Seeking advice about "natureish" housing around Drøbak/Oslo?

Hi

We're a Danish family (2 adults, 2 children) currently living in Florida, USA. My wife is going to work in Drøbak and I'll be seeking IT-related jobs in a radius of about 1 hour of commuting time from our future home.

Our preferences are mostly family friendly and beautiful surroundings with nature/forest within walking distance if possible.

Drøbak and Nesodden is a bit on the expensive side, and there not that much up for rent. Regarding the cost we're seeking something preferably not more than 12.000 NKR.

Any locals etc. that know some good places near Oslo/Drøbak that fits our preferences?

Any advice would really be appreciated! :)

Cheers
/Kristian

Hello Kristian.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

The Housing in Olso section is at your disposal. You can post an advert there.

You can read this article on Accommodation in Norway.

Good luck in your research,
Aurélie

Hey,

You are going to be a little out of the way in Drøbak, it's roughly a 35min drive from Oslo city center, though that can easily become 50mins to an hour in rush hour traffic (8-9:30am and 3:30-5pm ish), obviously depending on where in Oslo you happen to be :).

There are plenty of IT jobs in Oslo, not saying they are easy to get though, it all depends on qualifications and experience but since you're Danish you'll have a heads up on the language given your decent English as well.  There are other places close'ish by, Drammen and Moss, both have direct rail connections to Oslo as well.

However, regarding an actual place to live, for 12k NOK / month you are best looking for a place a little outside of any of the big places, usually many people who commute so there are many places around.  I'm more accustomed to the area north of Oslo (Akershus) so I can't help too much sorry :(  For perspective, I have a decent sized one bedroom apartment about 10mins walk from the heart of Oslo, and it costs me 11,500NOK / month (rented).  With a one hour commute via train (North of Oslo, i.e. around Eidsvoll/Råholdt) I could easily expect to get a 3 bed house and garden etc for less than what I pay now.  It's all about what you need and where you are.

Best of luck!

Hi - sorry for my absence. I didn't realise anyone replied. Thanks for the welcome Aurélie, and thanks Gary for answering my question.

Akershus looks nice, but figuring that my future job would be somewhere in Oslo that's a no go. Either I commute or my wife commutes to Drøbak. Adding all the kids logistics It will only work out if one of us is close to the kindergarden.

I'll keep searching. There's more and more on finn.no these days.