Speaking Spanish

In doing some research on Spain, having never been there, I am aware that there are several different "Spanish" languages.  I do believe that Castellano is the predominant language but am wondering if there are regions where Castellano is not all that useful.  If I have a reasonable proficiency in Castellano will I be able to get by in any area of Spain, or are there some that should be avoided - from a language point of view.

Hi,
In my opinion in barcelona, for expample, is more difficult to improve your spanish, because they speak mainly in catalan.
For spanish speakers is not too difficult to understand them but if you donŽt speak spanish fluently you will have problem with many words.
Moreover, I recommend you to visit barcelona if you have the opportunity because is one of the most beautiful cities in Spain.

Regards

Thanks for the tip!

Hi Knuckehead,

How are are you?

I know you are a bit concern about the different dialects in Spain I know is quite confusing sometimes, but you don't have worry much about it.
In my opinion once you learn the basic Spanish (castillian) you won't have any problem at all travelling round Spain even if you go to different areas where those other dialects are spoken.

Good luck with your decission...

Cheers!!

Kittycat

Hi Kittycat,

I'm doing well thanks. In fact, I expect I will be booking my flight to Spain in the next couple of days. Just have a couple of things to organize first. Really looking forward to it. :)