Trolls and Transylvania

I think Julien could have let the discussion run a bit even though the troll was observing - we could have ignored them. Might have been interesting to see it in the current political context and economic gloom, e.g. rise of Jobbik, rise of nationalism, anti-Roma/Jewish scapegoats, granting of votes to the Hungarians outside the borders etc.

Actually I've heard that some Romanians are obliged to learn Hungarian because they are just left out of conversations otherwise. Parents get the choice of sending their kids to Romanian or Hungarian language schools.

szocske, what do you think ?

Should we reopen that thread and see how it goes ?

fidobsa wrote:

Actually I've heard that some Romanians are obliged to learn Hungarian because they are just left out of conversations otherwise. Parents get the choice of sending their kids to Romanian or Hungarian language schools.

The Hungarian minority in Romania (or better Transylvania or more specifically it should be called Erdély),  do get to use their language now but there's no obligation to speak Hungarian as far as I know. Having been here and there (in Hungary and Romania) on and off for almost 20 years, I've seen the situation change considerably for the better but throughout that time, there's always been a simmering discontent about the Treaty of Trianon and the treatment of the Hungarians outside the borders. There's quite a bit of an attitude of "them" (the Romanians) and "us" (the Hungarians) inside the country. It would help if the other countries stopped introducing provocative laws (yes, Slovakia you know who you are).

Mrs Fluffy and I were in Bucharest quite a few times and usually if we came across someone with a Hungarian name, they usually referred to the Romanians as "them".

Mrs Fluffy currently thinks Erdély should be autonomous or independent.

It's worth thinking about the parallels with Kosovo. noting that Romania has not recognised the independence of Kosovo. Of the border countries - Romania, Slovakia and Ukraine (and of course Serbia) have not recognised Kosovo presumably because of the "Hungarian issue". I doubt a Kosovo situation would arise in the region.

One thing is certain (to me anyway) is this will keep bubbling on the background for many years to come.  I see plenty of cars with the "greater" Hungary country style sticker on the back.

Julien wrote:

szocske, what do you think ?

Julien, Might as well leave it on the other thread I opened but of course up to Grasshopper (Szocske) and yourselves.

Let's keep this one instead, it starts out way more civilized :-)

fidobsa wrote:

Actually I've heard

1. One can believe all that can be proved.

2. One should believe only half of what they see.

3. One should believe nothing they just hear.

Julien wrote:

I vote no. Keep the site civil.

However, if I may ask, can the title be changed? IMHO, the title of this discussion is a bit unfortunate.

My first impression**, from random neurons firing in my mind, first took it as a disparaging remark about Transylvanians. "Forum Trolls..." would maybe be better just for clarity. Again, just my humble opinion.

** I am not a forum novice. Yes I know what forum "trolls" are. Even so if I thought it, even for a millisecond, others might (i.e. I might be a singularity, but I doubt it)...

klsallee wrote:

...first took it as a disparaging remark about Transylvanians. "Forum Trolls..." would maybe be better just for clarity. Again, just my humble opinion....

Yes, it was unfortunate. It really was intended as a reply to the original troll posting but it was a closed thread and one cannot reply to a closed thread.

BTW, I always thought Trolls were a Scandanavian idea. I didn't realise they lived in Jamaica, Transylvania or other places but I suppose they have their own myths (like the North American Bigfoot or the Himalayan Yeti).

klsallee wrote:
fidobsa wrote:

Actually I've heard

1. One can believe all that can be proved.

2. One should believe only half of what they see.

3. One should believe nothing they just hear.

Quite the scientific approach. and the winners write the history books ;)