World Traveller Wants to Move to Panama

Hi,

My name is Samuel Colon and I'm originally from Puerto Rico (Ponce), but for the past 33 years I have been living in the USA. I'm retired now and looking to move again, this time to Panama. I have been all over the world, first with the military, later with the Peace Corps, and finally with Aid for International Development (federal agency). My annual pensions are over $3,000 and I'm single. My Spanish is excellent and I'm looking to connect with other Puertoricans in Panama.I don't have any problems connecting with people from other countries as I'm a very friendly person. I would like to know:

1. About a place close to the beach (1 hour drive) that has good hospitals, movies, churches of diferent denominations, and grocery stores.

2. A place where I can volunteer to do something (have a PhD in econimics with lots of experience).

3. A place with lots of social activities and place to exercise (got mantain the little I have left from the good days of excellent shape).

4. Place with good neighbors (yes, I know this could go either way)

5. Place with minimal amounts of bugs and reptiles

Having requested this information, I can adapt to any situation as growing up in Puerto Rico the living conditions were not the best, but those were the best times of my life.

Thanks in advance,

Samuel

Hello Samuel,
To run down your list....

1. The only place in Panama with excellent hospitals is in Panama City. There are good hospitals in David, but they refer many cases to Panama City, because they don't have the facilities. There are movie plexes in David, Santiago, Chitré and Panama. All larger metropolitan areas have churches of many denominations. There are supermarkets in just about every town with a population of more than 4,000, many places, and there are grocery stores a stones throw from any place in Panama, mas o menos.

2. Panama City would be the place to start looking - Everything that is in Panama, businesswise, will be in Panama City. It is the heart and hub of just about everything in this country.

3. Many expat and exercise activities in Panama City, futbol, baseball, bicycling are popular here.

4. Every area has pluses and minuses. You have to choose carefully.

5. This being a tropical country, insects and reptiles are a daily part of life here. If you live in, for example, a high rise in Panama City, you would minimize your exposure to most of them.
The dry side of Panama (Pacific) has less insects, especially if you live out in the open, away from vegetation. There are ways to reduce the pests, but most of them are not bothersome.

Although I've lived here in Panama in three different places during the past 10 years, there are things to learn just about every day, so my advice to you, to form your own feelings and to get your own opinion is to fly down here, spend some time exploring and getting to know the culture and your location options. It is a very diverse country, very poor in some things and and very rich in others.

Holadebeto,

Thanks for the information, I will seriously consider your advice. It sure sounds like Panama is a great place to retire.

Take care,

Samuel

Hi Samuel,to answer your question. We have a beach front home that is located in a gated community and is available for long term lease. The house is unfurnished, and comes with all new appliances. It is great for fishing and the gated community offers lots of amenities. Please check out our web site.   It also includes links on retiring in Panama that will answer many of your questions.

Brian 

http://sites.google.com/site/panamahouseforlease

Thanks for the information, unfortunately that house is too big for just one person, I will keep you as a resource and as time approches for me to leave I will get in touch with you. Thanks again!

Samuel