Banking -or lack thereof!

Why is it every time there is a holiday or something, like Easter etc the banking system in this country seems to fall apart?

For 2 days now have been unable to withdraw cash from ATM. Think I tried every damn ATM in Sosua -NADA!!!

My Apt rent was due 3 days ago, but fortunately my landlord is understanding, so wont be chucked into the street.

Seems all forreigners are having this problem, several others tried before me and got nothing eiter. They really
want to get their act together, nothing more frustrating than being in stuck in another country with no money!

It's the city people going to spend their holidays in tourist areas. All those people taking money out just empties the cash machines. Though I think there is no excuse for it, because banks can plan ahead, I see it happens to the best. I had a hard time finding a ATM machine with cash in it when I was in New York last Saint Patrick's Day.

"Why is it every time there is a holiday or something, like Easter etc the banking system in this country seems to fall apart?"

Ok so it seems you are aware of the problem so why don't you plan for it and take some money out before the holiday?????

Pre planning goes a long way here

Bob K

>Ok so it seems you are aware of the problem so why don't you plan for >it and take some money out before the holiday?????

Well I am now, before not had too many problems and if there was normally solved in a day or so, but Easter was a bigger prob than normal.
Another thing realised since, the problem was taking out larger amounts when I tried smaller  amount later it worked, so guess they limit the amount at certain times.   But as Bob said probably best to do things well in advance- although I dont like having too much money lying around the house.

Unfortunately the situation got worse, after the several attempts to take out money, found later that the bank had deducted 10.000 Pesos although no money was actually received!

Of course banks always try to tell us their machines are foolproof, I know they are not!!

This is not the first time it happened to me. Got screwed twice in Tunisia, first time no money was received at all and second time when withdrawing 400 Dinars -and the machine gave me 20!

Luckily I got the money refunded from my bank, without to much hassle, I think they know it happens more than people realise and they dont want publicity about it, so hope will get money back this time too.

My advice for people if you try machines several times and transactions dont work make sure you check your account 2 or 3 days later to make sure there are no "Phantom" withdrawals!

It also may be best to use machines that are attached (physicaly) to the bank and during banking hours so that if there is a problem you can address it right then.

Bob K

>It also may be best to use machines that are attached (physicaly) to >the bank and during banking hours so that if there is a problem you >can address it right then.

Well one would think so Yes, but sadly dont work like that. In the
end you have to deal with your own bank as in cases like that it goes automatically to Fraud Department, they will ask what happened and you have to fill out forms,etc. Usually you do get your money back-but its not guaranteed, a German I knew in Tunisia who also had  no money from machine lost 300 Euro, as his bank refused to repay the money.

Plus of course this is now the third time it happened to me the last few years in various countries, so perhaps my bank will say one day, is this guy trying to bullshit us or what -and stop refunding, if this keeps happening.