New to Panama City

Hello Panama Network,

I'm Canadian and moved to Panama in May 2011.  I'm a freelance graphic designer and web designer... which means I work long hours from home and it's driving me crazy!  Looking to meet other expats in the community and I'm also interested in volunteer work if anyone knows of any opportunities.

Thanks much!

Pam

Hi Pam,

I'm afraid that we don't live in Panama YET, but we are getting out things in order to move! I was wondering if you know anything about residency or working visas? We are a family of four and really want to make Panama our home. Are you enjoying it down there? Is there anything we should be aware of before we come?

Hi Ashtondsharp!  Thanks for contacting me.  Unfortunately I don't know much about residency and working visas... I'm living here on a tourist visa which means I can stay in the country for 6 months at a time.  When the 6 months is almost up, I take cheap flights to Costa Rica or Colombia, stay for 3 days and my tourist visa is renewed once I go back to Panama (but I must have a flight OUT of Panama to show to immigration and customs upon my return).

How old are the children you're travelling with?  I'm here living with my boyfriend and so far life here is awesome!  I still have the comforts and ammenities I'm used to back home in Canada minus the cold of course!  I feel just as safe here as I did back in Toronto and the people are nice and friendly. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to help!

Pamela