Tourist Visa Stays in Brazil - 180 days per year maximum

Begs the next question: how likely it is to be stopped by police?   Does one have to do something wrong or suspicious or do they profile based on one's appearance or just wearing foreign clothes? white sneakers? :)

I am certainly glad that I discovered this forum and the very helpful information from the moderator.
Here is what I want to do, and this is what I understand are the rules. If it all sounds correct, then a simple reply of "ok" is perfect. BUT, if I have made mistakes would like to know what I have wrong. Here goes:

1] As a US citizen I will obtain a Tourist Visa in order to visit Brazil
2] I know I can not stay more than 90 days consecutively, nor over 180 days in any "rolling" year.
3] I want to fly from US to Rio de Janeiro and stay there for approx 60 days on my tourist visa
4] Then I want to fly from Rio to Buenos Aires,Argentina and stay in Argentina for approx 14 days.
5] Then I want to return from Argentina to Rio for another approx 60 days.
6] Then I want to fly back to the US
7] When I get my Tourist visa, I want to have purchased  a one-way ticket from US to Rio and have just a reservation for a return from Rio to the US within 90 days, but don't want to actually buy that return ticket since I want to fly from Rio to the US five months after I fly from US to Brazil. to
8] I want to buy the Rio to Buenos Aires tickets once I am in Brazil.
9] I want to have a reservation (but not a purchased ticket) for the flight back from Rio to the US when I enter Brazil the 2nd time (from Buenos Aires)

Total number of days in Brazil will be 120 in the rolling year, which should be OK.

Longest consecutive stay in Brazil is 60 days, which should be OK

SInce my tourist visa allows multiple enry/exits, I won't need to "renew" the tourist visa on my second entry into Brazil on my flight from Buenes Aires to Rio.

OK, that is it.  DO I ahve it right?

I so far have never been stopped by the police but I suppose that is if you look or act suspicious your chances are greater, besides most times I am out and about I am with my Brazilian wife

you should have no problem with that as long as you don't exceed 90 days on the initial visit you are fine. so 60 should be no problem. I am not sure if you need a visa for Argentina I would check that out before going you could end up having to return very quickly to Brazil if they require one

Hi daxbr,

What I said, and you didn't clearly understand, is that you are REQUIRED BY LAW to carry ID, ergo your travel documents, on your person at all times and to produce them whenever asked to by a police officer.

Here in Brazil it is routine in any kind of an occurrence, the police here stop EVERYBODY, nobody moves in or out until all documents have been checked. You could be completely uninvolved in a situation you'll still get carded. The crooks might walk away, but it will be you with the documents that are out of order hauled off to the Feds.

Hope you understand the gravity of the situation now.

Cheers

Hi jnlindsay,

First question are you entering Brazil on a (physical) Tourist Visa or under a Visa Waiver Program (VWP). If you have a visa then your original 90 day stay can be extended for up to another 90 days. It's only the VWP stays that can't be extended or be consecutive.

What I suggest you do is either contact the Consulado-Geral do Brasil that issued your visa or the Policia Federal and give them your trip plans and ask them how to procede. I'm sure that you should have no problem at all.

Regarding the return ticket I'm afraid that will probably be another story altogether. You are required to have and produce a return ticket (not open-ended) upon arrival in Brazil. I think that your best option is to purchase a ticket that permits a change of date with little or no additional cost. A one-way ticket won't get you into Brazil.

Cheers

jpoulter wrote:

Hello, I am currently staying in Brazil with my girlfriend training bjj.  We are both British and therefore received a 90 day stay upon arrival.  The 90 days expires in just over 3 weeks but we would like to extend our stay for a further 90 days, we wondered how to extend it. Do we go to the Federal Police to extend? Will it possible to stay for 180 consecutive days?  Or would it be better to leave Brazil around the time of when the 90 days expires and return a few days later? If we did this would we be simply issued a new set of 90 days (for the maximum of 180 in a year).

Hi,
As a British citizen you can extend 90 days as we do not have the same immigration policy as the rest of the EU.

I extended mine in Natal in March (after 89 days here). I just went to the PF with my passsport and landing card. Got the form to pay the approx 70 real fee, went to the banco do brasil and paid, took it back and they stamped, done in an hour.

wjwoodward wrote:

UK citizens are exempt only from the requirement of a visa. That allows them to enter the country as a tourist for a stay of three months in any six month period. ALL VISA WAIVER PROGRAM COUNTRIES ARE THE SAME.

Sorry, I know it's not the news you want to hear, but I'm just telling you like it is.

If you want confirmation all you need to do is phone the Federal Police.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi William
I am afraid I think you are wrong on that unless the law has changed in the last 3 months.

I am British and was extended by 90 days no problem, yet a less fortunate German and Dutch guy were not allowed at the same time I did mine. This was at the start of March.

The UK is not part of the same immigration system as the rest of the EU so I guess this has something to do with it.

The Brazilian Consulate General in London also advises stays are extendable for Brits.

Sorry not trying to go against  you, but obviously don't want people missing out.

Regards

Hi tech-spec,

Thanks for your feedback. You are correct, I just checked the regulations and Brazil reciprocates the UK's stay duration for Brazilian citizens which is 180 days. This is clearly a lot different than all the other European nations.

Cheers,

Hi William
I entered with an airport visa.

The UK is not actually a Schengen Area member - we opted out along with Ireland. I guess the new rules only apply to Schengen Countries.

The PF was actually quite thorough. She didn't know the rules and thought I couldn't extend but she checked and Brits could. As mentioned a German and Dutch guy were not allowed.

Maybe I was lucky but considering the Brazilian Consulate says we can i guess its ok?

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Was too efficient! Just replied to see you had amended your initial post :)

I guess us not being a Schengen and the reciprocation agreement is why.

I know in the UK that they are trying to sweeten Brazil as a trading partner so I guess that may help.

Cheers

salus

Please help me to understand Brazil visa , If you like, I can send you image too
it has followings

Local De Emssao/ Place of Issue (Boston)
No of Visa/ Visa No: XXXXXMG
Nos of Entry: Multiplas
Date of Issue: 9 Apri 2013
Type of visa: VITEM II
Duration of Stay: 90 days
Name: My name
Travel Doc: my passport number
Date of Birth: my DOB
Nationality: Singapore
Embassy issue authority: Boston

at bottom it is mention following
VISTO VALIDO POR 90 DIAS/ VISA VALID FOR 90 DAYS
MAXIMO: 180 DIAS POR AND/MAXIMUM: 180 DAYS PER YEAR
NAO PERMITE TRABALHO OU ESTUDO/
NOT VALID FOR WORK & STUDY

Can you please tell me when this visa will be expiring? is this visa valid for 10 years

Please let me know

Thank you

HS

Please help me to understand Brazil visa , If you like, I can send you image too
it has followings

Local De Emssao/ Place of Issue (Boston)
No of Visa/ Visa No: 113609MG
Nos of Entry: Multiplas
Date of Issue: 9 Apri 2013
Type of visa: VITEM II
Duration of Stay: 90 days
Name: My name
Travel Doc: my passport number
Date of Birth: my DOB
Nationality: Singapore
Embassy issue authority: Boston

at bottom it is mention following
VISTO VALIDO POR 90 DIAS/ VISA VALID FOR 90 DAYS
MAXIMO: 180 DIAS POR AND/MAXIMUM: 180 DAYS PER YEAR
NAO PERMITE TRABALHO OU ESTUDO/
NOT VALID FOR WORK & STUDY

Can you please tell me when this visa will be expiring? is this visa valid for 10 years

Please let me know

Thank you

HS

This visa is only good for 90 days past the date of original entry into Brazil so it would be 90 days from that date. As with any visa issued in the US for Brazil it must be used within 90 days or it is invalid so if you have not used it yet you have until July 9th to use it for entry and 90 days past that it will expire that is if you wait until July 9th to use it. If you used say today May 17th you would have 90 days past or it will expire in August (90) calendar days from entry. This is not a 10 year Visa and I am not sure they have a 10 year Visa,  mine was only for 5 years. I hope this helps

wjwoodward wrote:

Hi daxbr,

What I said, and you didn't clearly understand, is that you are REQUIRED BY LAW to carry ID, ergo your travel documents, on your person at all times and to produce them whenever asked to by a police officer.

Here in Brazil it is routine in any kind of an occurrence, the police here stop EVERYBODY, nobody moves in or out until all documents have been checked. You could be completely uninvolved in a situation you'll still get carded. The crooks might walk away, but it will be you with the documents that are out of order hauled off to the Feds.

Hope you understand the gravity of the situation now.

Cheers

Hi wjwoodward,

I can appreciate you taking the highroad.   In this case however,I was discussing more practical approach.

More practical approach? What's more practical than not taking the risk of getting deported?

If your documents aren't in perfect order or you don't produce them to any police officer on demand they have one simple answer and it's immediate and universal >>>>>>>>> Next stop Federal Police.

I'm just saying that nothing is worth that risk. You must remember that despite the fact that it's a Democracy (at least in name) Brazil is still very much a police state. Here you do exactly what a police officer says, no questions asked, or you wind up on the wrong end of a very pointed stick. Trust me, I've been here for over eleven years now and seen lots of people get themselves into very deep doo doo without even trying.

Cheers,

I must add to this If you do any travel by roads in Brazil every town or city you come to there is a check point most times they do not stop you they just wave you thru, but would you like to take the risk that one day going thru the check point you are stopped and everyone in the car must produce documents. It has happened to me at least once and it is a very real possibility. I had my documents all in order so no problem if I didn't have them BIG PROBLEM so listen to what woodward says IT IS TRUE

That's right John, not to mention the Drinking/Driving Blitzes everywhere or the simple fact that taking any form of public (interstate) transportation, be it by bus, train or plane requires producing your documents and if you refuse they just phone the cops and an officer arrives and demands to see them.... game over.

And to answer your question daxbr about how likely it is to get stopped by the police, it's inevitable and almost impossible to avoid. I walk around dressed in a business suit and tie certainly not fitting any other profile than that of a business executive, I've been carded so many times I've lost count, just because I happened to be somewhere when they were checking somebody else.

hello to everybody
and thank you for such a useful information
though it is really very hard to understand all that rules
so sorry if that question was already asked many times but i really need some help

i have a Russian citizenship and according to the rules i don't need visa to Brazil (just the stamp tin the passport upon arriving at the airport) and can spend here 90 days in a half of year... so not more than 180 days in a year...
that is my second visit... the first one (the first one in my whole life) was in January 2013... i arrived at 16/01/13 and left country at 14/02/13...
then i spent more than 2 months outside Brazil and arrived here again at 22/04/13... today is 26/05/13 and i'm still here in Rio...
so i really can't understand when i need to ask for my visa prolongation (as well as i am not going to leave Brazil yet)...

also the second question is: did anybody try the way to go to the Foz do Iguacu - the city which is on the border with Paraguay and Argentina and just get the stamp of any of that country and then return back to Brazil? so officially you will be in Argentina for example (where i, as a russian citizen can also spend 90 days per half a year) but really you will be staying in Brazil... i have few friends who are carioca and they told me that nobody check the passports there on the border, and only people who want or need get the stamps, but that is not the way that police check everybody... so what do you think? is it possible?

and the last question: if you will get the prolongation of your visa for other 90 days, will you be able to travel with this type of visa to other countries outside Brazil? i mean the countries close to Brazil like Chile or Argentina? or is it impossible and you will be stuck in Brazil?

thank you

Visa Waiver Program (VWP) visits to Brazil CANNOT be extended. You are only allowed to stay 90 days, this must be followed by at least 90 days out of Brazil. At that time you can return and stay an additional 90 days. This permits 180 days per year BUT THEY CAN'T BE CONSECUTIVE. Only people who must apply for a Visa are permitted to have all their days consecutive.

Cheers,

Hi there,

I am a Dutch citizen. Is it possible for me to just apply for a physical tourist visa (even though i don't need that) so i can apply for a 90 days extension?

And hypothetically, if you get stamped upon leaving the country after overstaying, cant you just get rid of potential future problems by applying for a new passport back home? This way you won't have the stamp in it.

Bob 100,

The answer to your question is NO, the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the Netherlands will not issue a Tourist Visa (VITUR), since the Schengen Area Agreement supercedes all past arrangements between the countries. So, no you will not be able to stay more than 90 days in any six months (counting from the date of first entry into Brazil). Just not possible.

You will receive a stamp in your existing passport for any visa overstay and the resulting fine. If you are renewing your passport normally at its reaching expiry, or if you request a new passport to replace your existing on you will have to produce the old one to your government for cancellation. The information contained therein will just be transferred to the new passport, so the reference to visa overstay and fine will continue to be shown. This is not a really big deal as far as getting back into Brazil, but it could be all some other country needs in order to refuse you a visa should you wish to travel there. Have you considered that before?

Strange how many Dutch members are asking the same question, everybody is looking for a way to play fast and loose with immigrations laws. Sorry to tell you guys over there, some rules should not be bent or broken, the consequences are too extreme.

Cheers,

In that case you could always report your passport as stolen so it doesn't get transferred i think? Anyways, I think you are right and breaking the rules isn't the best idea.

1. So I think I will try to enroll into a language course at UFSC and get a student visa based on the that. Is this still possible as far as you know?

Also, it's clear to me that schengen residents can only stay 90 days per 180 days in Brazil.

2. But what if I spend let's say 6 months on a student visa, then cross the border, and try to re-enter Brazil on a tourist visa to get 90 days. Will this work? In other words, do days spent on a student visa count towards the tourist visa day cap?

3. And to make things more complicated: does it work the other way around (enter on tourist visa, cross border, re-enter on student visa)?

Thanks so much for your answer and i find this topic really intersting and useful. thanks!

As far as I am aware except for a work visa VITEM-V, in the case of obtaining a job here, using a Student Visa or Tourist Visa isn't going to help you either way. I believe that the days already in the country are going to transfer between them either way around, sorry to say it's my understanding that anything else would effect the 180 day cap since on a Tourist Visa it's the number of DAYS you have been in the country previously that are deducted from your allowed stay. If you've been in Brazil already for 180 days (even as a student) they'd subtract those anyway and you'd end up with zero for the year. They don't do that if say you're here on a VITUR and while here find work and apply for a VITEM-V work visa. They would issue the new visa regardless.

You should seriously be thinking in terms of the Student Visa if you plan on staying more than the 90 days. You will get a visa issued for the duration of the course (provided you are still enrolled) and you can renew/extend it should you take further courses.

Cheers,

Dear Wjwoodward,
I had a questions while I was researching what would happen if I overstayed my tourist visa. Keep in mind it is not my plan to overstay, I am in the process of getting my student visa while currently living in Brazil and if the paperwork does not arrive before my visa expires for my tourist visa then I want to know the consequences. I know that there is a fine with a Maximum of 180 days and stamp in your passport but if you overstay your visa I have read that you are not able to return to Brazil for 3 months? I need to know because I will need to leave Brazil and travel to another country to get my student visa but if the paperwork takes to long and I overstay my visa, will I be able to return?

Hi bainter,

How are things there in Lavras MG?

Actually I think rather than taking any chances what I would suggest is that if ALL of the paperwork from your school isn't ready before your VITUR is about to expire then take everything you have to the Federal Police anyway, explain your situation and see if there is any way they can help you. Are you actually on a 90 day (extendable) visa or is your stay here in Brazil a Schengen Area or VWP entry that they just stamped your passport? If you actually have a visa and haven't already extended it you can ask for a 90 extension if you haven't already been here over 180 days in the past year.

Cheers,

Dear Mr. Woodward
Yes I have already extended my tourist visa and it is still good for another 8 weeks. I have started the process in getting a student visa about two weeks ago. The paperwork is being done now in America and will be sent to me once it is done. But if I overstay my visa(waiting for my documents)and if the federal police cannot help me, is there a penalty stating that I cannot reenter Brazil for 3 months? I have seen this on several websites.
On another note, I am truly enjoying my time here in Brazil. The people are so friendly and welcoming, in the short time I have been here I have made many friends and treasured memories. 

Respectfully

I'm not certain, but since you would be entering on a different class of visa VITEM-IV as opposed to VITUR I really don't think you will have any problem coming back to Brazil at any time. You should ask the Federal Police for a definitive answer however.

Cheers,

hi ,
i am from india.i had brazil's bussiness visa(vitem II)it was issude on 13th april 2012.i had visited brazil for 90day from May to July last year.in my visa there is not mentioned any validity date.it's mantioned that
first entry within 90days (i had it).
Maximum 180days per year.
now this year i need to visit again so do i need to apply for visa again?or my previous visa is valide?

Hi chintan_9281,

Your current visa should still be valid. You should confirm that with the Brazilian Consulate that issued the visa just to be certain.

Cheers,

thanks for prompt reply my visa is not tourist visa it,s buissness visa (vitem II)
i had asked brazil consulate they said to apply for visa again i had applyde and i got 90 days visa again stamped
valid for 90 days from date of issue in april 17.it means my old visa is not valid now or it,s the remaining 90 days of my old visa?what it means in my 1year old new type of visa stamped
duration of stay 30 days
maximum 180 days per year?

if i enter in brazil with my new visa dated 17 april in a week then do i will have to come back in 1month or i can stay there for 90 days?as it is stapmed
valid for 90 days from date of issue

You are confusing duration of stay with validity. The duration of stay is the maximum amount of time you can stay in the country in one consecutive visit (without applying for an extension). Validity is the period until it is expired and can no longer be used.

In your case it appears that you have a very time limited visa which will expire 90 days from the date of issue. You're allowed only to stay 30 days (without applying for an extension).

All visas are stamped with the warning about 180 day maximum stay per year, forget that it does not apply to you since you aren't permitted to be in the country anywhere near that long.

thanks
my previous visa was not stamped any this like valid for ___period
my previous visa also stamped duration of stay 30 but i stay there for 90day i had visited federal police they told me i do not need any ext. on that visa so i had strech my stay to 90 days.
so for my new visa is valid for 17 july and if i will enter in brazil now then i will have to come back before that date is it?

if i will enter in brazil on my current visa which is valid till 17th july,will i able to strech my stay for 90 days from date of enter ?

If you enter on the current visa any extension is completely up to the Federal Police. It is not automatic, usually they will not give any problems in obtaining an extension, but there is no guarantee.

This also depends on the number of days you've already been in the country on the day you apply for an extension. They will count back exactly one year from that date and subtract the number of days you've been in Brazil (counting day of entry and day of departure as FULL days) and subtract that number from 180 to determine the maximum number of days you are allowed to be in Brazil.

Cheers,

Hi willium
thanks
if they count like that then there is no problem i can get 90day more even though i had visited last year(2012) in 5th may and i return 31st july exectly 90day for old visa.my 1 year is completed on 5th may form first entry.
is there any other type or category visa in which i can get long term visa for bussinuse or for Technology Trasfer?
i am working for a company who had a manufecturing plant there and i need to visit almost every year about 30-90 days for technology trasfer there.please suggest if any long term visa is available for this purpose.

Hi do you know if the big black stamp when you overstay is registered on a central computer if my daughter got a new passport would it still hinder her getting work visas for other countries or getting into other countries is there a way of them finding out after she has a new passport. Thanks

Hi Tracy,

As far as I know the overstay stamp/fine is linked to the current passport number of the individual. With a new/renewed passport I really doubt that any other country would have any way of accessing the information. I know it certainly would not cause any problems here in Brazil even with the existing passport so long as the fine is paid.

Cheers,