Mauritius and Reunion Travel Safety for Women

Greetings,
My (white, American) 14 year old daughter is traveling to Mauritius and Reunion this summer with her only her mother (also white American).

They are fairly cautious and experienced travelers, but I am concerned about assault and would appreciate any insights on the current atmosphere and level of crime, etc. with regard to women, and especially white American women.

Thank you all...

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv … /mauritius

I don't think thieves care a great deal about the skin colour of their victims.

We have lots of white expat women here including Americans, South Africans, Europeans, Australians etc and no problems. I am British married to a Mauritian and live in Mauritius and have never once felt unsafe.
You don't say if they are travelling as tourists or if they are staying here long term?
I would say that its the local Mauritian population in general who experience petty theft and other opportunistic crime, though unwary tourists have been targeted.
Dont carry valuables etc and flaunt expensive cameras, jewellery.
There is a high level of policing here and also CCTV cameras in all the major tourist areas.
So just make sure they exercise the same level of caution as they usually do when visiting other countries.

In Mauritius it is pretty safe. Of course, no going out in isolated areas at night, like everywhere else. Also, if they are staying in an individual house close to the beach, to be a little careful about where they put valuables because these houses are sometimes targeted.

hi smith you should not worried about the travel for tourist we have more security around.nothing to worried.......

I know many Woman living alone on the Island. All Colours ;-) The Island is safe.  But you still have to take basic precautions like anywhere else. One thing is sure , You will never ever get shoot in the street of Mauritius!!!

As a (brown, Mauritian) male of 31 years of age, I can honestly say that Mauritian men prefer to murder, rape, and steal from women who are Mauritian and usually related or acquaintances.  They tend not to go for women (white) as they tend to be bigger.

Hope that helps. ;)

No that doesn't help stephenn!

Hi Stephenn,

I had a good laugh at your reply, you have a great sense of Humour.

I am married to a Mauritian girl. Today is our 27 th wedding anniversary.
We go to Mauritius almost every year.
We worry the most about our own family (mauritian family). They are into drugs and alcool. They are good as long as you give them money but they can be very nasty if you stop giving them money.
Otherwise, we don't worry too much about other people.

Hi alaintier,

This seems to be much personal and off topic :rolleyes:

Armand