Cost of farmland in Brazil

Bom Dia,

I am interested in finding out the approximate price on farmland in Brazil. I've been kicking around a business idea and would like to know the specifics.

Thanks for your input in advance

Matt C

Hi Matt C!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi Matt,

The kind of farming you wish to do would probably determine the state where you would want to buy land, it's a very big country with several different climates. That would have a big influence on how much land would cost, there is no way to give you a general 'ball park' figure. You need to consider how you'd finance the land if you won't be paying cash because getting financing here for a foreigner is impossible. If paying cash you could also get a discount. If you want to give some details maybe I could give you a close approximation of the price range.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Productive farmland cheaper that in Paraguay ?
If only you are able to find a better deal, operating cost feasibility cant be compated between PY and BR.

Thanks for your quick responses, and excuse my late reply, as I've been swamped with work.

Wjwoodward: I've been considering growing avocados, namely California cultivars, with the intention of export. From what I understand, avocados in Brazil are mostly grown in the south and southeast, with Sao Paulo and Parana being the largest producers. Would you have any idea on where I could find information on land in those states or the regions? Although I do have some money to invest, I doubt it could cover everything. Financing, or lack of it, could be a problem.

OldDogGyn: I've considered the South and Southeast regions, especially Sao Paulo. My Portuguese at the moment is pretty bad, but I'm certain I'll pick it up quick.

PauloPereirra: I figured PY would be far cheaper, but I feel that there are more opportunities, both economic and social, in Brazil. I've been considering both countries, but was looking for more definitive answers about Brazil.

Thanks again for all of your input!

Hi Matt,

As you rightly mentioned São Paulo is the largest Brazilian producing state of avocados (4th largest world producer) by virtue of the fact that the modes of transportation and ease thereof favors the state greatly. I'm attaching a link to a site that deals with avocado farming in São Paulo and it lists the principal zones of production in the state. I'm sure it will help you narrow your search for land somewhat.

http://www.todafruta.com.br/portal/icNo … ticia=9462

You may want to check out some real estate websites to get an idea of prices too. One you could use is LUGAR CERTO you can search by state, city, etc. Click on the green bar comprar, check off the do RURAL below that, then you can enter the state, cities, area of the piece of land, etc., to narrow the search.

You were right about lack of financing being a roadblock. Firstly, none of the Brazilian banks provide financing to foreigners unless they are either individuals who are permanent residents or unless they are business entities registered in Brazil. I don't know if you could obtain financing from US banks to invest in property here, something you will need to check out.

The requirements for permanency with an Investor Visa are really quite uncomplicated and you will need a minimum investment of R$150,000 which is around USD $75,000, a business plan, declaration of area of operation and number of Brazilian jobs created, etc., to qualify.

This presents a couple of options that I can see right off hand. If you haven't all the money you want to invest in the venture perhaps you could find another individual or individuals each with 75K to invest but no idea of what to do and form a co-op of investors, I believe with individual investments each of the minimum you would each qualify for permanency. Lot's of people want to go that route to get permanent visas since it is really uncomplicated as compared to others. Who knows you may even be able to find interested individuals here on the blog. Try posting a thread seeking investing partners if you decide to go that route.

The second option is find out if with the appropriate permanent investment visa, the CNPJ (incorporation), state registration, etc. you could obtain financing through a Brazilian bank. Perhaps if you can then you might be able to arrange some bridging funds through a US financial institution.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

MattC760

keep in mind PY is often a "back door" toward the Brazilian giant market. Im sure you are aware of the triology [ china / PY / brazil ] , with a huge flow of merchandise.

For a more professional input or research, try also using linked groups or identify a consultant to act as procurement and make some inquire.

Let see if we can get more feedbacks on this !

cheers, Paulo

It is a pity, that now I can not express - it is very occupied. But I will be released - I will necessarily write that I think.

:)

Hello TRiXRany,

Since you're a new member it would be nice if you would introduce yourself to the other members when you have time.

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team welcome on board.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi Matt,

Consider the center and north of the state of Minas Gerais as well, especially around Diamantina and Montes Claros.  There are a number of agricultural projects in this region, and it is growing.

Cheers, Douglas Trent, in Belo Horizonte.