Baby formula- what brands are available?

We are from the USA and I have a son who is still on formula. Is American formula available in vietnam?  He drinks enfamil. What about diapers?  We use pampers.

All formula for under 6-month-old children can only be legally sold at pharmacies/drug stores/chemists.

This isn't some racket, it is the VN governments way of eliminating substandard junk from China.

You will see VNese mothers busy studying the best before dates very earnestly.

Many varieties of formula are available, one from Japan is very popular with Foreigners living here.

Similarly, a Japanese brand of diapers also gets rave reviews from the same group, when their Thai factory flooded last year people were flying to other countries to get supplies. There are many other varieties available.

If you join the Google Group PhuMyHungNeighbours (membership free) you can get hitched up with a number of mothers who are in a similar position to yourself.

Giants Supermarket (Crescent Mall) has rows and rows of shelves of baby related stuff, including baby-type clothing.

There are also anti-mosquito nets for children - they are similar in appearance to bee-keepers hats with netting on them.

A good mosquito repellent cream (from Japan) is very good - not a hint of chemical smell. It's called Sophella.

If you have prescription medicines, bring the Generic / Latin names for ease of replacement.

Family Medical Practice VietNam
< vietnammedicalpractice.com/ >
Diamond Plaza (Parking under)
34 Le Duan Street
District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
Tel: +84 8 3822 7848

Email: [email protected]
Consultation fees: $59-89

is a great medical place for junior.

Cool...thanks for the tip. My son should be on formula for another 3 months. Can I just bring in a bunch of his formula?  Will they make me pay duty on it?

Haras20 wrote:

Cool...thanks for the tip. My son should be on formula for another 3 months. Can I just bring in a bunch of his formula?  Will they make me pay duty on it?

Waste of checked luggage. No one can tell what VN Customs will do.

I bet you one thing though, those trained monkeys who wear TSA badges in US Airports will open every damn can of formula. Heard of it happening before - a whole bunch of unsealed cans won't survive too long in a southern Vietnamese environment! Fungus!

I think I saw enfamil somewhere but I am not too sure. But my son currently drinking Similac milk formula made by Abbott, an American company, also has many different brand names. He also uses Pampers diaper. Don't worry, most the store carry almost everything here the same as in the States. Please feel free to PM me if you need anything else.

To give you an idea of the formula market in VietNam, you might like to read the following links.

< http://talkvietnam.com/2012/08/milking-a-cash-cow/ >< http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32899377/ns/h … ns_health/ >< http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-202_162-5323015.html >.

I am from the US but married and living in Vung Tau with my Vn wife and son(next month we will have a daughter also). My son is 2 now but when he was a new born I brought many many cans of formula back with me in my checked luggage without having any problems. Even now when I travel to the UK on business I bring back boxes of Cow & Gate brand milk with no issues.

My 2 year old son is potty trained and doesn't wear diapers during the day but he does sleep in Japanese pull up types called Mamy Poko Pants I believe and they work great, even better than the Huggies brand we used before.

Luke's Pharmacy in Cresent Mall (district 7) has the  brand Pediasure and this is quite popular in S.E. Asia.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]