Istanbul Question

Hello-

I am traveling to Istanbul in late September and found what looks like a great apartment to rent for the week although it looks like it is probably out of the way from the city center.  Apparently it is located near the Rumelihisari Fortress, a University and is located on Balti Limani Cad.  I found a map and it looks to me like it is near the O2/E80 and Bosphorus. 

Would it be a long taxi ride to the main areas people visit?  Generally speaking, are the taxi drivers honest and is it expensive to ride a taxi in Istanbul?  Sure would appreciate your comments. 

Thanks-Adrianne

Hi, well it looks quite far from the centre - meaning beyoglu and sultanhamet.
Taxi is a cheap service, taking in account westerners' standards. Drivers have not a good grasp of english but they are willing to help; moreover they are extremely honest - more than once they gave me good advices loosing on the table good money for them.
Anyway my advice is to look for an apartment in besiktas, it's probably a better deal in terms of value for money. Closer to centre and you can take advantage of public transportation (metro, tram).

ciao

j

Thank you so much for your help!!!
Adrianne

Wow you are way off. Isn't that near Bosphorus University?

Nevertheless, that area is beautiful and you can cab to Levent, hop on a metro to Taksim from there and cab to Sultanahmet or even walk from there.

There was a news on Tv yesterday, saying taxi rates are increased, bad news but I think taxi rates are still cheap.