HELP NEEDED.. is this a good offer?

i have been made an offer for a staff nurse on PICU, I have 10 years experience.
Initial term of your employment contract is for 2 YEARS, renewable thereafter.
Basic Salary of SR 14,180 per month (Grade 08,Step 25).
Relocation allowance in the amount of SR 1,000 is paid upon initial hire.
Economy Class tickets for you will be provided upon initial hire ENGLAND,
UK to Saudi Arabia), and upon repatriation (Saudi Arabia to MANCHESTER, ENGLAND).
Full medical care is provided for you. Dental care is limited to (emergency only).
Annual Leave for a total of 54 days shall be provided.
Severance benefits equivalent to 15 days basic salary is paid during the first four years, and then one
month basic salary for each year thereafter. The accrued amount is paid out to the employee upon
resignation from the Hospital.
Year-End Bonus equivalent to one (1) month basic salary is given at the completion of second year
contract and every year thereafter.

urgent replies needed i have a week to dicide... thanks.

I feel that with 10 years experience, the salary offer is low.  What about housing?  Transportation?  Tickets for a trip home during the year?

Amount of annual leave is very good. Also, the one month bonus in addition to the severance package is good.

They'll fly you here on BMI, most likely.  Be prepared to use that 1,000SAR to pay baggage fees lol

Good luck!!

It seems this is a fairly average starting salary from friends experiences. However as Allie said it's is not much with 10years experience. But. Look at the hours/days they are expecting you to work as well. You may find that it is a low basic but it is for half a weeks work effectively, you may find you can easily add 50% + to that with overtime.

And 1000riyal is pocket change it will not get you very far. BMI has a 20kg baggage allowance they then charge you 44GBP for every kg heavy.

44 per kilo ?!? :blink:

Agree with the other comments but also check the leave doesn't include the weekends if you take two or more consecutive weeks, if you take three weeks off it would amount to 19 days not 15.

Alliecat wrote:

Yes, that's what they told me when my bag was 5kg over so as you can imagine I told them to stick it and I had a fantastic time getting dressed again and repacking my hand luggage within bursting point - I never go BMI now I always use Saudi or Gulf - you get 30kg and they dont care when you are over

Is it normal for contracts to be two years?!? Seriously...what if ur miserable? Is this aspect ever negotiable? I'm referring to school positions as well.

Yes, it's normal for the contracts to be for 2 years.
But say if someone doesn't like the employer/environment (or the other way round), there are always termination clause(s) that may be made use of.

But don't come here expecting to hate it or you will. It is not that bad here - there are some things in the work place you will have to work your way around but you will settle in and get a good group of friends and you will be well away - nurses are always busy doingthings and getting out to parties I think they have the best social life here so I'm sure you will like it out here.

And well if you just want to keep to yourself well then that is also very easy to do.

LoopyLou87 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Yes, that's what they told me when my bag was 5kg over so as you can imagine I told them to stick it and I had a fantastic time getting dressed again and repacking my hand luggage within bursting point - I never go BMI now I always use Saudi or Gulf - you get 30kg and they dont care when you are over

Hell, Saudia doesn't even mind when your 'hand luggage' consists of 5 pieces!!  (They're not about to challenge the Saudis.)

LoopyLou87 wrote:

But don't come here expecting to hate it or you will.

Well said, Lou.

And as for leaving before the 2 year contract expires, it can be done where I work with 3 mos. notice; it will negate/impact your service award; and, you will probably have to pay your own plane fare home.

Many people stick out six mos. until they are entitled to that first paid ticket home, and then they bail.

Alliecat wrote:
LoopyLou87 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Hell, Saudia doesn't even mind when your 'hand luggage' consists of 5 pieces!!  (They're not about to challenge the Saudis.)

Last time I flew in I was 3kg over Emirates didn't bother, checked my bags through all the way from Birmingham to Riyadh. At the change in Dubai, Saudi Airlines charged me £23 for being over, couldn't even take something out and wear it. Lesson learned not all airlines have the same policy, just because the one carrier doesn't then another might.

I'm suprised at Saudi Air charging you - I have travelled over with them and as Allie says they don't even question your pieces of hand luggage - I think you just got unlucky, perhaps you were last to board after 200 Saudis and their 600 bags :P

Martin Fin wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
LoopyLou87 wrote:

Last time I flew in I was 3kg over Emirates didn't bother, checked my bags through all the way from Birmingham to Riyadh. At the change in Dubai, Saudi Airlines charged me £23 for being over, couldn't even take something out and wear it. Lesson learned not all airlines have the same policy, just because the one carrier doesn't then another might.

Anybody has an idea if Qatar Airways is lenient on the excess baggage policy ? Or I might very well end up paying them out of my pocket.

LoopyLou87 wrote:

after 200 Saudis and their 600 bags :P

:lol:

I was the first to check in was more Lilley that it was hold luggage and I was flying business class so they thought I was good for it. Whatever at least it wasn't £44 a Kg and won't get stuffed again :-D

Hi Ally 1602,check out how many hours you will be working per week and if they allow overtime,have everything in writing because I went through the whole process and my agent missed on the working hours even he questioned my employer but didn't have it in writing.My employer is not very honest, they'r scamming every staff in the hospital where I work over 12 hrs per week without pay and no overtime.The salary is low for 10 years of experience.Enquire about the accommodation because housing is very expensive.

Hello.

The job offer is rather low. 1000 sar is also out of question.
Try to check prices with Egypt Air (through Cairo).
There is 46kg allowance which makes a huge difference. Also BA charges per extra luggage and not per kg which could be beneficial.

emoustakas wrote:

Hello.

The job offer is rather low. 1000 sar is also out of question.
Try to check prices with Egypt Air (through Cairo).
There is 46kg allowance which makes a huge difference. Also BA charges per extra luggage and not per kg which could be beneficial.

True, BA isn't generous at all.  My best experience with baggage has been with Saudia Air.

Thanks guys.  Reckon I'm more confused the ever!
Oh no! I don't know what to do!

Alliecat wrote:

I feel that with 10 years experience, the salary offer is low.  What about housing?  Transportation?  Tickets for a trip home during the year?

Amount of annual leave is very good. Also, the one month bonus in addition to the severance package is good.

They'll fly you here on BMI, most likely.  Be prepared to use that 1,000SAR to pay baggage fees lol

Good luck!!

Free housing and utility bills.
One free flight home each year.
I think it's free transport to/from work also.
Ihave asked about things like sick pay and unsocialable hours rate of pay.
I think it is 40 hors a week... Over 4 days.

My gut feeling was that is was shitty offer. But then I haven't been there before.

you cannot compare the offer from others.

Is it enough for YOU to move to a new country? Start a new life basically for the time you are here?
That is what matters. not what you are getting in relation to everyone else. That being said. negotiate for more lol I got 6k usd a year more by negotiating

The thing to remember is that it's possible to save  a lot of money here!  With no housing/util. expenses and no taxes, the only thing you're really spending money on is food and entertainment, and since there's no entertainment, you get to save that money, too :lol:

You can try to negotiate, as Sushi recommended, but if you're going to work for a government entity, there's no wriggle room (at least that's been my experience).

For me, the salary is about what I'd be getting in the States but it's tax free and I have no overhead plus 45 days vacation.  Many people come here with a goal in mind:  save enough for a substantial downpayment for a home, pay off college loans, etc.  They reach that figure and leave.  You don't have to spend your life here :) Plus it's an adventure!

exactly!
Im comming to have some fun, visit some more new places, and save a little bit of money while rebuilding my race car. I make 50% more than i would in the US, with no rent to pay, no need for a car to get to work, and free medical. itsa  win win

True, this can be a difficult place to live BUT a lot depends on your attitude.  If you compare it to home, you'll hate it here.  BUT .. if you view each day as a learning/growth experience and adventure, you'll be okay :)