How to build a house???

Hi,I wonder about build a house,
  Is it easy to get the license??
  Anybody can buy a land and start to build??
   Please I need info,thanks.

:/

Hi johnny20,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I hope other members will be able to help you.

I wish you good luck in your search.
Christine

Before you build from scratch, you will need to have a project plan and design from an architect. That project has to meet the local standards and the land use designation. After approval, you can build the plan from the project. There are limits on size based on the amount of land yo intend to build on and how the land is designated.

Hey. You can buy any land and build on it, providing theres permission to build. You have to go to your local town hall ''Camara municipal'' and ask.
Get advice from them before you buy any land or woodland. Not only because you might not get building permision, but you can also be stuck without electricity, water, or phone line. And having these brought in can cost a lot of money. Alternatively you can always generate your own electricity (If you are in the algarve this is probably a good idea because its sunny most of the time) and dig a well.
Please be careful with dodgy estate agents who will sell land at any cost. In any doubt always turn to the town hall who will give you proper advice.

Good luck!:)

Hi,
Sometimes is easier to buy an old house in ruins and rebuild it. You find plenty of houses needing partial or total refurbishment. If you are creative there is a lot you can do in one of those beautiful old houses in need for restoration.
Other option you have is build on wood or other non-permanent material that you can (at least theoretically) take from the property. In these cases, most "municipios" will be giving licenses to build with less bureaucracy. In some places it is the only way you can build, like in many of the nature preservation areas.

Hi,
I moved to Portugal this past summer.  I'm an Architect working with a local company building wood frame homes. The same way we did back in the US.  Let  me know if your still looking I can help you with the whole process.

samrods wrote:

Hi,
Sometimes is easier to buy an old house in ruins and rebuild it. You find plenty of houses needing partial or total refurbishment. If you are creative there is a lot you can do in one of those beautiful old houses in need for restoration.
Other option you have is build on wood or other non-permanent material that you can (at least theoretically) take from the property. In these cases, most "municipios" will be giving licenses to build with less bureaucracy. In some places it is the only way you can build, like in many of the nature preservation areas.

Samrods: I want to purchase two properties like you describe. I found them already, but for I purchase: Do you know how easy/difficult it is to change the building permission for a house with an area of 100m2 to i.e. 250m2?

Thanks,

SZC

Hi Subzero_Cool.

The best option is for you to get some information on that on the urban planning department of the local "Câmara Municipal".
That is because there are some restrictions on the amount of area you are allowed to add to an existing building depending on the area of the property, area of existing building and land classification, etc. and every municipality has its own specific rules on building restrictions/permisions and how to develop its urban and rural areas.

This is the best advice I can give you at the moment.

increase the area of x 2,5 , thats asking for problems.

You would be asked to conduct the process as if its a new building.
You can always ask for a "PIP" [ pedido de informação prévia ] to the municipality.

@samrods

Hi,

Very interesting information. Would the same rule apply to log and frame houses? There is a famous log house manufacturer in Europe-Honka. Do you think putting one of their smaller models will qualify as a temporary building?
Thanks in advance for your help.

a "temporary building" qualification will not need a construction permit per se [ with all specialities ] , only a simple permit will be asked and one would need to plus the house to the electricity and water/waisted water system.

HI JOhny,

first of all , please no offence 'to whom it may concerned ' I hear many incompetent things of the people of work for the  government - in general - 'most of them'.. each of the person you talk to from the same department could tell you different things sounds like a joke in the end..

inmy experiences working in construction and designing residential, I highly recommended CASA VIVA OBRAS,
They will give you free PROFESSIONAL RELIABLE  informations about all related issues to constructions and renovations..  .. and if you decided to with them ... its their job to organize all necessarily things related to the current applied law.

they give you the free services to advice and suggest the best companies to do the construction and help you to bargain with the best deal you could ever had.. for sure... bcz they have excellent project manager that knows exactly what needed tobe done and how much should it cost in order have a good quality of works...

many construction companies give you different jobs list with different prices .. so you never could have a fare transparent list to compare.. but that is how they made their profits.

however .. to try gives you nothing to loose as long its free .of charge .. casavivaobras ( youtube in english/spanish/dutch/portuguese, website in portuguese/spanish) but each of their staff speaks english very well

good luck
wish you a hommy  house   

Cj