Life in Cagayan de Oro, Mindinao, Philippines

I arrived in Cagayan de Oro City (CdO) on September 20, 2005. 

I had done some research but little did I know my life would change drastically.  I was well aware that general Filipino population did not life as well as the average American but like most people from  countries like the USA we do not realize how different life will be.  I have acclimated fairly well to life here and plan to stay for a considerable time.

During the next weeks I will continue these entries and give information that is not easily found online.  Maybe it will help others in the future.

Welcome on board!

Maybe it will help others in the future.

Yes it will! Thanks for your participation :)

Installment 1:

I like a lot of other men came to the Philippines to find a wife.  Though my intent was and still is to stay here at least until about 2010.  Women are plentiful here and the ones that are wanting and willing to marry a "foreigner" of of two categories....honest and less than honest.  I made the mistake of "Falling in Love on line."  Long before we even met in person.  Some would say that I am a foolish old man ...at 60 years old I would have to agree that I was foolish.  I am an honest person and tend to accept people for who they show me to be...guys just remember that "you can't judge a book by it's cover."  What a woman says and does online is no different than what some of you men do on line.  Honesty is a critical part of any relationship.  So before you go falling in love and promising the dark-haired beauty the world meet her and her family.  also when you meet her don't let sex be a deciding factor.  Filipina women have been raised to satisfy their men in every way but some of that is changing.  Sexually they are very knowledgeable and what man doesn't like good sex or oral sex.  So, don't let your penis do the thinking for you.

To show you how foolish I was the woman I fell in love with took (in Philippine standards ) a large amount of money from me.  I freely gave the money because I had it and then she married another man from England.  The reasons she gave me for marrying him were:  that he would take her out of the Philippines, he would make her pregnant and the biggest reason was that he had a bad heart and was waiting to be accepted into the Transplant Program in England and she didn't figure he had long to live.  So, I guess there is a bigger fool out there than I.  Just be careful guys.

Here in the Philippines what is referred to as a divorce is actually an annulment.  Each of you should know is that there is no divorce in the Philippines.  If a woman tells you she is divorced make her prove it with documents and verify they are true.  For a man and women to get a divorce in the Philippines takes a lot of time, money and special reasons that the court will accept.   Generally, even if the husband abandons the women and children that is not enough reason to divorce.  If either person does not want a divorce it will not happen.  If the woman does not have the money to pay a lawyer she will not have any chance of getting a divorce and also the divorce/annulment may not be granted. The final decision is up to the Court and Judge.  There is information on the internet about Divorce/annulment in the Philippines.  So check it out.

I did find a wonderful woman here and we will eventually be married but not soon.  We also will live here in the Philippines for a while before going to the USA.

Tomorrow, I will discuss the visa system and cost.  Bring lots of money if you plan to stay more than 21 days

Installment 2

If you plan to stay in the Philippines longer than 21 days be prepared for the VISA system.  Almost every major city has an Immigration Office and the address can be found online at http://www.immigration.gov.ph/.  Also it is important to know that you should take extra money with you to the Immigration Office.  As a general rule if you go in an inquire about the cost of a VISA extension they will tell you the cost of the VISA extension but not the all of the Fees Associated with the process.

NOTE: P= Piso  I.E. P1000 is One-Thousand.  I am using P48 per 1 USD or the rate of exchange.

My first extension was for 44 days and the total cost was P2020($42.08 USD).  My second extension was for 30 days and cost P3290 ($68.54 USD).  My third extension was for 2 months and cost P1820 ($37.91 USD) and my most recent extension was for 2 months and cost P3540 ($73.75 USD).  I will be applying for my next extension on or about April 12 and I have no idea what the total cost will be this time it is supposed to be about P1820 but I will be taking P5000 with me just in case.

Part of the cost of getting a VISA extension is a P500 fee for issuing it the same day you apply.  You have to complete a form and also you will need a photo copy of the main page of your Passport and the VISA page each and every time you go to to apply for an extension.  If everything goes okay you can actually have your VISA extension completed in about 1 hour possibly 2 hours.  The usual office hours are 9AM to 11AM for processing and payment, Lunch is 11 or 12 - 1PM or 2PM, and 2PM to 4PM for processing and payment.  During the time you are waiting they will have your passport.  When you pay the fees you will receive the receipts for your extension and your passport will be stamped for the VISA extension you receive.

If you go in and ask what the extension cost be prepared to know that what they tell you may not be complete info.  I have had some glitches each time mostly because I only took the amount of money they told me and then had to go to an ATM to get more money.  Like I wrote before I will be taking P5000 with me just in case.

Additionally, if you do not live close tom the Immigration Office you should allow a whole day in the City where the Office is located and add your travel time there and back.  If you should happen to miss applying for your VISA extension you can   get one issued retroactively but the will also be a major fee for the late application and also a fee for the late issue of the VISA.  I have not had that problem yet so I do not know what the fees are for that.

Next time I will discuss money exchange and what living in the Philippines costs.

Hi,

Where did you file your visa extension? Is it in Cagayan de Oro?  Thanks!

Dreamer

Please keep up the info... I am planning on moving  over in Aug. or Nov.  thanks much for the warning, ans insight. I will be watching for your future posts.

hi,
   want to move to philippines with my wife. we are married for 5 years but i dont know if i could trust her. she has a lot of high ranking official friends in the philipine like judge, attorney and district lawyer. i am afraid if i comit mistake she will jail me.this is just a fear for me. she is good to her in england i dont know if she could be the same in the philipines if we are living there.

ian wrote:

hi,
   want to move to philippines with my wife. we are married for 5 years but i dont know if i could trust her. she has a lot of high ranking official friends in the philipine like judge, attorney and district lawyer. i am afraid if i comit mistake she will jail me.this is just a fear for me. she is good to her in england i dont know if she could be the same in the philipines if we are living there.

you should not have married her if you feel like this. It has been 5 years and you still do not know her????

I was wondering what a house would rent for in CDO that is similar to a house from the west (3 or 4 bedrooms, air, flush toilets )Also what would the average hydro bill be with the air on most of the time

Thanks  Scott

i am looking 2 rent apartment in cdo could you please help with some advice about prices thanks pat

sjp52 wrote:

I was wondering what a house would rent for in CDO that is similar to a house from the west (3 or 4 bedrooms, air, flush toilets )Also what would the average hydro bill be with the air on most of the time

Thanks  Scott

you can pay as little or as much as you want. Depends how mainly on your personal living preference. If you are prepared to live like a Filipino its very cheap especially in a nipa hut. If you want to live like in America you can pay as much too. If you want the best price you need conections. Dont rock up to a real estate agent and expect to find a bargain.

ian wrote:

hi,

Heheh, if you think that she may have you jailed for a rape you didnt commit then dont move to Philippines with her.

If you think that for 5 long years of marriage still you don't trust your wife, well I guess that's the biggest mistake you've ever done to your life, got married with forever stranger...:D

God speed.
Jo

hello vfbjred59,

I am  Filipina and sad to hear your story. I agree with  you, don't judge the book by its cover. Internet  relationship is  deceiving reason. What happen to you is another story of scam happening online. But not all female in the Philippines are like that. I started using my internet 2006 and four four years i would say I learned a lot. Cyber love affair is so unbelievable.   I had so many questions and  all were answered. Here's what i learned. Guys and  gals do the same thing and if we wanna take the risk then I can say it's our responsibility to protect our selves. Don't allow  the emotional attachment, learn to get to know the person, study them and think quietly. I wonder why people  fall in love  to someone they haven't met. That's so ridiculous and if someone ask for money then stop and think. We all have our brain to think. Again sorry or what happen to you.

vfbjred59 wrote:

Installment 2

If you plan to stay in the Philippines longer than 21 days be prepared for the VISA system.  Almost every major city has an Immigration Office and the address can be found online at http://www.immigration.gov.ph/.  Also it is important to know that you should take extra money with you to the Immigration Office.  As a general rule if you go in an inquire about the cost of a VISA extension they will tell you the cost of the VISA extension but not the all of the Fees Associated with the process.

NOTE: P= Piso  I.E. P1000 is One-Thousand.  I am using P48 per 1 USD or the rate of exchange.

My first extension was for 44 days and the total cost was P2020($42.08 USD).  My second extension was for 30 days and cost P3290 ($68.54 USD).  My third extension was for 2 months and cost P1820 ($37.91 USD) and my most recent extension was for 2 months and cost P3540 ($73.75 USD).  I will be applying for my next extension on or about April 12 and I have no idea what the total cost will be this time it is supposed to be about P1820 but I will be taking P5000 with me just in case.

Part of the cost of getting a VISA extension is a P500 fee for issuing it the same day you apply.  You have to complete a form and also you will need a photo copy of the main page of your Passport and the VISA page each and every time you go to to apply for an extension.  If everything goes okay you can actually have your VISA extension completed in about 1 hour possibly 2 hours.  The usual office hours are 9AM to 11AM for processing and payment, Lunch is 11 or 12 - 1PM or 2PM, and 2PM to 4PM for processing and payment.  During the time you are waiting they will have your passport.  When you pay the fees you will receive the receipts for your extension and your passport will be stamped for the VISA extension you receive.

If you go in and ask what the extension cost be prepared to know that what they tell you may not be complete info.  I have had some glitches each time mostly because I only took the amount of money they told me and then had to go to an ATM to get more money.  Like I wrote before I will be taking P5000 with me just in case.

Additionally, if you do not live close tom the Immigration Office you should allow a whole day in the City where the Office is located and add your travel time there and back.  If you should happen to miss applying for your VISA extension you can   get one issued retroactively but the will also be a major fee for the late application and also a fee for the late issue of the VISA.  I have not had that problem yet so I do not know what the fees are for that.

Next time I will discuss money exchange and what living in the Philippines costs.

ian wrote:

hi,

yeah you should  not marry her :) PEACE! well , five years is long enough to trust each other besides she cannot put you in jail  without any reason and if' im the judge or  one of the government  official I can't put someone in jail without filling any case. It has to be strong case for anyone  to put someone on jail.

sjp52 wrote:

Thanks  Scott

very cheap Scott. Everything in the Philippines are actually cheap. In makati you can find  a place  from 5,000 pesos to 150 thousand/month. That's in Makati City. I would say CDO is much cheaper.

I have since my last post here, Have visited the Philippines 4 times (2 months each time). Spent most of my time in CDO. Average price of a 3 bedroom house in a subdivision is 15,000 pesos ($324 can.). My electrical bill ranged from 12,500 pesos per month (big honking air conditioner), To 5,000 pesos air running mostly at night and some times during the day.

hi,

Hi,

You should not worried about her. I would think that she will like the idea of both of you moving to the Philippines and don't ever think about committing  grave mistake, you know what I mean, my man..

lee

I would guess that if she had you jailed your income to her would stop?? Your retirement is your retirement and im sure if you were jailed you could contact your financial institution to stop payments? Further if you don't trust her why on earth would you consider moving there with her? As far as annulments they need to be in the country you were married in.

Hi Guys;
I have read the sentiment of vfbjred59. I'm so sorry to hear what you've been goin through with our Filipina women hope you won't generalize our women.

I am a resident in Cagayan De Oro City, thank you for choosing our small city as your temporary resident.
I guess, you've had enough information about my city and the whole country as well.

For all expats trying to find a wonderful prospect wife be careful its not only in the Philippines but anywhere in the world there are women with bad heart. They are like sheep in the outside but wolves in the inside.

Please do visit my blog if you do have enough time guys!
ofwbisdak.blogspot.com -A Life of Overseas Filipino Worker.