Rent a flat or a house in Porto

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Porto. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Porto.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Porto?

How to find a home in Porto: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hello,

To rent anything in Porto, you need to have a "cartão de contribuinte". Just go to "Loja do Cidadão" and register at the tax department.

Then it all depends on what you want to rent. You can find small houses in very social neighbourhoods from 200 euros but then it usually is what we call "ilha": self constructed housing with no quality.
For something decent, the minimum you will pay would be 250 for a studio (T0), 320 for a T1 (1 bedroom), 400 for a T2,...
It all depends where you want to live and in what conditions.

You should start by OLX.pt for classified, or custo justo. It is no use to go to agencies. Also walk in the streets, people put little signs everywhere when it is for rent and above all: Talk to the inhabitants (and small shops)  when you like the place, they might know a place. That 's how you find the best deals, but you have to go there several times before they trust you and give you the info...

My advice would be to check if there is no water coming in and if the thermal insulation is ok.

Good luck!

Hi charlotte1982!

Thanks for your help ;)

Armand

Why do you say "It is no use to go to agencies"? I am moving to Lisbon and my plan was to find an agent to take me apartment hunting.

How can someone who doesn't speak the language and doesn't know the area find a suitable place to rent?

Because here, people only give it to agencies when they have a hard time to find someone to live in their apartment. All the other people (the ones that have a decent apartment and therefore have no trouble finding a client) they refuse to let the agencies find a client. (I worked in an agency for a while.) If an agency has is it's because it is not good or because it is too expensive.
People usually put little panels on the window with a phone nr.
I suggest you go for a walk in the city and when you find a place you like, start looking for the pannels. In Lisboa there are not so many bad zones, just stay away from Martim Moniz and from the trainline to sintra. The rest is just a question of finding what you like. busy, calm, transportations... it all depends where you need to go and what type of life you seek.
In the supermarkets (pingo doce), there are a lot of anouncements or online, on olx.pt

Oh, something else, don't live IN bairro alto. It might seem friendly during the day but at night you won't be able to sleep.

Thank you Charlotte. That is very helpful. Unfortunately, I don't know any Portuguese, don't have transportation, and don't know the area, so do you think getting an agent may still be a good idea? I found a site for Rose Real Estate and their rental listings all look really nice, not throw-away stuff at all: (moderated) They do seem to have only expensive listings. I would love to hear your opinion on them, if you have heard of them. Someone else suggested that I just try ReMax.

Also, will a month-to-month or 4 month lease be a problem? Since I don't know if I will succeed in getting a residence permit, I won't be able to sign a 12 month lease.

Hi Vestavia,

Lisboa and Porto are very different cities. Porto is more "social", so people are not used to the internet yet. Finding my apartment here was a lot of long walks and newspaper ads,...
Before living in Porto, I lived in Lisboa for one year and within a week I had found my dream apartment in the "baixa" on the internet, without speaking a word of portuguese. Most young people speak english, older sometimes speak french.

I don't know that agency. They seem to have nice things, a bit overpriced though. It will be the same at Remax and Era, they are the leaders of the real estate market in Portugal.

Either way, you won't have difficulties to find something. I guess it feels safer to have some options already when you get there, I totally get it.

Thanks. Can you tell me a little about the typical lease on these rentals I am seeing on olx.pt? Is the typical lease one year, with penalties if you leave after 3 or 4 months? I am looking to start with something month-to-month, or 4 months at the longest because I may get denied a residency permit and have to leave (not likely, but possible.) Is that going to be a problem?

Also, should I try and negotiate the prices I am seeing in the ads?

Usually people make a 5year contract but you can go away before. Legally you have to tell your landlord you are moving out 4 month before you go away. (that's for the legal part)

Now practically, you should have an agreement with the landlord from the start. A lot of people rent month by month in Lisboa , the problem is the price.

You might find something on "bquarto" (the website), or clickflatshare.com

Hi I love in uk I am a Portuguese citizen and I want move back home I looking for a place around porto or surrounding areas  looking for around 300 euros a month may I get some help.

Thanks

Hello Paul,

Please note that this is an old thread. I invite you to create an advert in the Housing in Porto section of the website as I will be closing this thread.

All the best

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed