Moving to Tokyo: Suitable salary

Hi all!

I have been offered an exciting job in Tokyo with a 6.0M JPY salary. The company would pay standard Japanese social benefits such as national health scheme insurance and would also pay commuting costs to work.

Since Tokyo is so expensive I will like to know if the salary is enough to live with no luxuries and suffering in the city.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Hello Zuberoa & welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum, it may give an idea to you.:)

All the best,
Harmonie.

6M a year?  As a single person?

Yeah, you're good...

I lived in Japan for about 4 years never earning more than 4M/year.  Was able to live quite comfortably and travel internationally with regularity. 

Biggest expense will definitely be lodging.  I lived in Kita-ku (Akabane specifically) and really enjoyed it.  If you want to live in Shibuya or Meguro it will cost you a lot more.  Ikebukuro is a nice medium between the two.  And there are a myriad of places that I never even went to or considered that might be right up your alley.

If possible, I recommend staying in a sakura house apartment for a month before starting work.  Use that time to scout out various areas of Tokyo to decide where you want to live, then start hitting real estate offices.

Top places I would want to live in Tokyo:

Kichi-joji
Shimo-kitazawa
Ikebukuro
Akabane
Mejiro

Best of luck!

Thanks all!!!!

jmpuhr wrote:

6M a year?  As a single person?

Yeah, you're good...

I lived in Japan for about 4 years never earning more than 4M/year.  Was able to live quite comfortably and travel internationally with regularity. 

Biggest expense will definitely be lodging.  I lived in Kita-ku (Akabane specifically) and really enjoyed it.  If you want to live in Shibuya or Meguro it will cost you a lot more.  Ikebukuro is a nice medium between the two.  And there are a myriad of places that I never even went to or considered that might be right up your alley.

If possible, I recommend staying in a sakura house apartment for a month before starting work.  Use that time to scout out various areas of Tokyo to decide where you want to live, then start hitting real estate offices.

Top places I would want to live in Tokyo:

Kichi-joji
Shimo-kitazawa
Ikebukuro
Akabane
Mejiro

Best of luck!

If I find half this salary I go to Japan without thiking too much, it is enough to live decently