Close

Teaching Positions & Work Visas

Hello, all!

I am an American who is looking to work in Brazil as an educator. I have already spent nearly 12 months teaching and researching in the Brazilian education space, working as an after-school English teacher in southeastern public schools, the director of an English language NGO, and an advanced conversational English teacher at a private language school.

Though my preference would be to work with public school students, I realize that government jobs are reserved exclusively for Brazilian citizens. With that in mind, I am looking to teach in either in a language or a private bilingual school, hopefully working to develop partnerships between said schools and youth without access to language enrichment activities.

My question, however, is about visas: what opportunities exist at schools that offer work visa sponsorship? Where would such jobs be located? I would assume that formal, non-language schools would be more willing to sponsor a foreigner for a work visa, but how does the hiring process for such schools work? In-person? Online?

I would appreciate any guidance you all could provide!

Hi, I work in this field. Unfortunately as far as I know no such visa exists to teach in Brazil....you have to be a permanent resident or temporary resident of Brazil in order to get this kind of work.
Also private language school generally pay very low in Brazil.
Honestly I would say forget about it as no such visa sponsership programmes exist in Brazil and the market is already saturated with teachers

There are no schools that offer work visa sponsorship of any kind? I have already entered Brazil on a tourist visa and a student visa -- are you saying that a school would only sponsor a teacher who already resides in Brazil and possesses an RNE?

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.....maybe if your student visa allows you to work some hours you might have luck. Then theres always the illegal route which I would not recommend....all the schools I have worked at have asked to see a document.

The best school to contact is Cultura Inglesa, they are one of the few repuatable schools that actually pay money you could survive on.

Otherwise some private high schools like anglo and poliedro maybe. But as far as I know your odds of them organising you a work visa in this catagory are almost zero as it does not exist.

Questions and answers about the labor market

Ask your question
Nawii81
What sort of work do most expats do?
By Nawii81
Dulake5
Looking for translator / guides for hire.
By Dulake5
CareyB
Opportunities to teach English in BH?
By CareyB
adzbudz
Yulana
Thinking about moving.
By Yulana
Ariaraj
Accounting/Business Studies Teacher
By Ariaraj

Expatriate health insurance in Brazil