Available Baby Formulas in HCMC

Hi , my 5 month old baby and I will visit HCMC for a month holiday ( October )  and mainly to visit my husband who now based in Vietnam. Can someone please tell me what are the baby formulas available in HCMC , specially in District 2 area? I believe you have to buy them in the pharmacies only to secure  a guaranteed non-fake or non-expired cans. There also seem to be big changes on the pricing regulations imposed by the  gov't so that importers or distributors of big brand formulas now play around displaying new products instead, consequently  hoarding the old or existing known products, is this true? and would anyone know what are these new baby formulas on display?... I plan to get them here in NZ so I can try them first with my then 7 month old baby and if he is ok with at least one of them, then I don't have to bring in cans of formulas for the entire holiday period from NZ to HCM. I just need to know exactly what I need to find and buy.

Thanks!

Because of the 'fake'/poisonous baby formula the national government stipulated only pharmacies can sell formula for children under 6 months. This gives the pharmacist an opportunity to give advice (if you speak English).

Dated products are a problem. Vietnamese shoppers are some of the best Best Before date readers around, spending many minutes checking out the products.

One supermarket, Giants, has a very wide range of baby accoutrements and is really a one-stop shop for your needs. (I don't work there!) Amongst the most popular products are those made in Japan - even with the slightly higher prices, sales are brisk. This includes formula as well as napkins, wipes, etc.

BE AWARE that milk products with predominantly GREEN LABELS have added sugar - including basic milk! Some Australian and New Zealand brands are to be found here but at a 25-50% premium.

Giants is about a 10-minute drive from Quan 2, over the Phu My Bridge, in the Crescent Mall in Quan 7.

Another store, METRO, from Germany, also carry baby products you might be familiar with.

Hi Jaitch,
thanks for your info. Im glad to know New Zealand and Australian brands are also available there. My baby is using S-26 and when I search online for it, in Vietnam nothing comes up. .I guess its a matter of finding them in the right location( pharmacies/malls) is it. Will get hubby to check Giant and other big shopping malls out there.Thanks.

gslam17 wrote:

Hi Jaitch,
thanks for your info. Im glad to know New Zealand and Australian brands are also available there.

I said MILK PRODUCTS from NZ - not formula. Many Foreigner mothers swear by the Japanese products.

But VN kids seem to thrive on the formula here.

BTW, I have addresses of a couple pharmacies who sell genuine Western drugs not commonly available in VN. VN has a formulary (recipe manual) that allows VN pharmacists to is a mix of different drugs that are the equivalent to name brand drugs in the West.

Enfamil products are availible nearly everywhere.

g'day Don, when we did the "convoy for babies I went to a giants? somewhere either on Nguyen Dinh Chieu or Dien Bien Phu they had a prety good range and for most ages as I got the newborn one, they were cheaper than Big C also( on sale)

We live in Vung Tau and usually buy at the Coop Mart. My daughter is 1.5 years now so we don't buy infant formula anymore but we do buy some of the "follow-on" milks for toddlers.

I have seen S26 at Bibo Mart baby stores. They have have shops through out HCMC. Their website is [link moderated]
Actually, here is the link to their S26 page. It's around $25 a can and is made either in Australia or Singapore.
[link moderated]
I used to use S26 until I discovered that my baby is allergic to dairy so we now get a special formula, Enfamil Nutrimigen. Enfamil is a good American brand and is available at most baby stores and baby formula shops.

Hi gslam17!
Just tell me which baby formula you are feeding your baby. I'll tell if they are available in Hanoi & Ho Chi Minh City and where you can find them. My son is 3 months old.
We are importing infant formula from other countries (by companies), localizing & producing some and carrying to Vietnam from other countries (by people).

Hello, following up on your 2014 posting please.

Chasing the S26 Number 3 formula in Quan 2, HCMC

Any advice appreciated

why anybody would give their baby a toxic infant formula amazes me.  Breast milk is by far the best product for a baby, period.  Although some mothers seem to have a problem breast feeding, they should avoid infant formulas and look for something organic/natural. 

BTW - as a former employee of a fortune 50 company that sold one of those famous brands, the company gives the hospitals those samples for 1 reason only and it is not about health, it is about money.  If a new born gets a taste of that infant formula, you can say bye bye to breast milk.  I remember our first born and when they brought that infant formula into the room, I let the nurse know:

"I work for the company that sells that infant formula so do not even think about bringing that into this room as my child will never get a taste of it.  I know what the gig is so leave and take the formula with you." 

As she realized I knew what the purpose was for the formula, she took it and left the room.  I never heard another or even seen formula again.  One infant was not cooperating at first with the breast milk and they tried to get us to give the baby formula, I basically told them to take a hike, be patient.  eventually the baby took the breast milk and then I realized.  How many mothers who have a baby that may not take breast milk right away are swayed into giving the baby formula, not knowing that once that kid gets a taste, he or she is hooked.