Hi

Hi I just join Expat.com. I came here in Yangon from India now i am working in Yangon.

Hello mbavinodsharma and welcome to Expat.com.

Your post has been moved to Myanmar forum for better visibility.

Tell us more about you please :)

What was your first impression of Yangon?

Was it difficult for you to integrate a new environment?

Do not hesitate to share your experience.

Thank you,
Aurélie

HI Aurelie,

My first impression was not so good for Yangon. After reaching here when i saw the Old Cars i was very shocked. There are few Problems like Internet and Telephone and Electricity. But there are so many nice things also like not so polluted environment, not a lot of traffic, nice peoples, safe etc. Now i love that country because of these reasons. Its was not so difficult to integrate in this environment because peoples are caring and honest. Nice to be here.

Thanks,

Vinod Sharma

Hi Vinod,

I'd be interested in hearing more of life there ...

I'm heading to Thailand, Cambodia and Burma at the end of the year.

My father was born in Burma and so I'd like to look around the country for a few weeks.

The only thing I must have is an internet connection (my work), preferably a USB mobile one - are these available?

I guess I can head over for just a few days if not, but I'm looking with a view to living there later.

Also, do you have any idea of the VISA requirements/costs?

Thanks

LC

Hi LC,

I am afraid you won't get a USB mobile internet connection in Myanmar (unless something changed dramatically in the last two years, since I left  Yangon). However, you can get a pretty stable connection for your home if you plan to live in Myanmar.

Visa: you can get one at a Myanmar Embassy for about 20-30$, online at http://myanmar-vineyard.com/index.htm, or apply for a visa on arrival via a travel agent (you're looking at 20-30$ more but it's safer and you don't have to travel to an Embassy). It should be pretty easy to get a VOA for 28 days but you need to apply in advance, 2-4 weeks.

Good luck!

Hello netyoda

I was in Yangon last month ,and i am very happy to announce that 3G is available now on mobile device. they charge around 4 Kyat per kb.

But the main issue is the sim cost which is around 200 USD for a prepaid sim. (Note - i saw a Mobile rental kiosk at the airport, but did not inquire about the prices )

You could always get a 20 USD SIM with a Month validity and 20USD talk time, but i am not sure if 3G is available on it.

for visa related info check this site : http://www.myanmarevisa.gov.mm

Visa on Arrival for 50 USD - http://www.mip.gov.mm/visaonarrival

About Myanmar

Be ready to get shocked , the country is still under develop by  20-30 yrs. then their neighbor, but things are improving very fast...

if you have more questions , feel free to shout it out

Thanks Misha and Siberian, useful if not promising information ;)

Is it possible to use mobile phone from other countries in Myanmar? 

Is WiFi available in any bars?

Sorry for all these questions but although I'm familiar with the most of the facilities in neighbouring countries, I have no idea what's available in Burma.

$200 for a SIM card is pretty scary!

Regards,

LC

Hello

1. Is it possible to use mobile phone from other countries in Myanmar? - NO, SIM CARDS OF OTHER COUNTRIES DO NOT WORK IN MYANMAR (INTERNATIONAL ROAMING IS NOT SUPPORTED)

2. Is WiFi available in any bars? - YES WIFI IS AVAILABLE IN MOST OF THE CAFES, Bars AND RESTAURANTS.

If you are planning to stay long term then its a good idea to check for Water supply  and Electricity Backups.

I saw a lot of super markets with almost every household item, so supplies should not be an issue.

Cheers !!!