Apartment shopping in HCMC

Hi!  I am an American guy in my mid-20s, and I will be moving to HCMC next month to start a new job.  I will be working near the Bitexco Financial Tower, and I will need to find an apartment somewhere close by, preferably within walking distance.  My rent budget is around $1,000 a month, does anyone have any recommendations for decent furnished apartments in that price range? Or warnings about apartments to avoid?  Or just advice in general for apartment shopping in the area?

(Just to be clear, I'm NOT looking for sales pitches from realtors, but rather suggestions from people living in the area)

I have sawn some houses or rooms for rent at Le Thanh Ton str, Ben Nghe ward, Dist 1, HCMC. You can search this area where is suitable with  your request.

Hi Epicurus, do not forget that you may post an advert in the section Housing in HCMC.;)

Harmonie.

Not much around there, unless you rent something privately from those small houses in the neighborhood. Their standard is not high.

For apartments, the closest one with good standard is the Vincom which is out of your price range. The closest with reasonable price is the Copac in D4 about 1 km away, or the H1 which is about 1.5km away.

The serviced apartments: The Sommmerset and the like are more expensive than your range.

If you have a bike, your choice is much better: Saigon Pearl, The Manor and those in D2.

Anatta, thank you for the info.  If I were to rent something in D2, are there transport options besides biking? (I've never tried riding a motorcycle so it might take me a while to get good enough for the road)  Is there a bus from the Pearl/Manor area, and if not, would taking a taxi each day get prohibitively expensive?  Thanks again

Manor: bus yes, but you should try using it at least once before making yourmind. No bus after 1900. Taxi to bitexco around 70-<100k vnd/ way. Really convenient. Always one waiting for you day and night

Oh, and there is always the 'xe om' but their price is around that of a taxi since you'll be charged more just because you are a foreigner:-). It is ok since they overcharge me too.

Agree with Lucy Hoang, there have many serviced apartment located on Le Thanh Ton - Ly Tu Trong  - Thai Van Lung - Thi Sach area that might match to your criteria. Even you can walk to your working place or hang-out around downtown as well.
P.S. My friend rent one unit at #20 Thi Sach, about 50-60m2, 1 bedroom, 1 WC, kitchen, living room, cost $1,000/month

You need to get a feel for the market. Just as you scout out stereo sets or cars, same applies to TP HCM housing.

Craigs List VietNam has listings which give you a feel for the market. Never rent without seeing what's offered.

Downtown, Quan 1, is pricey, Quan 3 more moderate and a good selection of rooms or shares.

Quan 2 and 7 tend to be on the higher rent side.

Flooding and noise can be a pain, knowing the neighbours improves your security as they can keep an eye on your goodies. Changing the keys on anywhere you rent makes things safer.

Remember, electricity can be included in your rent or charged separately by EVN (electric company). Gas, for cooking is your cost. Water can be included or extra, cable TV costs around $4/month. Then some landlords charge a 'management fee'! Parking, when you get wheels, is often extra.

Rental agents usually collect a month's fee as 'sales commission' and landlords often expect two months rent as a security deposit (three months rent on move in)

To help you locate thongs, Wikipedia has maps of the Quans, or Districts, to get your mind in place.

WWW.Diadiem.com has street maps, put the name of the street in the search field (omit the word 'street'). You can even insert street numbers.

Wards, or Phường's, have names or numbers and are important for taxi/motorcycle drivers to locate addresses. Since Vietnamese is not pronounced as it is written, write the address down first and show it until you get there.

Until recently TP HCM had no landmarks to help with your navigation but now there is the Bitexco Financial Tower which can be used from many parts of SaiGon. (The Bitexco Financial Tower is near the SaiGon River and Ham Nghi Street)

The radio/TV transmitting antennae are not really that tall.

You have to be registered with the Cong An office for your area. This requires your passport and visa. THIS IS A FREE SERVICE, some landlords like to charge!

Anatta wrote:

Taxi to bitexco around 70-<100k vnd/ way. Really convenient.

So only around $4-5 for a taxi?  That's not so bad.  How long is the drive from the Manor to Bitexco in the morning, does traffic get pretty bad at rush hour?  Thanks again for answering my questions, I appreciate it!

Never more than $5. Traffic is not bad, even at rush hour. Tend to clog a bit around Ba Son cross road, but not more than 1-2 minutes. Otherwise, it is quite straight sailing both before and after. Have never timed my trips but I'll guess 15min.

:) you come and try home stay fist to learn more about vietname in short time while you can find perfect place for you. Hope That will be helpful. You take take a bus from home stay to your work easy just 4000 vnd. I can i can help you something when you come as a friend. welcome !

DD

Epicurus wrote:

(Just to be clear, I'm NOT looking for sales pitches from realtors, but rather suggestions from people living in the area)

Watch your mail box ... they, like ants and cockroaches show up everywhere.

Actually the closest apartments to Bitexco Financial Tower are actually within the building itself. It is a new multi-use building that opened about 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, as you are looking here for accommodation, it's unlikely your salary would get you even a utility closet there.

The Bitexco Financial Tower is located near the intersection of Ham Nghi and Ton Duc Thanh.

Use www.Diadiem.com to locate it (actually the address is located just off the opening screen move down and to the right).

On Ho Tung Mau (streets are named after Northern VN fallen heroes these days), the street on which the Bitexco Financial Tower is physically located, AND on the street on the 'other' side of the building - Hai Trieu - there are several Standard hotels.

Given it is hotel low season, and low prices, you should be able to land a hotel room for around $10-15 a day. This will allow you to search for more permanent accommodation. Remember to get a monthly deal (VN doesn't have discounts, they call them PROMOTIONS).

I know there are decent, presentable hotels with a few minutes walk of Bitexco. (I can't personally recommend hotels because of conflict of interest).

At least you can eat decent VN food across from the Bitexco Financial Tower at the NHU LAN Restaurant.

Using Diadiem.com - it has a search box (don't put street in the search box) - you can check out addresses.

Foreigners are restrained by police as to where they can stay (other than most hotels) which effectively blocks out a lot of the immediate area.

Between Bitexco and the populated part of Quan 2 (massive land clearance scheme in between) it will take 15-20 minutes by taxi (assume taxi is a $1/kilometre).

Using Diadiem.com look for Thi Sach (just off the top of the opening screen). The block defined by Thi Sach - Hguyen Sieu - Le Thanh Ton and Ngo Van Niem has many apartments and long term hotels. Really friendly area. It would take a 20 minute walk to reach your office.

There is a strip of condo buildings, adjacent to the perfumed canal, in Quan 4 - on Hoang Dieu between Calmette and Khanh Hoi that rent.

In reality, most forms of public transport (including taxis) are less than ideal and you will need to get a licence ('exchange' plus a road test) and a set of wheels to get around on.

The Somerset is in need of a refurbishment, as are many of the highrise buildings in Quan 1.

You will find several tired-looking highrises in the Nguyen Thi Minh Khai and Nam Ky Khoi Nghia area. The rents might well fit your budget but then there's transportation.

Other accommodation can be found in Quan 3.

Before you head over spend time with Craigs List VietNam < http://vietnam.craigslist.org/roo/ >, < http://vietnam.craigslist.org/apa/ > to get a feel for the market. NEVER rent anything unseen.

When you move in most landlords require 2 months security deposit PLUS first months rent. You then get to pay for electricity, cooking gas, parking, management fees and anything else the landlord can dream up. GET RECEIPTS FOR ALL MONEY PAID.

When you find an apartment, go over it with a fine tooth comb (unless you like paying for other peoples damage) and when you find damage have the landlord or sales rep stand next to the problem and take a picture. Also notify the landlord, in writing, of all deficiencies.

Most rental accommodation comes with at least the bare minimum of beds, chairs, table(s), sofa, TV, fridge, stove, etc. If you get lucky some LL even throw in sets of sheets, too. A condo I rent even has a microwave, china wear, pots and pans, flatware (knives and forks), as well - all for USD$400/month in a 5-year old building. There is also inside parking, sundeck and a swimming pool. No good for you as you have no wheels. It is a 10-minute ride from your office!

you can exchange your licence from there to use here as well. I can help you do that. You should drive motorbike here more convenient with the traffic here. let me know if you need Motorbike and licence. :)

Hi there, I've just moved to Saigon myself and am looking for a nice apartment, I'm in my mid twenties as well (from New Zealand). It seems impossible to find a nice apartment in your budget in District 1 (walking distance to your work). I've narrowed my search to Saigon Pearl or The Manor but these places start at about $1500 for a 3 bedroom apartment.
My suggestion: would you be interested in sharing an apartment in one of these places? Ive just looked at some nice places in Saigon Pearl which are 140m2 with a huge master bedroom you could have for well under $1000.

Taxi's are definitely a viable option for the first few weeks (would be no more than $4 to work) until you get used to the city then you can start to practice on a motorbike, I could give you a hand to learn no worries. A few years ago I lived in here for 8 months and it took me about 2 weeks to get comfortable on the motorbike to ride anywhere.

I'm not a realtor, but I keep an eye on the market. Anatta mentioned Saigon Pearl, The Manor as good options. Another option is City Garden, but not sure if a furnished apartment will be in your price range.

You can get a "studio" apartment at The Manor. You can get a furnished studio a few hundred below your price range.

Saigon Pearl has two and three bedrooms. Mine is a three bedroom and currently paying $1400 a month plus utilities which end up being about $150 to $200.

Agree with Phi Long on the City Garden option. It is brand new and a bit closer. It has different sizes from one bedroom to 3-4. Not sure whether it is easy to find landlords there.

I went to hotels.com and got a nice room for 2 weeks at under $20 a day at the Viet Nghi De Tham Hotel.  Its in district 1. On October 3rd I will be able to tell if it was a good decision.  Believe I can find a place to live once I get an idea of where I want to live.  Best of luck in your search.