What can you say if one newly arrived employee is not talking to you?

Just to know you views regarding a newly arrived employee and you are living both in the same house. What will be your reaction if he is not talking to you from the very start?

Hi Ronald,
I guess there's no harm from welcoming him since he's in me face everyday, yet have to keep my distances but for sure will be there in case of any assistance needed

If you have other roommates, it will be easy to just ignore him.  If it's just you and him, you're in for a miserable time of it.

Just take it easy, may b he had any confusion of new place. Just be frankly with him.

May be he think he is superior from you.
Is he? in terms of position.
if you are senior just Kick him
or if you are of same level, try talking to him may be he is not that social or vocal or both at the same time

Other than pleasantries, have you tried some "team-building" exercises?

Just kidding...

If you watch sports, invite him to watch with you, provide snacks and drinks and perhaps that might break down some barrier...

Are you aware of any particular reason he might dislike you? Does he like the house clean or is he always doing the cooking? Or is he always second cooking and never has any clean dishes to use after you've cooked?

Could be a lot of reasons. Believe me, I've lived in places where the housemates didn't clean or have any consideration for people who might actually like to live in something that isn't a pig sty.

If you aren't one of those people, then maybe he's socially awkward and avoids social interactions, in which case, good luck :P

He might be an introvert person and he likes to stay on his own ... In this case you just have to be friendly with him and leave him alone until he opens up.

Since he is in a new place, he might be feeling homesick and need some time to adjust and adopt himself to the new lifestyle.

VidoDido wrote:

He might be an introvert person and he likes to stay on his own ... In this case you just have to be friendly with him and leave him alone until he opens up.

Since he is in a new place, he might be feeling homesick and need some time to adjust and adopt himself to the new lifestyle.

Or he might just be a moody jackass who thinks the world revolves around him (I had a roommate like this when I first arrived in KSA--made my life *miserable* until I threatened HR with leaving if they didn't get me new housing pronto).

Alliecat wrote:

Or he might just be a moody jackass who thinks the world revolves around him (I had a roommate like this when I first arrived in KSA--made my life *miserable* until I threatened HR with leaving if they didn't get me new housing pronto).

That's right; Its really frustrating when you have such people around you.

VidoDido wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

That's right; Its really frustrating when you have such people around you.

I began to think she was mentally unstable.

I bet that the new guy is thinking: "Why isn't the old guy talking to me?!"

Hard to tell without seeing his face.... but:

He is just repairing himself after moving into different country and place..... and not in the mood.

OR

He is selfish bastard, loves himself, sees himself.

All u need to do shake hand and tell him Get well soon bro !!!

He may be a little bom shocked after just arriving..give him some space and try to bond at work as colleagues in the line of duty rather than friends...once you have his trust at work he may warm up and start talking to you on a friendship level.

try wearing some clothes in the house. Maybe your scaring him! :lol::lol::lol:

hamlay wrote:

try wearing some clothes in the house. Maybe your scaring him! :lol::lol::lol:

I bet! when he sees me like that, whew! maybe he will make friends with me...:D:D:D

ronald.domingo17 wrote:

Just to know you views regarding a newly arrived employee and you are living both in the same house. What will be your reaction if he is not talking to you from the very start?

Remembered your post while having a chat with a friend about a similar subject. My friend was telling me that, Art is one way to inspire a conversation with a person who might be reluctant to open up. a simple question like "Are you ok?" might help you to have a conversation with that person. Give it a try and let us know how it goes ;)