Living and Working in Italy

Buongiorno!

I would love to hear about people's experiences living and working in Italy.  What Italian city are you living in/have lived in, what kind of work do you do, what advice would you give an American who wants to live and work in Rome?

A little background: I'm a 31 year-old female living in Boston who wants to move to Rome.  I speak Spanish and am working on my Italian.  I've looked into several job possibilities- teaching English, finding work with an American company with offices in Italy, etc.  I must say I feel overwhelmed.  It seems that the CELTA certificate guarantees the best opportunities for teaching English.  However, that course is not offered in Boston.  What types of TEFL certificates have people found to be helpful?

Again, I would really enjoy hearing anybody's experience as an expat in Italy!

Hello Rosa
I have been living in Italy since 1971! I am now retired but have been working for an English/French speaking embassy. The rules for living in Italy are different if you are from a country of the European community (like me) and non European like yoy. You should contact the Italian Consulate near your home or look on Internet to find the rules for the stay of an American in Itly.

What I know is that it is rather difficult, more or less to have your permit of stay (permesso di soggiorno) you need a work, and to hav your work permit (permesso di lavoro) you need your permit of stay.  Good luck

Rosa,

sorry so see you had so little response from the forum.

I have lived in Italy since 15 months now. Even though I am European, and travelled to Italy many many times before, I did not expect the country to appeal to me as much as it did.

I absolutely love the country, its sights, its people, its mentality, its food, approach to life, the sun, the climate,...

On the other hand, I don't have to deal much with authorities, local administration, nor companies (I work for an international organisation, so we are pretty much on our own little island, professionally). When people complain about Italy, it is mostly about that: lack of professionalism, lack of service, support, followup... Which is probably the backside of why I love Italy so much "personally".

The country is not cheap, and to really enjoy it, you need to speak Italian. Even beginners' Italian helps you out.

That is my feedback...

I regularly post about Italy.. Stories about Italy

Peter

Hi everyone! I'm new here, but also interested in hearing how others successfully moved to Italy. I am an American citizen and currently doing research on my family to try to apply for Italian citizenship. That process can take years, however. I would like to hear how other American citizens were able to move Italy and land a job without the help of dual EU citizenship. Though in a legal way, mind you. ;)

Thank you!

I lived in Italy for four years but was employed as a civilian by the US military.

Hi!
I live in Genova, Italy, that is the Ligurian Riviera. It is wonderful here and I love it. However, I can tell you that yes, it is hard to get a "permission to Stay" unless you have an advantage. Such advantages would vary depending on your country of origin and financial status. I am Canadian and we have a program with Italy that allows 1 year working permit to people under 30 or 35 years old...I cannot remember exactly. Unfortunately, I did not qualify, I am 43. The other option was to prove financially that I could live there without any income or assistance...I haven't won the lottery lately so this was also a dead end for me.
Luckily, I had an Italian boyfriend of 4 years and so we got married. We would have anyways, but these sped things along.
Now, having said that, I am still working through the beaucratic mess of getting my pds (permission to stay), but I do have a legal right to work and have been teaching English.
I think some Italian is handy for sure, especially if you don't know anyone here, but I have met plenty of English speaking people here and the Italian's love to have someone to practice their English on!
Hope this helps...don't give up! It's worth the effort.
I have a blog, check it out: http://lmarmstrong66.wordpress.com
It's called help! I live with my italian mother in law.
If you want more assistance please feel free to email me.
Ciao, Leah
[email protected]

Hi Rosa,

Well I have to say I was lucky, because I had an Italian passport before coming here. And before working here you will most definitely need a permesso di soggiorno, which is one of the most complicated things ever (beaurocracy is after all beaurocracy...). The problem is that the US doesn't have an agreement with Italy for working visas (my Australian friends all had no problems getting Visas..) You have to find someone willing to write in a letter that your job can be done by you and only by you (teaching English for example - you are after all mother tongue). After you have that, it should be fairly easy.
As far as CELTA and TEFL are concerned they are both the same really. I have a TEFL certificate and it is the same as the CELTA. Look into the program that is easier for you to follow. A complete program should teach you not only grammer but lesson planning classroom management and give you a few ideas on methods and strategies.
Hope this helps!!

Elora