Employment in Brazil for UK professional

Dear All

I am relatively new to this site and would be grateful to anyone with information or knowledge of the steps required in order to work in Brazil.

I have a Franchise Management and Business Development background including PR, Marketing and Events (which include written, radio and TV work).  I am currently undertaking a Masters in TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) and Professional Coaching course to go along side this, as well as learning Portuguese for the obvious reason.

I have started researching UK, American and Irish companies who have businesses based in Brazil. I will also contact the English Embassy in Brazil to see if they can also assist in some way.

Does anyone have any ideas or input they can pass onto me?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Laura

Portuguese translation:

Óla todos,

Eu sou relativamente novo neste site e ficaria muito grato a qualquer um com informação ou conhecimento dos passos necessários a fim de trabalhar no Brasil.

Eu tenho uma Gerência de Franquias e de fundo de Desenvolvimento de Negócios, incluindo PR, Marketing e eventos (que incluem escrita, rádio e TV). Estou actualmente realizando um mestrado em TESL (Ensino de Inglês como Segunda Língua) e curso de treinador profissional para ir ao lado deste, bem como aprender Português, pela razão óbvia.

Eu comecei a pesquisar no Reino Unido, Estados Unidos e empresas irlandesas que têm negócios baseados no Brasil. Vou também contactar a Embaixada Inglêsa no Brasil para ver se eles também podem ajudar de alguma maneira.

Alguém tem alguma idéia ou  que pode passar para mim?

Estou ansiosa para ouvir alguma coisa de vocês.

Atenciosamente

Laura

Hi Laura,

So you want to move "across the pond" as Queenie would say? Well, I know like all of us expats you will just love it.

Getting a temporary visa with work permit is a rather tricky business. If you are fortunate enough to find a company here that will give you a concrete job offer then chances are that they will look after all of the details of obtaining the visa, CPF, Carteira de Trabalho, etc. It is almost impossible to change the type of visa from within Brazil, so if you come here on a tourist visa, for example, don't expect to find a job and then just apply for a modification of the visa... that would be too simple for the Brazilian way of doing things, unfortunately.

If on the other hand you have been thinking about coming here for a holiday anyway you could combine that with a serious period of job hunting. Come here with a tourist visa, which allows a 90 day stay (extendable for a further 90 days) and start looking around for a position here. You can arrange all the details, confirm the job and all that good stuff then when you return home apply for your temporary visa and work permit. As I said it is difficult to apply for any kind of change to a visa here, but don't let that stop you from trying if you do find a job. It certainly is worth a try and maybe the company has some insight into that possibility that I do not.

Also, read over my posting "A Gringo's Survival Guide for Brazil" it's packed with all kinds of things you will need to know.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Hi William!

Thank you for getting back to me, much appreciated indeed. I now have more of an insight as to what to look/look out for and what to do in advance.

Whilst writing, would you know of any directories in Brazil that hold information, such as a list of UK/USA/Irish companies which are based (or have part of their organisation) there?

I shall read your survival guide this evening over a nice cup of tea!

Best Regards

Laura

I'm not aware of any directories per se, however most of the global companies are here in Brazil - Cadbury Schweppes, Unilever, Danone, Nestlé, Proctor & Gamble, GE, Johnson & Johnson, Coca-Cola and Pepsico, etc., etc., so I would recommend just doing a Google search of company names and add "BRASIL" to the end. That surely will give you lots to check out. Most of the sites will probably have some kind of link to their HR department too. Good luck.

Cheers,
James

Hi James

Many thanks indeed, will commence my search over the weekend.

Best Regards

Laura

Laura,

Since you have a background in Public Relations and Marketing you may want to get in contact with Millward Brown probably located in London, a British based global marketing firm. Millward Brown Brazil located here in São Paulo is the center for all of Latin America and they serve an incredible number of well known worldwide clients throughout Latin America. Perhaps they could find something for you here in São Paulo, it's certainly worth a try. Most important of all start learning Portuguese ASAP it will be absolutely necessary here and every penny you pay for a course is an investment in your future. I have a few students at Millward Brown here in São Paulo and I am there twice a week. From everything I have seen it is a wonderful place to work. If they do have a position here and offer you a job they will almost certainly handle all of the formalities as far as documentation is concerned.

Hi

Thanks so much for the tips, I will definitely look into this  over the weekend (and read your blog too, as not yet had chance).

I am currently learning Portuguese and understand how vital this is going to be for me.  My aim is to work for a larger organisation, such as the ones you mentioned and then teach English as a second job/line of work (or if that fails, to work full-time teaching English).

I am planning a two week trip to Brazil for a few months time.  If I start researching now and doing as much as I can from here, I will hopefully have a few interviews lined up for during my trip.....That's ‘the plan' so far anyway!

Keep in touch

Best Regards

Laura

Hi Laura,
I saw your posts  and I can help you with the portuguese, If you want. I need to practice my english, because I intend to live in London in september this year.

Regards,

Deisy.