Organize your move to Cape Verde

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Cape Verde.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Cape Verde:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Cape Verde ?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Cape Verde ?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Cape Verde?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

In answer to your questions.

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?
I suggest that anybody looking to move to CV, first does a thorough reccie trip and due diligence.
CV is very much an emerging market, so foodstuffs and luxury goods are limited.

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?
Like most countries, you can import personal goods without duty, although brand new and boxed items will incur duty.
There are several furniture & electrical goods suppliers in CV – good to shop around & make comparables. Savings on buying & importing your own f&f are nominal.

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Cape Verde?
Same as most countries – seeded items need to be checked. Processed food no problem, meat off the bone okay – etc etc

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Cape Verde?
Depends on the car. Used car importation duty is very high. You can buy African spec vehicles very cheaply and import. I have a great contact for this. There are a few CV dealers & costs are high. Again, do your own DD & comparables.

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Cape Verde?
Rent first and pack light (perhaps take an extra suitcase or two as pre-booked excess baggage). I suggest give yourself 3mths to familiarise yourself. Importation by sea or air is hassle free with the right agent.

Very welcoming expat community (many nationalities). Very sociable place. Self employment is typically better, as quality jobs are limited. Lots of business opportunities & it's a buyers market for real estate.

Contact me if you need any further advice.

John Vollands

Thanks for helping John ;)

Armand

Thanks for the info John .
B.Wills

Hello BWills,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

John might not read your post since his reply dates back to a quite a while and he is no longer that active on the forum.

I would suggest that you go through the latest threads on the Cape Verde forum to acquaint yourself with information which is more up-to-date.

You are most welcome as well to create your own thread to ask any questions you may have :)

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Many many thanks
B.Wills

Hello house pls I need your help on how to relocate to cape verde from Nigeria
I also need a genuine immigration officer that can help me in pls