Coffee in Beijing is crazy expensive!

I just spent 95rmb on a half pound or less of coffee, does anyone know where I can buy some bulk coffee where I don't have to get a 2nd job to pay for it?  I visit Changping and Chaoyang regularly, I would greatly appreciate any help, thanks:)

Thread moved on Beijing forum. Good luck! :)

Instead of buying imported coffee try Yunan Coffee. Seems to be in stock at most of the supermarkets that cater to foreign taste buds such as Jenny Lou.

Yunan coffee, thanks for the help, I will give that a try :)

Last week I paid 100 RMB for 250 gram illy coffee (espresso), it is a bit expensive but all imported stuff are expensive here, unlike North America, there is customs and duty for imported food here, plus the bureaucracy for customs clearing....

I've never tried Yunan coffee, but a friend of mine told me that it's not so bad.

Are you looking fro ground coffee or beans?

I was told that Itaffe are now also importing coffee beans. Not sure though of the price.  If you drink a lot of coffee then there machines and pods are a good option.

I know, although pods are not so bad but I think capsules are the best, you can get that thick creamy espresso flavor, capsules are a bit more expensives than pods, but if you like coffee, I guess you don't mind a few RMB extra per cup.

Pods are selling around 6 to 7 RMB/ea on the market

hi, I found a reasonable priced China brand,and SPR(at Wudaokou)- one of those items that they only have one or two on the shelf-, grinded beans, taste well at the supermarket in the Lufthansa centre.  But I agree, you might as well do Starbucks for the same price.  Need a good old coffee place like Mugg-and -Bean South Africa!

yes SPR coffee is good

indeed, coffe in bj is more expensive than foods....

a tin of nest coffee only costs 3.5 rmb. but i cant make sure you ll feel like drinking decoction...

The only good coffee at Starbucks is the hot chocolate but wait..that's not coffee.

Costa is far better

Try the coffee at IKEA. 500 grams package for 19.90Y

I was wrong. It was the strange package of 250 grams. Sorry.

If you live far from Ikea, Carrefour has some very decent coffee from France for around 30 RMB for 250. Some locations have beans and all the locations I've been to have ground coffee. I tried it, it's fairly fresh, nice dark roast. Look in the 'Imported Products' section.

In Beijing, you could stop coffee and start enjoying some good Chinese tea

@ Solomon:  Horses for Courses,

Some are addicted to coffee,
Some are addicted to tea.
Some like it black
and some like it white
no matter the what no need to fight.

:D

Me?  I'm addicted to breathing.

Manlin wrote:

@ Solomon:  Horses for Courses,

Some are addicted to coffee,
Some are addicted to tea.
Some like it black
and some like it white
no matter the what no need to fight.

:D

Me?  I'm addicted to breathing.

Well, don't we all have to breathe?

Another note, as a Briton, don't you like tea?

I've learned to appreciate both tea and coffee, but prefer tea, especially green tea, it has this aroma that can't be matched by other beverages.

I do plan to take back with me either some coffee beans or some ground coffee, if there's a demand for it. They sell them here in the supermarkets for roughly 8 AUD for 200g; which could be half the price of those in Beijing.

I am not a fanatic. Sometimes I drink tea, sometimes drink coffee, depends on when, where and sometimes with who.

If you're wanting bulk coffee you should check the DongJiao Market, near the Dawanglu Line 1 subway stop (in between Dawanglu and 4th ring road along the river).
You can get bulk beans that are roasted in China or several Italian brands, but nothing really exciting as far as quality.
If you're looking for good Beijing coffee shops check out reviews here.

I will buy lots of Canadian brand - Tim Horton when I go to Beijing. I can give you some if you want. I got from Ontario