Driving license in Jamaica

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Jamaica?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Jamaica?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

Well there are some varying ways to obtain a jamaican driving licence. The properly correct way is if you have a driving licence from your home country I believe you can drive on that for one year and all the insurance companies here insist that you get a jamaican driving licence. This is where it gets complicated. To obtain a licence you go to the tax office and pay for a driving test application, you then go to the test centre and show them your valid licence from home and the completed form (I forgot to mention that the form you have to complete is long and tedious and you have to provide passport photographs and the obligatory JP's signature - you can get these forms from the tax office if they have any in stock!) So at the test centre you then have to take a written driving test and this is not as simple as you might think and I would suggest that you search the net for a site that will let you practice the test online or you may get caught out. Once having passed this you then have to go back to the tax office and then pay again for a driving test  I know it sounds illogical, but that is the way it is, then you go back to the test centre give them the receipt and they will give you a date to turn up for the test. You then arrive at centre on said day and take the test which can be as arduous as the examiner feels like! Once you past the test you then go back to the tax office in a few days...better to give them a couple of weeks and they will have the documents sent to them from the test centre and then after having completed another form they will photograph you and issue a driving licence to you. Believe me it is the most soul destroying method of getting a driving licence anywhere in the world! I have heard that there are ways around the system but they are bound to be illegal so best not mentioned on here.
The cost is not cheap and I think the whole process will cost you in the region of JA$20,000 (about 150 uk pounds)

Thank you for contributing greybiker! :)

Aurélie

Hi, have there been any updates on this topic as I have an overseas license which is about to expire.