Hello everyone!

I'm an English teacher who is planning to transfer to Nizwa from the Philippines. This is going to be my first time to work in a foreign country and I'm excited to discover what lies ahead.
Can anybody please share what it is like living in Nizwa?

Hi Amy_Catalan,

welcome to Expat.com!

I have moved your topic on Oman forum for better visibility.

All the best,
Christine

Thank you so  much!

Hi Nizwa is like a large town, and is situated about 2 hours from Muscat. To be honest social life etc might be a bit slow. There are many beautiful sights to see in and around Nizwa so a car and driving licence is a must.

T

Hi ScotTony,

Thank you very much for this information. I actually love a quiet place since I dont usually party every night. Im more of a nature type of person so I guess Nizwa is the perfect place for me.
I was wondering if you could tell me about the locals and the security of the place. I was informed by family and friends that a single woman should not go to the middle east. How true is this? I usually put faith in people and I always think  positively.
How is the cost of living in Nizwa in terms of OR? I want to know how to budget my salary and to save for travels during holidays.
Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Amy,Welcome Nizwa is good Historical place and good for evrything i have one friend she is working past two years in Nizwa University at same Department let me know if you need more help....

Dear Vikram,

Thank you very much for replying. Im glad that Im beginning to have two contacts and more to come :). Is your friend Filipina? If she is, how can I get in touch with her? If she's not, I would still love to meet her.

Amy

Thanks for response we will share once you will reach Oman
WR
Vikram

Ok. Thank you.

Nizwa is nice place to live. It is not like a busy and crowdy city therefore, life is much better there. Housing and necessities of life are every economical as compare with Muscat. It is a tourist place too therefore, you will find many tourist around the world there.

Overall, Oman is very nice place to live and work.

Thank you very much for replying. :) I now have an idea how life is in Nizwa, well more or less.

Hi Amy,

As you have seen in the earlier messages nizwa is a nice quiet place to live in. If you joining nizwa university then they provide accommodation and furnishings anyway, so no worries. But you need to seriously get a driving licence pronto as taxis are not so easy to come by especially when you need them. But if you are joining the college of technology  you will get a good home for about 250 riyals.If you are looking to save money then this is the place to live in.

All the best..

salim ali

dear Salim Ali,

Thanks for the info. I will ask again when Im there.

Hello Amy..

first welcome to your second country Oman and special Nizwa  :)

i have been in Nizwa for 4 years till date and for my vision its really nice place for saving money...the best thing is if you try to get driving licence it will be very easy to move coz in here you should take private taxi but i know some other expat in here also like you they working in university they book a taxi for travelling sometimes from muscat to nizwa. the living in here is cheaper compare with muscat for sure, the best have done in here the made big market name LULU its really helpfull in this time coz before there is small market but its hard to get what you want. from my side you will not be confuse when you are here im sure you will like it much...

if there is any question bring it here, but i think the earlier messege is done...

Be Happy You Are In Oman... :cool:

All The Best...
Ammar