Pink Slip and NHS

Hi all again-thank you for your advice on the criminal check. My lawyer has said I need a ACRO police certificate and to get apostille via uk gov website.

Another question please- am I right In thinking that the pink slip Is temp. residency for 1 year and therefore I can still access NHS hospital visits / tests, treatment  etc free of charge. ?

Many thanks

Jeff

@Walnutted Once you have your pink slip your place of residence is Cyprus. At that point you are no longer a resident of the UK.  As access to the NHS is based on residency you will no longer be able to access the NHS. The only exception to this is if you are a holder of an S1.

You should also consider once you have your pink slip where you will be Tax Resident. This is different for everyone and is dependant on how you receive your Income.

Are you a retiree?

@Walnutted Once you have your pink slip your place of residence is Cyprus. At that point you are no longer a resident of the UK.  As access to the NHS is based on residency you will no longer be able to access the NHS. The only exception to this is if you are a holder of an S1.
You should also consider once you have your pink slip where you will be Tax Resident. This is different for everyone and is dependant on how you receive your Income.

Are you a retiree?

-@MacGeorge8035

You can use the NHS with an EHIC.

@SimCityAT Yes you can providing you are on GESY and can get an EHIC. However, EHIC should only be used for emergencies or urgent medical needs, not general medical tests or investigations.

Hi Walnutted,

If you are retired then you can apply for an S1 form which entitles you to use HNS. Also if you are of working age, you are still entitled to an S1 form but its a lot more complex and it needs to be issued by the HMRC, not the department of health like when retired.

Also as you will be pink slip, you will also have to have private health insurance, they don't cover current health issues, however if you don't have you can take advantage of that.

Another thing to consider is, if you are of working age and you have a UK ltd, and if you WON'T be issuing yourself a P45 upon departure to CY. Then simple keep yourself on your UK Ltd as both Director and Employee, then pay yourself in the UK at the national insurance threshold, then take the rest to CY as dividend. This way you are still entitled to UK NHS as far as I understand, as you are paying National Insurance in the UK.

You would want to check all the above with an immigration lawyer as I'm a nobody who knows nothing, but the above should give you a good starting point.

Thank you for your answer....damn...I read that It was regarded as a tourist extension visa , for those that wish to stay longer than 90 days and therefore It would not affect access to NHS.

I am not eligible for state pension for another 5.5 years....

@ileautomobilesThank you, food for thought. Will run past the lawyer...appreciated

@MacGeorge8035I need to have regular checks ups......damn....

Gesy the NHS in Cyprus is available for people who have paid in or are in recpt of UK state pension. Not sure if PR entitles you. Private health cover is a requirement as well with repatriation in the event of death.

There is a list as long as your arm of documents and procedures to follow to apply for temp residency. I get confused with the pink slip yellow slip stuff. I applied for Temp residency in Jan 23 and recvd the yellow slip in March 23. The list of requirements change regularly as does the funds that need to be deposited in a CYPRIOT bank account. You should ask the lawyer for the full list and get all the UK docs before leaving the UK and bring them with you. Once in Cyprus it will take several months to get the immigration appointment and then obtain the visa. Mine took 3 month. There is a biometric card that gets issued and this is required to swap your UK driving license for Cypriot and other things. This card does not get delivered for a very long time. I have been waiting 18 month and still not issued. You will see some of the other threads with details. You will need a blood test and x-ray in Cyprus and the Lawyer will be able to dirtect you for this. Only cost me 68.00 eur for both of us and the results are collected the following working day.

If you do not already have the list of requirements get this ASAP and start ticking them off. Be prepared for a long journey and a very slow response. Just thought I would put this all out in case you are now aware of some things. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

@SimCityAT

Cyprus residents can apply for Cyprus issued EHIC subject to conditions being met

You can still visit a NHS hospital as a visitor in emergency's but not your GP as far as I know..... But people still do ..I know lots of people with Cyprus residency who still.go to their NHS GP and hospitals ... No wonder the NHS struggles

Permanent residency entitles  the holder to full access to.GESY

@Walnutted do you have a limited company in the UK?

Thanks everyone-really appreciate you all taking the time. Here's my short story: I have been dealing with bladder cancer , following having a cancerous kidney removed, for circa 4 years. Following chemo/radiation last September , I have been clear for 6 months-but bladder cancer Is the most re-occurring cancer of all so I have to have 3 monthly and 6 monthly checks, with appropriate treatment to follow If tests are not good. I assume treatment will take weeks/months. Two years ago, given the diagnosis, I thought 'sod It' and sold my house and travelled. I came to Cyprus, loved It, made some good friends, Inc. locals and now want some stability in terms of place and accomodation and Cyprus would be ideal for me. I do not have a company or work, I live off a moderate pension and savings and do some small online work. My lawyer said he has no knowledge of NHS access after getting Pink Slip. So I will try to find an appropriate NHS Overseas helpline to find out but I am sure they will say the same as you guys. If It Is a no then that's fine , I can stay In 3 month batches-but airbnb costs are almost double that of renting as a resident so there Is lots to consider. apologies for long message but just wanted to give my enquiries context. :) Jeff

Fair play to ya.....You could still rent long term get a decent deal even if you only stay within the 90 /180.but obviously property would be empty in your absence...  Unless you could find a trustworthy sharer...  Or can get friends or family to make use of the property in your absence.....

Cheapest airbnbs tend to be 35 -75 a night...and the rates go up in summer... I still think you could get a 1bed apartment within budget and still beat the Airbnb...even with 50% absence. Remember 90 180 is a rolling period and so you could do a month then a month in UK and so on and still be within the rules and time it so that your treatments / checks etc coincide with the UK breaks...You don t have to be a full resident to rent a property all year round or indeed own a property... What you do and your status has no bearing on a rental contract... Most landlords don't give a toss and only want the money

Now if You had access to an Irish passport then the game changes significantly .. eu passport holders are not monitored as strictly as TcNs.. and are given a lot of leeway on many things but there is no guarantee that that will remaIn the same over time

It's a difficult one for sure am sure other contributors will have some ideas which may be of interest

@ToonThanks Toon- I am coming over next week so will make enquiries along those lines.

I have 25 days left out of the 90. Just out of interest, once I use up my 25 days , do I have to wait 90 days or 180 days before I can return? Always does my nut In trying to figure It out-haha

Not necessarily as it's a rolling 90 in 180 so ..it's moving all the time if unsure use the online Schengen calculator to help you.

Remember its 90 days in Cyprus in a rolling 180 day period... So you just need to record your dates of entry and exit the Schengen calculator will help you 100%...every day that passes ..the 180 day period moves a day

You didn't say which part of the island you have stayed that will dictate rental rates

You've probably got more than that.. how long will you  have you been out of Cyprus before coming back in

Use this calculator to calculate 

https://ec.europa.eu/assets/home/visa-c … tm?lang=en

Also, don't leave it to the last day to leave.

Thanks again:

Dates: Entry: 9/1/23 Exit:9/3/23

Entry:14/7/23 Exit:23/7/23

Entry:18/11/23

Exit: 21/1/24

I think calc. gives me 24 days left.

TBH the rolling figure concept I have never got-mental block. haha

I am looking at the Limassol area - city is expensive-so surrounding area-saw an apartment in Pissouri for 650 quid a month.

Never heard that about not leaving on last day- always thought you had to use all your days up before the 90 resets again..but this type of maths is not my stringpoint.

Once again thanks!

Am I right in thinking If I wait til 21/5 then i get 90 days?  does my brain in.

@Walnutted maybe you should consider the Larnaca area. Property is a little cheaper there and Larnaca is a less busy

@MacGeorge8035yes and I do like Larnaca, It's just that the people I know and am friends with are In Limassol and I would prefer to be around people I already have a relationship with.

@Toonhi toon- I have just used the calc you sent(diff to the one i used) and it says , based on the dates I gave below , If I enter Cyprus on 15/05/24 then I have 90 days?

Please could you double check , see If you agree...many thanks-Jeff

entry 9/1/23 exit 9/3/23

entry 14/7/23

exit 23/7/23

entry 18/11/23

exit 21/1/24

Proposed entry-15/5/24

That is correct

Because you haven't been in Cyprus for over 90.days you new stay starts whenever you want it to

I would suggest Larnaca or Paphos for a more reasonable rental.  Maybe even Paralimni region depending on what you want from the area

@ToonBrilliant, thanks. And thanks for the location tips. :)

Much depends what you want ...Paphos is an all.year round location lots of young at heart retirees early retirees too of all nationalities...

If the east is your target I'd go for Larnaca or Paralimni region..

Limassol is so so expensive to rent even the locals cant afford to rent there and have moved out ..

As for Pissouri ...a nice place but not sure how active it is... Isn't it a part of Limassol district

Bearing in mind that you are a few years away from state pension and thus private healthcare cover with your health issues would be very expensive. I'd be a little concerned at income level and Cyprus  cost of living..everything is a lot more expensive than it used to be.,  But like most things it depends on your expected lifestyle, your needs and wants and the things you want to do ...

Good luck

@SimCityAT
Cyprus residents can apply for Cyprus issued EHIC subject to conditions being met

You can still visit a NHS hospital as a visitor in emergency's but not your GP as far as I know..... But people still do ..I know lots of people with Cyprus residency who still.go to their NHS GP and hospitals ... No wonder the NHS struggles

-@Toon

It is a grey area, as I've seen a doctor in Wales without any trouble and they knew I wasn't a resident and weren't interested in my Austrian EHIC (I think they just didn't want to do the paperwork), I was then sent to the optician. Again without any issues. I even got free prescription. The pharmacy was quite taken back and confused when I said I was willing to pay.

But this was a small market town and everyone knows everyone.

@SimCityAT

It happens all the time ...

Thanks everyone- with my health requirements I do not want to take the risk re NHS.

But I am very interested In what Toon says about being able to rent long term-6 months would be ideal-w/o having to be a resident. This would be a satisfactory) answer methinks.

Just booked my flight for 15/5-so will make enquiries whilst out there. I know quite a few people In Limassol and I think word of mouth Is probably one of the best ways to find stuff out -as It Is a relatively small city .

Thank you all once again!

@Walnutted

Just to be clear you cannot stay longer than 90 days in a 180 day period... Thus you cannot stay for 6 months continuous. A 6 month rental means only variable length stays up to max total of 90 days within that  6month period  ..

If it is your intention to stay beyond 90 days then residency should be taken.....

It might be worth looking at the long stay visa 

@Walnutted It is a shame you are some years away from getting a state pension as getting an S1 and registering with GESY is a lifesaver. I have a similar story to yours in that I had Rectal Cancer some years ago. I have been cancer-free for over 5 years now.  As soon as I registered for GESY and my GP learned of my history I was sent for tests including the joy of a colonoscopy, All done within 2 weeks of being registered. I am now on the list to receive regular checks, including a colonoscopy every two/three years.

I would explore all possibilities of getting an S1, and speak with the NHS Overseas Business Unit - read this link, [link under review] you may find a way of getting your S1 early

@MacGeorge8035

Good advice

I would explore all possibilities of getting an S1, and speak with the NHS Overseas Business Unit - read this link, [link under review] you may find a way of getting your S1 early

-@MacGeorge8035

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/contact-overs … e-services

@ToonOK-understood. Thanks.

@MacGeorge8035Thank you. Will do and great news re cancer! It certainly Is a life changer! haha.

@Walnutted

Are you on Facebook? If you are, you can also get information on the British in Europe Group

@SimCityATcheers-will give It a look.