referral fee when they introduce a house to someone. But not all of them, your post might hurt some people that really want to help.

I don't see how anyone would be hurt by that. I'm not saying it is a bad thing either. I'm just trying to explain why it is so easy to find a house to rent by asking around and not wasting money going through an agency.

VungTauDon wrote:

I don't see how anyone would be hurt by that. I'm not saying it is a bad thing either. I'm just trying to explain why it is so easy to find a house to rent by asking around and not wasting money going through an agency.

I know it's not a bad thing. But it might make others think that we are helping just because we want to get referral fee.

Hehe okay thanks for the info, very helpful.  I'll be in a hotel until I get a feel for things and ask around a bit once I'm in town.

Can 150usd get anything reasonable?

you can rent a nice room or a cheap apartment

Serious ?! You got a place to recommend...

Sorry, I don't live in HCMC but down on the coast in Vung Tau so i don't know anyone.
But if you read my post #11 above you should be able to find something.

i can help you. do you need facilities or not and how long for renting?

Eli

Hi.!
If you need a hotel room ($10/days, renting not less then 1 month) text me.
The hotel located in Nguyen Van Troi st-Phu Nhuan district, 5 minutes from TSN airport and 15 minutes from Ben Thanh market (By taxi).!
This is my friend hotel so i will talk to him for you.!

for $300 you will have to compromise on space, especially the more neat you want your studio/room to be, when getting closer to d.1. for this budget you can find a very neat small room in the center or a flatshare in a medium class apartment. word of mouth can also work, but you can also check on craigslist and other classifieds online. agent can be useful if you know how to insist on your requirement and know how to convince them to find something for you, in anyway you don't pay them with a commission, so if they do show you something according to your budget there should be no problem. if you have someone that can help you with the language and go around the city, then checking in the muaban newspaper (they also have website) can be useful and lead you to small agents for locals, which sometimes can offer a much wider range of properties, which most of them will probably not suit you, but if you search long enough, you might find a real bargain in both terms of space and condition, somewhere around the borders of d.1 towards d.3 and d.10.
for $150, it is still possible to find something nice, but will require a lot of effort in searching. remember that there are many people which do actually rent reasonable rooms for these rates, like local students and so on..

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

[Moderated: Please post in Housing section]