The absolute minimum in dollars to live in DR :)

Thank you and you need to speak Spanish? I can a little bit am taking lessons

No its not mandatory but recommended honey, it will make life easier.

where can i find a list or rental office where I  can find a place to rent along the north coast   for between 3 to 6 months ; plus where would one find  a place to buy a used vehicle are there car lots  like we have       here in canada ; Presently only go there to sosua area for 6 weeks  but the costs keep going up each year and I like to stay longer presently at Bungalow Natura Village  the cost to rent a 1 bedroom condo type of little cottage  with maid and security is about $1400US per month ; I Heard that long term rentals are cheaper ; I usually go between end of Jan to end of april for  my 6 weeks but like to go there  for 6 months between nov and end of april

I am in Luperon.  I rent a 2 bedroom apartment just outside Luperon.. 1 bath full kitchen, fully furnished for $400 per month.  Wi-Fi and television.  2nd floor above owners home. with excellent security.  I only have to buy my food. Safe neighborhood.  It is 1 block off the main road.

Mototaxi, not Moto cycle,  is 150 to 200 pesos to anywhere in and around Luperon that includes the beaches and marinas.

I met a Canadian last week in Luperon, who has a 1 bed, 1 bath condo for $ 240 A month.  I don't know any other details.  But I know the condo building, and it is nice.  On the main road in Luperon.

Start joining some of the Facebook groups and you will see lots of listing. Everything Puerto Plata, Everything Sosua, these are 2 good ones for you to checkout.  What you are paying is ridiculously expensive.

There won't be any Luperon listings on Sosua or any site. And Luperon undoubtedly has some of the lowest prices.  How many nice, safe 1 bed 1 bath condos are in Sosua or other places close to $ 240 a month?  And there are 12 or 16 condos in the building.  The condo is no more than 5 minutes via Moto taxi from the beach and walking distance to center Luperon.  The Canadian I talked to who is leasing the condo, came here in November and leaving in late March or early April.  So it is comfortable enough for long stays.

Why are some on this site, adverse to mentioning Luperon?  It should not be treated like a step child.  Especially for Canadians?  There are Canadians everywhere in Luperon.

Reply to me via message me and I will give you what I know re the North Shore.

My DD led me to Cabrera.

Kind regards.

Jay

Honey no one is opposed to Luperon.  It's has its pros and cons like every area in this country. 

If you notice, almost everyone promotes where THEY actually live. That is human nature.

However, one size does not fit everyone.  Give people options and they will make their own choices.  Luperon is a specific choice of lifestyle, as is Sosua or Cabarete.  Works for some and others dislike it.  Same as Santo Domingo or Punta Cana! 

Personally I like when people point out the pros and cons of various areas. That let's people make informed choices.

FYI I don't think there is a Facebook group for Luperon and that is why I didn't mention it. Maybe you should start one Bigbob.

Hello! Wondering if you can lead me in the right direction to the apartment listing in Punta Cana? I'm having a hard time finding anything but tourist rentals for rediculous high prices!

One bdm, furnished from $300 & up in Sosua. Wherever you choose, you gotta get out & walk the streets & talk to people. It is a must in order to find the best places & deals.  With a very simple life style, a single person can live for $1,000 a month. If you paid that much for that cottage, you definitely can live well in this area.

My dear Planner.

Thank you for your retort sweet girl.

However, I am not nor will ever be on Facebook.  So kindly explain how I can make others aware of Luperon?

Of course common sense and awareness allows us choices on where to live and what to eat and who to love.  My point is that Luperon is never mentioned in any posts.  It is never brought to the attention of current and new expats coming to this forum.  So it doesn't exist.  It is not part of the equation.

Expats need to be aware of all possibilities.
It is impossible to consider Luperon if no one knows it exists.  Yet it is of interest of how many not on this forum, find there way to Luperon.  Especially Canadians.

There may be some news on Luperon, in the future.   Watch for it.

Hynesj85 wrote:

Hello! Wondering if you can lead me in the right direction to the apartment listing in Punta Cana? I'm having a hard time finding anything but tourist rentals for rediculous high prices!

The whole Punta Cana area was developed in a formerly little populated part of the country and as such the rental stock will generally be from more wealthy buyers who have bought real estate there and they will be looking for shorter term rentals with higher returns, hence your dilemma.

You will find some cheaper apartments for long term rent in the areas where the workers for the hotels reside but that is more inland in places like Veron and you will have to be here checking out the posted signs on properties to find those deals.

Keep checking on mercadolibre online to see what is possible. They don't clarify of the rentals are weekly or monthly so you will need to contact them if anything crops up.

https://inmuebles.mercadolibre.com.do/a … punta-cana

Punta Cana is a resort largely aimed at the package tourist with a number of higher end outlets too and now a growing retirement community. It is not really aimed at the independent traveler and so if your budget is tight you will feel it there.

You will find more mature resort destinations with low long term rental stock along both the north and south coasts and inland with realistic living costs for the independent traveler.

BibBob,   Okay so FB not an option, no problem.

How you make others aware, is by doing what you are doing already.   When people ask,  respond with facts and information as well as your experience. That helps people understand what its like to actually live there.   

All of us need to continue doing what we do,  share our experiences both good and bad in a way that is  as straightforward as possible.  Some need to understand as well that what works for them does not work for others. 

I loved living in Puerto Plata. Others detest it.
I detested living in Sosua. Others love it.

Currently I live in Santo Domingo but most expats are not the least bit interested in living in this gigantic city!  I get that.  For those who ask I will tell them how and why it works for me balanced by the things I really do not like.  (Insert traffic here)   

So there you go. All of us can help others in this way.

And who is BibBob Planner?  Hehe.

Is it possible to open a thread entitled:  "living in Luperon?"  Or under another title? 

I am not a bible thumper for Luperon.  I only wish to raise its awareness level.  No more. 

As an example.  Let's imagine single BIG Bob, (me), moved into a new neighborhood and met the girl next door.  Cute girl and dated her and got married.  But 2 doors down, was the woman of my dreams who I have been looking for my whole life, but did not know she existed.

Such goes Luperon.   Do you get my drift?

Hahahahahaha.  I hear ya honey.  I actually responded to you on another thread with a link for you to go talk about Luperon.

Now ya'll have me interested in learning more about Luperon.  Looked for Everythingluperon on FB but no luck.  Any other online resources available that ya'll know of?  Or, what is the particular appeal?

Thank you and kind regards,

JR

Planner.

We're you that girl 2 doors down, cooking rice?  One day I could smell a cake.  Hehehe. 

Today is my birthday.  Would you bake me a cake?

JR.

Fortunately there is not a lot of information on Luperon.  It has not been commercialized like other locations.  I made reference that it was olde Dominican.  Not much has changed here in 50 years.  And that is why so many Canadians and others come.  And those that come, tell their fellow Canadians.

About 20 years ago, a Dominican built a 711 room hotel minutes outside Luperon.  It was visited by people from all over the world. 

Before the Luperon Beach hotel closed, a lot of Germans and other countries came to the hotel.  I know the son of the original developer who lives less than 1000 feet from the hotel.  The hotel was bought by a Spain hotel company and due to financial problems in Spain, they took the profits from the Luperon Beach hotel, to stop the hemorrhaging of their hotels in Spain that had financial problems, and bled the Luperon Beach hotel.  It was very successful all but the last few years when no money was used to keep it up.  They started to reduce their employees month by month to increase profits.

They eventually lost their customer base because of the delapadation and lack of service and finally closed.

Lastly.  I heard stories and have met, people who sail into Luperon Bay to get supplies, expecting to stay a day or 2, decide to extend their stay.  One couple I personally talked to, planned to stay a year.  Just last week, I met 4 people from Hawaii, who were sailing by on their voyage, stopped for supplies.  Now they are staying for up to a month or longer.  And they are from Hawaii!   There are dozens of these stories.  Why, you ask? 

Luperon has to be experienced.  I suggest a week, or more.   Especially if you are considering it to live.  Like everything else, it should not be rushed.  It is important to learn why people come and stay after they once get a  taste of Luperon.

You are clearly passionate about Luperon!

Have you lived anywhere else here for comparison?

When you were visiting (before moving)  where did you visit?  I am curious.

And yes I would bake you a cake!

Darlin Planner

Chocolate?  Thick with chocolate icing?  Set the date.

Speaking of cakes.  There is a pastry company in America called "Sara Lee".  They had/have a little jingle, "Nobody doesn't like, Sara Lee"!   Nobody doesn't like, Luperon!  HEHEHE.

It is easy to be passionate about Luperon, as everyone else who comes here.  I am only the messenger, but I have met so many others in Luperon who are just as passionate as I.

And there are so many of your fellow Canadians have found their way here.  They are the best messengers.  You would be shocked at how many Canadian snowbirds are here now, during the cold winter months in parts Canada.  You need to come and spend a long weekend here.  Then even you would be passionate too.

Admittedly, I have not ventured out much in the Dominican Republic. I spent a few days in Santo Domingo.  Santiago.  And a full week and multiple day trips to POP.  But understand, I am here for reasons previously reported.  And I have no interest in the other touristy locations.  Except maybe Punta Cana as stated before.

However, when I experience Luperon and meet locals and visitors, I am here for business, but they are here because they want to be here.

Hop a bus and come spend the weekend.  You can bring my chocolate/chocolate birthday cake and celebrate my birthday late.

BIG Bob

Ahhhh Bob.... I will have to plan a visit.

I like Luperon to visit but could never live there.  For me there is too much missing:  work, dance places, shopping etc etc. 

Foreman it's a great place but not for everyone. Then again if everyone was there it would lose its charm!!!

This is the 3rd time I have asked what is the economic base of income for the local Dominicans? What do they do to make a living?  Tourist services, marine industry, agriculture, fishing ETC?  What is the economic engine that keeps the area fed, housed, educated & so on?   Curious that there have been no answers.  A hidden gold & diamond mine that no one wants to share?    What gives Bro?

All of the above. Why are you so interested?  90 % have service related jobs. Depends on where they live.  They are very creative in making money.  The owner of the house , where I stay in one of their apartments, make salads for neighbors. 

And I did respond.

Thanks, found it.

Noted.