Does anyone use VoiP? If so, I'd love to know what isp you use?

New to Bogota and need to get internet service asap to do my work.  The new wifi sticks that go on the 3G band don't work with VoiP. 

Anyone using VoiP, like vonage, I'd love to hear from you!

Short of that, if any one knows of a situation where some space in a office and use their cable internet connection, let me know!

Thanks

Hello,

I use Vonage to provide me with an English phone number for family and friends to call me on. I am currently signed up with etb for my internet service. You cannot use an internet dongle to pass the vonage line through as you need a physical ethernet connection into the router in order for the vonage line to work.

Yes, after a day of education, I realize that.  Would you mind sharing the service you have with ebt?  I'll have to get this asap.  Is it DSL through you phone, or do you have a package that includes cable?  May I ask the cost and how long it took you to get set up? 

Thank you in advance!
cjb

I am not sure what you mean by sharing my service with etb??

I have 6mb/s connection through the phone line - DSL. I pay more or less 85,000COP per month but the package includes the telephone line rental as well as unlimited calls in Bogota and unlimited downloads on the internet.

I also have Direct TV so I am not sure if this price was offered as part of the package that they do as I arranged them separately.

I called and 3 working days later it was installed. They provide the wireless router but they do not provide the telephone.

Thank you.

cjb

You are welcome

I use Vonage service in Medellin.  My ISP is Une, 4mb DSL.  Had to have national ID (cedular) to get an account opened with Une.  Passport was not acceptable.  My real estate agent was nice enough to help before I got my cedular (used his wife cedular)to get internet service.  Vonage has direct service @ $25.95 per month and will ship the box to Colombia.  I had the service in Panama and the USA so I brought my box with me.  I actually have two(2) Vonage boxes in case the box I'm using breaks.

I also used MagicJack service but I think the service from Vonage is better (voice conversations are clear) than Magicjack.

Hope this helps.

Al Johnson

Thank you for sharing your information!  Yes, I actually get that I need to get the Cedula taken care of.  However, in the mean time, my room-mate, whom I'm renting from, is Colombian.  Just waiting for her to take care of this.  I"ve offered to pay 100%.  I used Vonage in Buenos Aires and it was great.  So, I'm thinking it will be better here.

O.K.  ETB came today to install everything and get me hooked up.  I purchased the same package as you, Danny, 6mg download and 800k upload.  The internet is slow...  And, all my vonage calls have dropped mid-conversation.  Might I ask what modem/routers you guys are using?

Also, if anyone can recommend a tech person to help me sort all this out, that would be great.  I don't know if the problem is with ETB or Vonage (or both).  My Spanish is o.k. (not great), but it is definitely more advanced than my technical acumen. 

Thanks,
cjb

Just in case anyone else is having problems with vonage in Bogota.  Apparently, my problem is that ETB nees to open these specific ports.

I told Vonage that there is another person successfully using vongage, but they said that it's possible that the ports are only opened on request for specific users...

So exhausting.  Any insight, suggestions or referrals for a technical person to assist are welcome.

Only posting in the event that someone else ends up having problems using Vonage in Bogota.

I was told by Vonage that the ports below needed to be opened and were showing that they were closed.

- SIP: Port 5061 UDP
- RTP (Voice) Traffic: Ports 10000-20000 UDP

Since I had a hard time getting through to anyone at ETB on a Saturday, I went to their Facebook page (where there are a lot of complaints) and posted my problem there.

Miraculously, the blue light on my vonage box lit up and stayed lit (no blinking).  I was incredulous that the phone was actually working, but it has been and still is.

I went to Facebook and my post had been removed.  The strangest part is that the ports still show to be closed.  I don't get it, but am reluctant to mess with it at this point...

Hi CJB..

Glad to hear that you have gotten it sorted. Though I am a little confused by how mine was just a case of plug and play with my English Vonage number and how you have had trouble. I had absolutely no trouble or need to have any ports opened - it was simply plugged into the router and it was working straight away. Still, as you say it is working now which is the most important thing.