Hi everbody

seriously considering retiring to PR in a couple of years.

I'm an Anglo in NYC and live in a heavily Hispanic neighborhood.  Lots of people from PR, DR, and Mexico, immigrants from non-Spanish speaking countries too.  My Spanish is pretty good & I use it every day.  I do have some problems with the PR accent since I learned my Spanish in a slow speaking S. American country where I lived for 2 years.

I don't think I'll go through too much culture shock but I will have to adjust I'm sure.

Funds will be very, very limited, early Soc. Sec. retirement and a little too young to start getting Medicaid right away.

I was thinking of the mountains hoping for cooler summers and the lowest possible cost of living.

I've particularly focused in on Adjuntas.

I've check out rentals on classificados but don't see too much.  I really don't want to buy.  I live alone and would really like to leave upkeep to a landlord.

Are there carros publicos in Adjuntas, because I'd like to try and get along with out a personal vehicle?  Obviously having a very centrally located apartment will be important.

What worries me most is the summer weather.  Although I live in NYC, I grew up in the Rocky Mountains were it's cool and dry and I suffer a bit in the heat and humidity.  But don't think I'll have enough money for air conditioning.

What I'd most like is a critique of this plan and any advice.

Gracias.

Welcome to Expat.com Sam Smith1!

Hope that other members will soon share their experience with you.;)

Harmonie.

Hello Sam! I myself, after having visited Puerto Rico several times, I am looking to relocate there. Have you found any useful sites that offer housing and job opportunities by any chance?

WOW, ADJUNTAS.... you are an adventurere!!  maybe stick to the metro area for a while... to get used to the place.
YOu need a car.... period... public transportation is NOT reliable. if you want to go to Sams or Walmarts or the beach......you will wait HOURS for a publico or a bus... you can get an inexpensive car  from a private owner BUT beware: the roads here are awful and the cars are in poor condition BUT they will get you from point a to point b ....
check Craigs list for everything  and classificados-on-line might help as well.. this is a very Groupal society so it's very much WHO you know......if you want to move to any area might be a good idea to ask around your Hispanic neighborhood at home to see who has a family member who lives there..........good luck!!

Hi, Coquette1010:

Try http://www.clasificadosonline.com/.

Good luck.

Greetings Sam. At least you wouldn't have to contend with any blizzards. Let's see, not much money to live on, no personal transportation and don't tolerate the heat well. Are you sure that PR is where you want to retire? Don't expect it to be a cheaper place overall to live. I'd suggest delving into some of the past posts on this forum and to check out what people have had to say, both good and bad. Take a trip or two to the island. Go to the grocery stores and see what they have to offer and what the prices are. Ask around and find out what people are paying for their electric bills. Stay for a week or two if you can and experience different parts of the island and try to get a real feel for the place. Since you speak Spanish pretty well it will help you get accepted a little better. People don't care so much about the accent, they just appreciate it more that you attempt to speak their language. Oh, and concerning health care, on what you are making I'd expect little or nothing in that area. They have a system for poor residents to get free medical care but most doctors are refusing to accept it because they are having trouble getting reimbursed by the government. You can use your medicare once it kicks in. If you get regular Social Security you can get paid while living on the island. If it's SSI only they won't pay it to you if you live there. Good luck Sam. And if you run across any stray dogs( which you will wherever you go), please stop and show them a moment of kindness and give them a little food and water if you are able. The strays are called "Satos". They are very special.

We're Moving Where? has a good point. Ask around where you live now to find out if anyone has any relatives that live in or near you want to go. In Puerto Rico it's most advantageous to know someone and have connections. It's the only way to get anything seriously accomplished.

contact my friend lisa who is a realtor... she can help!
good luck,
wende

lisa penfield