Safety in Nairobi

Hi All,

Whats the word on the street in Nairobi? Is it safe to go there now? Media here keeps talking about terrorism- is this true?  Are there any areas in Nairobi that are at risk?

check this blog africaexpatwivesclub.blogspot.com/ it gives a good picture of whats happening

hi
Nairobi is the central city and people tend to take interest in big towns to voice there opinion but all together Nairobi is a nice and safe city as they come with there pro and cones i have lived there all my life and if you give yourself a chance you will have fun. keep a positive mind.

Hey boss, no need to worry much, its more safer than what you hear. Live here and then decide weather safer or not. I also had the same opinion as yours before coming to kenya. But i feel what ever people told in media is wrong, this is the best place in east africa...

The City Centre and upmarket areas of Nairobi are fine to walk around in, during the day.  As with any city, don't 'flash' expensive mobiles, camera, watch etc and just be aware of your surroundings (personally, I would recommend against using an mp3/headphones).  Keep out of slum areas and most of the suburbs to the East of the city centre.

It isn't safe to walk on the streets at night, so if you go out, make sure that you have transport arranged to get you to/from your venue.

The recent terrorist incidents have happened near the Somali Border (too far away to be of any concern).  The recent incidents in Nairobi were targetted at areas where expats are highly unlikely to be and they caught the guy anyway.

Its infortunate that the western press revel in negative reportage about Kenya, but I guess that is the way of the world.

It's OK, as said Longonot62, it's relatively safe - much safer than in Paris or New York suburbs or subways :)

Nairobi is safe place to live in.I have seen many countries but Nairobi is far better..........................