Public transportation in the Cook Islands

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in the Cook Islands ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in the Cook Islands?

Thanks in advance for participating!

This is my knowledge of public transportation and transportation in general...

Rarotonga:
On Rarotonga which is a very round, there is a road that goes all the way around the island.
There are busses that go in both directions and in general they come approx every 20 minutes but this may have changed and vary depending on the time of the day. The buss fare is very cheap comparing to European fares.

Air Rarotonga takes passengers from Rarotonga to all of the other islands with a few exceptions. There are also flights between Aitutaki and Atiu.
Flights to the Northern islands are rare and happens at times only once a week.
Round trip flight Rarotonga/Aitutaki costs about NZ$270 (Comparisson €uro 160 / US$ 250) pending a bit on season, time of the day and how early you book.
Flights to the Northern Islands is generally very expensive and have very low luggage allowance.

Taxis exist and is generally quite OK in price. But be careful to make sure about the price before taking off. The only time I have been tricked in Cook Islands is by a Taxi driver in a red Toyota Hiace bus who at arrival charged us the fee of the meter, but per person. We were 6 people traveling and we all had to pay the same price each as if we would only had been one person. We later learned that this kind of behavior is illegal and we should have contacted the police.

Aitutaki:
To my knowledge, there is no public transportation.

As far as I know, there is 1 taxi on Aitutaki.

Some people drive a car, but most people drive motor bike (scooter) on the islands.
In general, walking somewhere will usually make someone stop and ask you friendly if they can give you a ride.

If anyone have more information - please fill in.

:one

Great post