British Food/Pubs/Tea - Bucharest

Hi

Does anyone know any good English/Irish pubs that sell traditional English food? The links from former posts seem to be out of date. Even if there are some local dwellings that seem to be popular with English/Irish expats that would be nice.

I am also looking for any English friends, female or male around the ages of 20-30.

Also anyone know where I could find some PGtips? This is the most important expat requirement for me ;)

Hi hannsie,

A lot of the British expats hang out at a few of the Irish pubs. I don't know if there's a specific night they go there but you'll probably find them in The Dubliner (Titulescu), The Harp (Unirii), Whispers (near Cismigiu Park), or Mojo (club in the old town). Most of them serve food of the typical pub type (chicken and mushroom pie, fish and chips, shepherd's pie, etc) but I don't know if it's any good.

There's a pub in Lipscani (the historic centre) called Beer O'Clock where you can buy bottled English ales (mostly by Green King and Fullers, if I remember correctly) including some IPAs.

For supplies from England you could try either www.expatshop.ro if he is still in business. He has PG Tips and Yorkshire I think, but it'll be double the price on the packet. Alternatively there's British Corner Shop, although it's not really worth ordering from them unless you order an entire box of stuff, as delivery is about 20 quid for Romania. There is also a Whittards in one (or more) of the malls, if memory serves, although you probably won't get PG there, you'll be able to get other types of black tea. Most supermarkets, like Mega Image, have some Earl Grey or English Breakfast Tea in stock. I just bring a few boxes of my favourite tea back with me, or get mates/relatives to pack a few when they come over.

If you want to meet some more expats, including a lot of Brits, you should join one of the Bucharest Meet-Ups (google it). They often organise various events for expats and Romanians. Never been to one myself, not my thing really, but they seem quite popular and a good way to meet other people with similar interests.

Best of luck,
Mike

hi
Ive sent you a message :)
susie

You might find some more expats on a site like britishexpats.com.