Um Manila, Philippines

Hi Guys -

I'm trying to get a general idea of the cost of living in Manila, Philippines. I *may* be moving there in the future, and would like to have an idea of how much things cost before going ... 

How much is rent in Manila for a one bedroom/studio apartment, and how much does rent vary from place to place in Manila? I'm not looking for expat accomodation, just something halfway decent with working running water (hot/cold), airconditioning, electricity, etc etc - furnished to a degree if possible.

General things - how much does a cheap meal cost, and what types of food are available? Can one find western food at an afforable rate, or is it pricey (as Western food tends to be in most Asian nations)? How much does a beer cost? 

Umm ... OK, what are the different type of mobile phone plans one can get, and how expensive are these? And shopping - how expensive is it to buy clothes (just regular T shirts, jeans, etc - no brand names)? Is there home delivery available for most items as is the case in most of Asia, or ... ?

I perused a few posts here on the forum, but couldn't really find what I was looking for (though I might not have looked in the right places). If I did ask something thats been asked before here, my apologies, and please direct me to the appropriate page/URL.

By the way, this is my first post here on the forum ... Hope to be able to contribute something of use here, and look forward to interacting with everyone. I've lived in China as an expatriate before, so if anyone has any questions on China, feel free to shoot 'em my way, and I'll do my best to answer. :top:

About it for now.

:cheers:

Rahul

PS: Is there a "search" feature on here? :)

Welcome Rahul!

Have you read these blogs? https://www.expat.com/en/directory/asia/philippines/

Julien

Julien wrote:

Welcome Rahul!

Have you read these blogs? https://www.expat.com/en/directory/asia/philippines/

Julien

Hi Julien -

Thanks for that link!! No, I had not read the blogs there, but will definitely do so now. Looks to be a great resource ... :):cheers:
Rahul

Well, I got through most of the blogs, but didnt really find what I was looking for.

I guess I'll search some more on the internet, then. :)

Let us know what you've found :D

Not directly related to cost of living, but thought you might find this interesting as well:
http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?nam … pic&t=9752

Rahul,

Here's some input on the questions you asked. Hope this helps:

-- Apartments in Metro Manila can run from $2-300 (or Php10-15,000). Bear in mind that you will need anywhere from 3-6mos deposit to lease. Makati is the most expensive area to rent, but is also very central, convenient for jobs etc. You can do well outside of Makati, however.

--- Beer (for local brands) is around PHP50 in your average bar. Western food is widely available and you can have a good meal for around PHP200 on up (w/out alcohol) or $4.00.

--- Phone run the gambit. But your best bet (unless your company is buying) is to grab a second hand unit and a prepaid SIM. You can spend as much or as little as you want, but I would plan to pay around $60/PHP3,000 for a decent Nokia.

--- Clothes can be had very cheaply for basics — go to the knock-off malls and get quality "Ralph Lauren or Levis" jeans for $10-20.00 and t-shits for $2-5.00. My tailors comes over and delivers, but that's a little different.

Also check out my blog — less nuts and bolts than you're asking, but might be handy nevertheless: www.manilamuse.com

Hope this helps. Contact me if you have any questions.

----
HBF

http://www.angeles-philippines.com/

Good site about Manila and Angeles City.
Site trés bien informé sur  Manille et Angeles City.

cheap meal: 20-35 pesos
cheap tee shirt: 20 pesos
cheap jean: 70 pesos (even less for 2 hand :D)
cheap girl: 50 pesos :D

custom made jeans are about 2,000 only or you can get it free thru this site:

/hitabargain.com/2010/06/17/free-perfect-custom-fit-jeans-by-defacto/