Moving in to Mongolia

Hi,

I have just received my offer letter from one of the Firms there. I'm an auditor/accountant here in the Philippines. I'll be joining the firm by September if I can secure my visa easily.

I have some questions before I sign my contract:
1. How much is the average cost of living in UB?
2. Is it hard to get a flat at UB and can someone help me find a flat when I arrived? I have two weeks from the date of my arrival to find one or at least secure on while I'm still here.
3. What shipping company would you advise to me for my personal belongings to get there? It will be coming from the Philippines.
4. How is the weather at UB?

I would greatly appreciate your response and help.

Regards,
Reva

VISA in Mongolia is easy
Cost of living in Mongolia is:
  1 KG of Poatao - 1US$
  1 KG Chicken   - 3US$
  1 KG Beef      - 5US$
  1KG Rice       - 1US$
  Vegetables are costly and seasonal
You acn get a flat in UB, It is also costly

Weather in UB is now Pleasant - Warm
From Novemeber onwards Winter will start
It will go upto -40degreeCelsius
Bring Warm Clothes

I plan to move there Mid-August..

I was wondering the cost of flats..

reva.cpa.ph wrote:

Hi,

I have just received my offer letter from one of the Firms there. I'm an auditor/accountant here in the Philippines. I'll be joining the firm by September if I can secure my visa easily.

I have some questions before I sign my contract:
2. Is it hard to get a flat at UB and can someone help me find a flat when I arrived? I have two weeks from the date of my arrival to find one or at least secure on while I'm still here.
3. What shipping company would you advise to me for my personal belongings to get there? It will be coming from the Philippines.

I would greatly appreciate your response and help.

Regards,
Reva

In Darkhan you can get a two room (one living room, one bedroom, kitchen, and bath) for 250,000 to 300,000 tugrik a month. I imagine that is a bigger challenge in Ulaanbaatar.

Latest rates of apartments/flats from zar.mn

Flat or so called one room near UB center close to Bayangol hotel 500 000 tugrugs.
I also found following ad in zar.mn
"Gorgeous 1 rooms apartment rent with furnished. Apartment has bedroom, big diningroom, and bathroom which is oppsite to the ikh delguur - State departmnt store Just in the heart of UB. phone 99089478"

Two room apartment in or close to city center costs around 650 000 tugrugs.

Most of the owners would ask you to pay for at least 3 months or more in advance. Some would ask you to pay whole year rent.

If you don't bother to live with Mongolian family, you could get a cheaper room. Some families want to have English speaking housemate to help their children or themselves to learn English.

If you are to work in UB based company, it should have a department or somebody to settle you down here.

You may find other expat to share apartment as I have seen ads in coffee shops.

Good luck, you should be fine here,

it depends, rent has gone up recently 1BR fully furnished apartment right at the center of UB will cost you somewhere between 600000MNT to over 800000MNT. As for grocery if you prefer to cook at home you'll save a lot but on weekdays you have no choice but to eat out, a decent meal will cost you 5$-15$. If you manage to rent an apartment right at the city center and lets assume your workplace is in the center you won't be spending a lot on transport. Its better to get a place near city center as traffic is becoming more and more unbearable.

It can be easy or the other way around. They're property agents that find expats a place to stay they've got plenty listings in their database. I'm not sure if they charge though.

Try EMS its cheaper than DHL but safe too.

Its been raining all day long this summer. But usually UB has dry hot summer and you gotta be well prepared for the winter it gets -30!

[Moderated: Please post in Housing in Mongolia section]

things get more expensive day after day. I would budget around 600-800USD/month at least for a 30-40 sqm apartment.