Move to rotterdam

Hi all,

Im currently in the process of finalising a job offer to work for company based just north of Rotterdam based near Rozenburg. Living in Holland seems a daunting prospect and the forums I looking at don't seem to answer the questions that I have so I thought I would join and ask them myself.

The move if it happens will be September October time of this year. I will be moving over with my partner and we are looking for a two bedroom apartment.

This is my first hurdle. I can only seem to find one rentals site that will let me look at properties without paying a monthly subscription fee; this is pararius.com, don't get me wrong this is a good site, but I would like to have a look at others.

It is also very hard to compare locations of different apartments as I have no idea where is nice and where is not.
Ideally the apartment needs to be near the Rotterdam city centre or with good transports links to centre, shops etc. we are a couple in are early 20's so are looking for an area with a lot going on. I need to be able to reach the rozenburg area within half hour 40mins. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A PARTICULAR AREA OR AT LEAST SUGGEST NO GO AREAS? ANY INPUT WOULD BE HELPFUL.

The next thing is cost of living. I read that there is compulsory health insurance of around a 100euroes a month pp?

What would I expect water gas and electricity bills to cost?

What is the other living costs/tax that I would be liable for and how much typically are they?

What are the foods prices like compared to England? Is it hard to obtain English ingredients?

How would I get English football on TV? Is it possibly to get many English channels? Is so with what sort of service (cable, satellite?) and how much does it cost?

What are internet providers like? Do they do phone internet TV packages? Is so can anyone recommends any or refer me to English written sites?

Honestly how hard is the language to learn?

Would it be essential for my girlfriend to learn the language to obtain a job in architecture? (obviously this is a very specific question so don't expect an answer but an answer reflecting on the prospect of a non Dutch speaking university graduate finding a job quickly?

I understand there are a lot of questions there but any information would be helpful especicaly about which area to look for appartmens in or other sites.

Hi Jimi   

Im a Dutch citizen but my boyfriend is English he still lives in the UK  so we can compare things.
I live in Waddinxveen that is about 20 min from Rotterdam the train coneections are very good around here so if you wouldnt live near Rotterdam centre it should be easy to get there.
Prizes in Holland are about the same as in England  we also have Aldi's and Liddles here so there is a choice.
About your tv and internet connection we have package deals over here about the same as in England phone, tv and internet.
ive got Ziggo and that is guite good.
Im not familiar with housing near Rotterdam so i cant help you on that front but you do need that health insurance maybe your future imployer could help you with that.
Hope to have been of some help feel free to ask more maybe i canbe of any help  and good luck.
greetings Wilma.  Waddinxveen.

Hai Jimi,

As I am immigrating to Australia the First of September the appartment I'm renting will be available. It's a penthouse in the citycentre of Rotterdam a really nice place to stay, furnished. It's 1500 euro a month. It's a lot af money, but for living in the city centre that luxurious it's cheap.And direct with owner so no registration or other fees.
I understand the frustation of renting appartments because since we sold our house we experienced the same. All agencies ask a one month's rent for intermediations cost excl taxes. If your're are looking for a place look on marktplaats (a dutch ebay site) and look for appartments which are rented out direct by owners.  You also can check out the site enormo.nl. It's a site where different brokers show there properties so you can check out some properties before you register.
If you haven any questions just ask!
Greetings Laura