Formalities to bring your pet in Jamaica

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Jamaica?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Jamaica?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Jamaica?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Oooh...not sure I would recommend this at all.  I have two dogs and always wanted to take them down with me on long holidays to Jamaica and it proved to be a true nightmare, even from Atlanta where it was only a 2 hour flight.

They need all the vaccinations from an approved veterinarian.  They need to travel at the right time of year, on an approved airline (no budget airlines), and only so many can go on board the plane at a time.

They do have rabies in Jamaica (unlike England) so the problem would be getting your pet back from Jamaica to go elsewhere in the world.  If you are down there for a short time, you may find it difficult to get your pet out.

Yes, they would quarantine them but also they have to travel at the right time of year because of the heat.

Start with the airport authorities, depending on which city you will enter.  I would recommend Montego Bay as they deal with more tourists and may be friendlier with better customer service.

Jamaicans don't really consider pets as near and dear or an integral part of the family as other countries.  Pets are generally kept outdoors and although well looked after, they are not as endearing in that country as they are in America or England.  You will find that sentiment expressed by the airport handlers as well. I didn't want to put my babies through that so I didn't take them with me.

Good luck.

:one

Hi there!
I am trying to understand one thing regarding bringing pets to Jamaica ( a dog, in our case ), is it possible at all???
The only info that I`ve managed to find officialy, is that ONLY dogs from UK and Ireland are allowed to enter the country......
That is very dissappointing! :(
The truth is that this information is from  2007 and seeing Fernwood`s post here gives us  hope..... understanding that, it is a very complicated procedure but yet doable?!
Please let me know about any possibility, experience or updated information on this topic.
Thanx a lot and best regards!

``ONLY dogs from UK and Ireland are allowed to enter the country.....``It`s true .....Sad but true ....I could not bring last month my full vaccinated dog with veterinary ID chip and even more doc -s than me from Tanzania for this reason.I really cannot understand this abnormal and stupid regulations ,but this is the situation in Jamaica.

Okay, so to add a bit of clarity here, Jamaica does not in fact have rabies. We got rid of that quite a few years ago along with a few other human and animal diseases, which is why your pets can't come here unless they are coming from a country which has managed to do the same.  Your animals are therefore quarantined on the way IN - and you have to prove that they had all the right shots and treatments because we don't want to re-introduce diseases already eradicated.

Quarantine normally takes a minimum of 2 weeks so if your trip is short don't bother to stress your babies - keep them home.

To the other points, we do not generally keep our animals indoors unless they are toy dogs and animals like snakes and gerbils that are kept in a small structure (cage/aquarium).  Sorry, but animals are not allowed at the dining table nor in our beds.

LisaHR

Yes , your Jamaican law is clear - It`s allowed to import dogs only from England and Ireland.
The quarantine is following the import of the animal only from those two countries ,otherwise is prohibited with or without quarantine.
Please just do not make me laugh that Britain is free of rabies:)

IF YOU HAVE A DOG , FORGET JAMAICA !

This is taken from the jamaican High Commission website in the uk:-

Importation of Dogs and Cats
Regulations Governing the Importation of Dogs and Cats into Jamaica

No dog or cat shall be imported into Jamaica except such an animal was born and breed in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. This applies to Guide Dogs also. Dogs and Cats vaccinated against rabies are not allowed entry into Jamaica.
    Every dog or cat imported into Jamaica must be accompanied by an Import Permit Issued by the Veterinary Division of the Ministry of Agriculture, Jamaica.
    On arrival at Kingston, which shall be the only port of entry into the Island, every dog or cat shall be examined by an Inspector appointed under the Law and quarantined for no less than 14 days. If found free of any clinical signs of any notifiable disease, it may be cleared.
    To obtain an Import Permit requires an Health Certificate, to be first obtained from your local Vet, which should be sent for certification to:
        The Animal Health Divisional Office (AHDO) DEFRA
        (Please visit their Website at www.defra.gov.uk for the AHDO Office in your region)

The Health Certificate should state that there has been no Rabies in unquarrantined dogs, cats or other animals in the country from which it was exported.

The Heath Certificate must accompany the animal and should be addressed to :

The Veterinary Services Department,
    Ministry of Agriculture,
    Hope Gardens,
    Kingston 6,
    Jamaica, W.I.
    Tel: +876 977 2489
    +876 977 2492
    +876 927 0594
    Fax: +876 977 0885
    e-mail: [email protected]

* Please refer any questions regarding the importation of other small domestic pets (e.g. hamsters) to the Veterinary Services Department for their consideration.

The quarantine of all animals will be at the owners expense and this and other attendant costs ( e.g. transportation from airport to nearby quarantine facility) are outlined in an information leaflet which accompanies the issued import permit. It should be noted also that the importation of these animals attracts customs duty and it is therefore recommended that owners contact Jamaica Customs for an evaluation and further information on indicative costs. Please visit their website at: www.jacustoms.gov.jm

Heath Certificates are issued:

In the case of Great Britain by :
    The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), Animal Health Divisional Offices (AHDO) - as stated above
    In the case of Northern Ireland by:
    The Animal Disease Control Branch,
    Department of Agricultural and Rural Affairs,
    DunDonald House,
    Upper Newtownards,
    Belfast BT4 3SB
    Room 715.
    Tel: 0289-052-4622
    In the case of the Republic of Ireland by :
    The Department of Agriculture, Dublin

No dog or cat so imported into the Island shall be landed if it has been in contact with any dog or cat other than a dog or cat coming directly from Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, or a dog or cat that has been released from quarantine in those countries in respect of Rabies, and which in either case has been granted an Official Certificate from the country of origin referred to above.

So if you are not from the UK then the answer is no.

Hope this helps.

Jamaica does not have Rabies like the Uk they took a lot of trouble to stamp it out. If rabies ever did rear its' head in the country again it would spell the most horrendous deaths for all the stray dogs that inhabit the island. We have plenty of dogs in jamaica, any sort you like. As said in previous posts they are kept outdors and are regarded as yard dogs to bark and guard the place not to be pampered and petted. they are well looked after and I have what are, in reality, two wild dogs that I got as puppies. Great in the yard but would never ever let them lose indoors.

I don't know where Fernwood got your information from but it is totally inaccurate.

1) Jamaica has no rabies now or ever has, for that reason only pets from the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are allowed to be imported into Jamaica.

2) Pets can only be imported into Kingston ( not Montego Bay) as that is where the quarantine facilities are and there is a mandatory quarantine of 2 weeks.

Hi! I'd like to know if you found a way to bring your dog in jamaica. I'm planning to move there and i really want to bring my dogs with me... If you found anything can tou plz contact me thanks!

Hello,

I am looking into the same thing have you found any information on the topic? All I can find is if you are visiting your not allowed to bring your dogs. If you can let me know anything that would be great :)

Kind Regards,

Hello
Someone manage to bring their dog to Jamaica ? In 2015/2016?