IVS tax exemption

Hello there,

I am moving my vehicle from the UK to Portugal. For the IVS tax exemption, I was told that one of the documents I need is a UK embassy cert stating owner is no longer a UK resident. However, another contact of mine said that the HMRC will not issue one. Does any one know how to obtain one of these certificates? I would appreciate any help.

Hello there,I am moving my vehicle from the UK to Portugal. For the IVS tax exemption, I was told that one of the documents I need is a UK embassy cert stating owner is no longer a UK resident. However, another contact of mine said that the HMRC will not issue one. Does any one know how to obtain one of these certificates? I would appreciate any help.        -@moodleytaylene

Hi and Welcome,

Not sure but you seem to have some confusion there - UK Embassy is NOT  His Maj's Revenue and Customs.

@moodleytaylene

The embassy doesn't give such forms. I would phone the HMRC.

@moodleytaylene,

What is required in Portugal is that you prove that:

- you have owned the vehicle for at least 6 months when you transfer your residence to Portugal - this period is counted from the date of issue of the document proving ownership (registration certificate / title deed) or the date on which the vehicle's leasing contract was signed (in the case of leasing),

- you have bought the vehicle in the country of origin or in a country where you have lived before and have paid all the taxes due in that country, without having benefited from any tax benefit when you brought the vehicle to Portugal.

https://eportugal.gov.pt/servicos/pedir … a-portugal