If I get a student pass, what can my wife do?

Hello all,

I specifically joined this site to ask this question so please forgive my selfishness...

My situation:

I am interested in pursuing a PhD in Singapore in the area of comparative education.  I am confident that I can secure a student pass for myself but am wondering what my wife would be able to do with regards to a dependent pass.

I am American, she is Japanese.  As mentioned I would be a full-time student, she has no intentions of studying in Singapore.

Ideally she would eventually find employment in Singapore, but doing so before arrival would no doubt prove an insurmountable feat.

Visitor's visa with border runs every 30 days until she can find a job willing to sponsor her visa?  Is that a possibility?

Any and all feedback/advice greatly appreciated...

jmpuhr

Hello jmpuhr.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll soon get some responses from other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

jmpuhr wrote:

I am interested in pursuing a PhD in Singapore in the area of comparative education.  I am confident that I can secure a student pass for myself but am wondering what my wife would be able to do with regards to a dependent pass.

As a student pass holder, you cannot get a dependent pass or long term visit pass for your wife.
Basically, she can only get a long-term pass on her own merits, e.g. based on work.
She can get a 3-month LTVP for job-seeking (http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=172).

jmpuhr wrote:

Visitor's visa with border runs every 30 days until she can find a job willing to sponsor her visa?  Is that a possibility?

This is not a legal option and she can (and certainly will after 3 or 4 times) be denied entry when she returns.

Thanks for the response, Beppi.  That's a bit disheartening but about what I expected...

In your experience, is it difficult to find employment in Singapore?  Vague question I know.

My wife has lots of experience doing office work, generally in human resources.  If she had to though she would consider work in a Japanese restaurant.

Would her ability to speak Japanese be considered a commodity at all?

Again thanks...

jmpuhr

Sorry if my answer wasn't what you want to hear, but it's the facts (and not me who makes these rules).
If your wife has a university degree in the field and experience in HR work, it should be possible to find a job and get an EP for that, possibly in a Japanese company in need of a translator-cum-tea-lady. Without relevant degree, it is difficult to get a work visa.
I don't know about Japanese restaurants, but generally waiters are from third world countries and paid accordingly (in addition: there are no tips in Singapore).
Maybe she can also start a course at the university (and get a student's pass)?

Hi,

I am a Singaporean living in Singapore. You may want to visit this link from the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoint Authority on FAQ (Frequently Asked Question).

Click "Contact Us" near the top right hand corner of the page and ask your question giving all the relevant details e.g. PhD program, name of university, financial sponsor, etc.. to obtain the absolute answer from our relevant authority if your wife can be issued with a dependent pass while you study in Singapore.

http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/ica/apps/fcd_faq … ZsDg%3d%3d

The current employment market in Singapore is very good. Depending on your wife qualification and age, I am pretty sure she can easily get a job anywhere, especially a hotel related position. Marina Bay Sands (MBS) employs many foreigners. If your wife looks presentable, it always has a vacancy for her. I worked there so I know. She can either apply for a job before both of you leave for Singapore. Or apply in person when she is here. MBS prefers walk-in-interviews, unless of course if she is applying for a Vice President position or higher, in which case she will have to write in to apply.